Dragon #339

Discussing all things Ravenloft
BlackBoxGamer
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Dragon #339

Post by BlackBoxGamer »

Not sure if people have seen this...

I was just over at the Paizo site (paizo.com) and looked at the upcoming issue of Dragon... it has Ravenloft stuff in it! :) Seems they are updating some of the old critters, as well as doing something with Masque of the Red Death.

http://paizo.com/dragon/products/issues/2006/339

I don't know why, but suddenly I have a small spark of hope for Ravenloft's future.

BBG
So many differing fancies have mankind,
That they the master-sprites may spell and bind.
Kel-nage
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Kel-nage »

Yeah, we've (mostly) seen that. However, I would let that spark too much hope. For instance, Planescape is mentioned semi-regularly in Dragon, yet there's no official production of 3rd edition Planescape material (and the online "official" site is a shambles, to be honest).

Then again, I don't let it get me down. If Ravenloft stuff continues to be made by the community, I'm happy :)
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

You could look at it as a means of staying in the public eye.

Settings like Darksun and Ravenloft not only survived the fall of TSR but also continued to increase their fan-base, just by making the occasional appearances in public venues.

What really surprises me is the MotRD spell section. Masque suffered from obscurity for years and years.
Could this appearance possibly lead to a resurgance in popularity?
Evil Reigns!!!!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I got the list of monsters covered in the issue from this post here

Why on earth cover two monsters already covered in RL 3e books?

And by the way, remind me where does the maggot golem comes from?

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:I got the list of monsters covered in the issue from this post here

Because not everyone purchased the books they're covered in and the books will be impossible to purchase in less than a year.

That and they're presenting these creatures to the general DnD audience, who might want to use the creatures but not want to spend 40 bucks on a book to do it.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:I got the list of monsters covered in the issue from this post here

And by the way, remind me where does the maggot golem comes from?

Joël
Maggot Golem is from the Requiem box, created by Yako Vormoff, I believe.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Boccaccio Barbarossa
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Boccaccio Barbarossa »

Though I would like to be excited, I have to agree - let's not get our hopes up too high. After all, I think we can safely assume that the campaign classics, if it IS back as a semi-regular feature implies that we'll have to wait out the rotation each few months in order to get something.

Still, exposure is good. Even better - we might be able to get paid for submissions for our favourite oldies to Dragon!!! :shock: (I own every plaescape product and was VERY dissapointed that it didn't make the cut into 3e. It allowed me to play with my love of classics and philosophy without boring my firends to death! :wink: )

I'm looking forward to see what they have to offer, though....
Barbarossa Vineyards - Fine Brandies. The choice of true connaisseurs. (Located an hour's ride outside of Karina.)

A loose collection of writings about our (sometimes) ongoing campaign. http://ravenloft.inoveryourhead.net/
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Planescape didn't made it? ! ?
But there is the Manual of the Planes and the planar handbook! Sigil is also mentioned somewhere too... What has been left out?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Aslan
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Aslan »

Speaking of Ravenloft poping back up. I noticed WoTC is rereleasing Death of a Darklord again. While I'm sure it's mainly just to cash in on the success of Laura K. Hamilton, I did happen to notice that it was part one of a new Ravenloft Trilogy. I'm wondering if they have either comishioned her to write the other 2 or if this the begining of a Ravenloft novel ressurection.
BlackBoxGamer
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by BlackBoxGamer »

Yeah, we've (mostly) seen that. However, I would let that spark too much hope. For instance, Planescape is mentioned semi-regularly in Dragon, yet there's no official production of 3rd edition Planescape material (and the online "official" site is a shambles, to be honest).
D'oh!

Oh well. I don't read every thread, ya know. ;)

As for it getting my hopes up, well, I'm just happy that they are releasing ANY Ravenloft stuff, whether as a full fledged campaign setting, or just a monster at a time. Just so long as it's good. :)

BBG
So many differing fancies have mankind,
That they the master-sprites may spell and bind.
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

alhoon wrote:Planescape didn't made it? ! ?
But there is the Manual of the Planes and the planar handbook! Sigil is also mentioned somewhere too... What has been left out?
The setting history. Modrons. I'm sure Drinnik or Trebor could mention a few other things. It's the mechanics and references to the other stuff, but the setting itself hasn't been delved into the way, say, the Forgotten Realms has.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Manual of the Planes and the 3.5 update in Player's Guide to the Planes are pretty much the rulebooks and guide to the lands. Not a full reprint of the Planescape setting but enough to use the planes and old products. You can update it yourself. And WotC get to sell products to people who want to use the planes and Planescape fans.

I wish it was that easy to update Dark Sun or Ravenloft.
Algaris
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Algaris »

Just a quick sidetrack. Is there much difference between the Manual of the Planes and the Planar handbook or is it pretty much the same material re-printed?
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I have the manual of the planes and a friend has the planar handbook, and there are many new interesting things there.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Boccaccio Barbarossa
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Boccaccio Barbarossa »

David of the FoS wrote:Manual of the Planes and the 3.5 update in Player's Guide to the Planes are pretty much the rulebooks and guide to the lands. Not a full reprint of the Planescape setting but enough to use the planes and old products. You can update it yourself. And WotC get to sell products to people who want to use the planes and Planescape fans.

I wish it was that easy to update Dark Sun or Ravenloft.
Dragon released a two-part article series about 3e Dark Sun... One of them is 319, I think the other is 318. But yeah - bare bones at best.

As for PlaneScape: yeah they came out with the planar stuff, which is great - I own the manual of th planes, so I'm ESSENTIALLY covered, but what hurts is the lack of campaign development... That's always the best part.
Barbarossa Vineyards - Fine Brandies. The choice of true connaisseurs. (Located an hour's ride outside of Karina.)

A loose collection of writings about our (sometimes) ongoing campaign. http://ravenloft.inoveryourhead.net/