Comics and Graphic Novels

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

DC's Vertigo comics, in general, are about as near to Ravenloft as comics seem to get these days. The same company's late, lamented "House of Mystery" and "House of Secrets" -- not to mention the original EC horror comics -- were a lot closer to Ravenloft. HoM even ran a "vampire hero" serial of its own, a la Jander Sunstar, years before Anne Rice had turned remorseful vampires into a Goth-fad.

Note that "Tales from the Black Freighter", a comic-within-a-comic which appears in "Watchmen", is about as pure, distilled 'Ravenloft' as I've ever seen a graphic novel come.
Last edited by Rotipher of the FoS on Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jonathan Winters »

The Books of Magic by John Ney Rieber, some interesting stuff, lots of Fay... (DC). After he quit, by Peter Gross. Not as good I am sad to say, but some cool stuff. The Wild Hunt. Tim Hunter and his Other...

The Marquis by Guy Davis.
Very moody. Amazing black and white art. The main character is the only one to see the demons...

Maybe the Grendel series by Matt Wagner. Pretty twisted... How the Grendel spirit (or whatever it is) always brings doom to the one who wields it.

How about Hellboy? Mike Mignola. Some good adventure seeds. And a fun read!

Have fun!

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Patrick
Samael Hands of Stone
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Samael Hands of Stone »

I would recommend:

Preacher (ignore timeline, observe story and characters)

League of Extraordinary Gentleman (a bit MotRD but great writing)

Swamp Thing Vol. 1: Saga of the Swamp Thing (can you say Souragne?)

Lucifer: Devil in the Gateway

Frank Miller's Sin City

Hellsing

Garlands of Moonlight

Just google away for more info on these...
"In life, we all have our El Guapos..."
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

totally un-Ravenlofty, but my favorite comic of all time is Sam Kieth's The Maxx. I only mention it because it's a fine example of humanizing a villian without forgetting his past. Mr. Gone is an evil bastard, and when you find out why, it's heartbreaking, but he's still an evil bastard even when you can sympathize with him.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jonathan Winters »

Ah yes... The Maxx... Good (strange) memories...

I did think of Preacher too, but I'm not sure for RL.

You might want to check out Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (story of a guy who ends up in underground London and nobody Above sees him anymore). There is a BBC series on DVD (very low budget but good story) and a novel. They are doing a comic book now, but I have no idea how it is. And how great a name is the Marquis de Carabas anyway?

That's all I can think of for now...
Tired.

Patrick

PS: No Starman fans out here?
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

I cannot overemphasisze. Arkham Asylum! It is a gothics gothic! And I am a Starman fan and I really like the Shade. He's a real gentleman caller.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:The Living and the Dead TP - this one is warped and really gave me the creeps... Dr Frankenstein wants to forget his mistakes of the past. however, a rich woman wants to give enough funds for a new hospital should he accept to put her dying son in a new body... I'll stop there not to give spoilers. It is really creepy, believe me.
My comic hunter made a mistake and bought another copy of this one for me. Instead of having him stuck with it (he's a cool guy), I bought it with the following idea in mind:

Since there are many comic lovers in here, I will send a copy of this book in a random draw betwen those who sent a comic review until Xmas.

One review gives you one chance to get this exquisite comic book. Two reviews will get two chances and so on :)

Send your comic reviews at joel@FraternityOfShadows.com !

Also, if you can: if you have a scanner, please send a few pics of the cover and inside art, or send me a link to online pictures of the comics you are reviewing.

Good luck!

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

Hellsing (Manga)- of all the series' out there, this one is the closest to how Vampires should be. The one problem being that they can go out in day-light. If you watch it, avoid the show after the first 7 or so episodes.

Priest (Manga)- He's a forsaken catholic priest that uses voodoo to kick the snot out of a possessed worshiper of a demon. What else do you need? There is more to it then that, however.

Hellboy- One strip I reccomend in particular is 'Stillborn'
Joël of the FoS

For the record, here's the review we have so far: http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/DR_P ... Novels.htm

It will give you hints on what is requested to participate.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

While looking at the previews, I found that some excellent French comics have been translated to English:

- Raptors, serie of 4 books; quite cool, on an aristocratic vampire race, and vampire killers (A little racy sometimes) (Rapaces)

- Third Testament, serie of 4 books (I know from the previews that the 1st is available, dont know for the others - are they released or are they to be released); excellent. If you liked the name of the rose, this is for you, with the inquisition, religious secrets, lots of action, etc. (Troisième Testament). It's so cool I'm thinking of making it a part of my campaign.

Joël
Joël of the FoS

I already got a few reviews in my email box. Those whishing to participate should do the same :)

Joël
Mad Skipper
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Mad Skipper »

Undead Cabbage wrote: Priest (Manga)- He's a forsaken catholic priest that uses voodoo to kick the snot out of a possessed worshiper of a demon. What else do you need? There is more to it then that, however.
Priest (by Min-Woo Hyung) , while it is labelled Manga/Action/Horror, is actually Manwha/Action/Horror. The difference being that Manga is a Japanese graphic novel, while Manwha is a Korean graphic novel.

But that's just me being picky. :P

And here's an excerpt from the Tokyopop (publisher) website about the main character:

"Ivan Isaacs was a young priest with a passion for ancient cultures when he was recruited to study the Domas Porada. Little did he know that this mission would be his last -- at least his last in life. After helping revive an ancient battle for Heaven and Earth, Ivan and his beloved Gena are slain. In order to get revenge and atone for endangering the world, Ivan makes a pact with the devil Belial: his soul in exchange for a second chance at life ... and superhuman strength. Now Ivan wanders the old west, hunting down Temozarela's disciples and keeping a journal of his tragic tale."
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

Priest (by Min-Woo Hyung) , while it is labelled Manga/Action/Horror, is actually Manwha/Action/Horror. The difference being that Manga is a Japanese graphic novel, while Manwha is a Korean graphic novel.
This wouldn't happen to be why Priest reads left to right, would it? As opposed to it being right to left, as per Mangas.
Mad Skipper
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Mad Skipper »

Undead Cabbage wrote:This wouldn't happen to be why Priest reads left to right, would it? As opposed to it being right to left, as per Mangas.
You know, the only conclusion I've come to about the left-right, right-left reading of Manga/Manwha is that it all depends on the publisher. Priest, as you've said, reads left-to-right and is published by Tokyopop. Blade of the Immortal (another awesome series) also reads left-to-right, and it's a manga published by Dark Horse Comics. The Manga Peace Maker Kurogane, on the other hand, reads right-to-left, and is published by ADV Manga.

I think it all boils down to who wants to publish "authentic" Manga/Manwha and who would rather hit-up the North American audience...kind of like Super Dimension Fortress Macross and it's english-translated/edited Robotech...
Ivana_Boritsi
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Ivana_Boritsi »

Here's a second for Hellboy. Because Hellboy can get over the top sometimes, just like any D&D adventure. Battling huge beasts, superpowers, and epic monsters...all part of D&D. At the same time, there is definately alot of Gothic Horror. The greatest horror is what you might become. Where your path will eventually lead you.

Hellboy could be a caliban fighter/expert or fighter/theif. Liz Shuman could be your sorcerer or wizard. Abe Sapien would be a caliban rogue. There's alot there.
Now I know, now I can divine. The reign of man is over, and He has come....

-Guy De Maupassant