Page 7 of 186

Re: P N Elrod

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:07 pm
by alhoon
ewancummins wrote:Speaking of hit points, does anyone object to maximum hit points (by hit dice) at first level?
No offense and no disrespect meant by this but:
I laughed when I read that question. You can ask 1000 players and you won't find one to say "yes, I do mind, I want to die easily".
BTW, we DO play with "hovering at death's door" rule right? We need to get to -10 to die not at 0 hp, correct?

Re: P N Elrod

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:11 pm
by Zilfer
alhoon wrote:
ewancummins wrote:Speaking of hit points, does anyone object to maximum hit points (by hit dice) at first level?
No offense and no disrespect meant by this but:
I laughed when I read that question. You can ask 1000 players and you won't find one to say "yes, I do mind, I want to die easily".
BTW, we DO play with "hovering at death's door" rule right? We need to get to -10 to die not at 0 hp, correct?
Would be useful to know^ Used to playing -Con score but yeah. :)

Re: P N Elrod

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:41 pm
by steveflam
Just out of curiosity, how many of us, less ewan and myself, have actually played 2nd edition tabletop? Maybe Varrus has?

Re: P N Elrod

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:45 pm
by Zilfer
Reiterating. (Not I) :lucas: Willing to learn and reading up on it. Think i'm about 50% done. Haven't gotten to money nor equipment. Trying to think of non weapon proficiency.

Found money.


[dice]0[/dice]

Times 10....

Re: P N Elrod

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:50 pm
by Zilfer
I forget if editing a post messes with the dice rollers here so sorry for double post. That's 50gp?


Also I know THAC0 is a thing so I'll read up on that. I know it's "To hit AC 0" or something like that but I know it's confusing for some people so I'll try and get a handle on that here soon. Also is rolling low better? or high better?

Re: P N Elrod

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:23 pm
by alhoon
tarlyn wrote:Just out of curiosity, how many of us, less ewan and myself, have actually played 2nd edition tabletop? Maybe Varrus has?
I have and my sister has. She may refuse to remember a single thing of it, but she has.

Re: P N Elrod

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:34 pm
by steveflam
alhoon wrote:
tarlyn wrote:Just out of curiosity, how many of us, less ewan and myself, have actually played 2nd edition tabletop? Maybe Varrus has?
I have and my sister has. She may refuse to remember a single thing of it, but she has.
Lol. I started back at 1e pretty much so I've played loads of 2e. pretty much my favorite one tbh. It is not odd if you take the time to get to know it. Lots is just math for THACo and the rest

Re: P N Elrod

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:04 am
by Zilfer
tarlyn wrote: Lol. I started back at 1e pretty much so I've played loads of 2e. pretty much my favorite one tbh. It is not odd if you take the time to get to know it. Lots is just math for THACo and the rest
Think I came up with a system in my head that works for me. Not sure it's what other people do in there head to figure it out but basically if they have AC 5. I know that if I roll a 15 or higher I hit. (Assuming high roll is the better end of the scale) How I come up with that answer seems to be.... Y-X=Z. (X=What it says their AC is. Y=20. Z=what it is in terms I understand.)

Re: P N Elrod

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:38 am
by ewancummins
Yes, I will use the Death's Door rule.

Re: P N Elrod

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:52 am
by ewancummins
Zilfer wrote:I forget if editing a post messes with the dice rollers here so sorry for double post. That's 50gp?


Also I know THAC0 is a thing so I'll read up on that. I know it's "To hit AC 0" or something like that but I know it's confusing for some people so I'll try and get a handle on that here soon. Also is rolling low better? or high better?
It works like this:

To hit : d20
Higher rolls are better!


If you want to use the THAC0 shortcut, you may. But there are also tables you can use.
AC gets better as it goes DOWN. A 0 in this edition is like a 20 in 3E.
10 an unarmored man.
A guy in plate with a shield has AC2.

So you roll d20 to hit. Add or subtract any modifiers.
Now subtract that roll result plus/ minus any modifier from your THAC0.
The result is the armor class you hit.

So let us say you have a THAC0 of 20. You roll a 17 to hit, and have no modifiers.
20 -17= 3.

You hit an armor class of 3 and any number higher (worse protection) than that.

If you had rolled a 10, you would hit a 10.
20-10=10

If you rolled lower than 10, you would need a positive modifier in order to hit a guy in combat.

Saving throws: d20 equal to or greater than for success





NonWeapon Proficiencies and ability score check: d20 equal to or lower than

Thief % skills: ditto, but d%

Re: P N Elrod

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:56 am
by ewancummins
Or in really simple terms



HIGH TO HIT and TO SAVE

LOW FOR SKILLS/ABILITY CHECKS

Re: P N Elrod

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:57 am
by ewancummins
Varrus the Ethical wrote:Okay, so Cleric for me. Ewan, I'm going to need that primer on this world's religions.
And so it shall be.

Info/ call coming tomorrow, time allowing.

I sleep now.

Re: P N Elrod

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:59 am
by VAN
OK since the trained dog doesn't cost much I will get a thief with a dog so it can do the track part and a kit that provides gather info and local. So he can be useful in both indoors and outdoors.

Re: P N Elrod

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:02 am
by ewancummins
Just checking before sleep monster overtakes me, is everyone playing a human? That is perfectly fine. But Demihumans are okay, too. As noted, they will stick out in the city, but won't be treated like monsters.

Re: P N Elrod

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:57 am
by VAN
Human for me.

In which city we will start? You said we will start in Grayhawk right?