Page 5 of 6
Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:42 pm
by DocBeard
Jeysus, Jester, you're a machine, man.
Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:05 am
by Jester of the FoS
I've been working on monsters since the release but never have enough...
It's what I do in my free time. I'm a full-time student who works part-time so I do have alot of free hours. Plus I have a laptop and can pluck away on it at work.
Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:24 am
by DocBeard
Still impressive, man.
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:21 pm
by Paladyn
Great job. One of monsters you present inspired me. Must develop this idea

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:07 pm
by Jester of the FoS
It's still rough. There are some errors to fix, hopefully some new variants and many more monsters.
Plus all the lore and such.
Right now in my current version I'm looking at 80-ish monsters (including cerebral and nosferatu vampires, darklings and 1/2 through some dreamspawn) with maybe another 10 in the works. I'd like to have it at a nice, even, impressive 100 monsters but that might be stretching.
I mean, there's alot of good Ravenloft monsters but many are probably better as hazards (the plants), many don't inspire me, and many are just uninteresting in 4e. Many are just tougher versions of old monsters (doppelganger, loup-garou, strahd undead, etc). Some are classic but just don't do anything really interesting that makes for good 4e combat (lebentold).
Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:24 pm
by Jester of the FoS
Update of the monster document:
http://www.box.net/shared/cl68t1i4q5
Not quite finished yet, I'd like to double-check all my powers (since I've been writing and revising for so long some of the older ones look a bit "eh"). And I'm working on the table of contents and such.
This is also the first of my guides to be done exclusively in Word opposed to a bastard combination of Word and Open Office. I'm not an MS fan but I've had soooo many problems with Open Office I switched to 2007 which can make pdfs on its own.
Have a look through and let me know if you spot any huge errors, missing text, or problems waiting.
Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:50 pm
by Jester of the FoS
Having counted through it looks like I ended with 95 monsters, 5 away from 100. Darn, that big round number was appealing. I could probably force out one or two more beasties, but another 5... that'd likely kill me. Although, looking at it I see a lack of higher level goblyns and vampyres. But I feel with this book, the MM, Dragon mag and Open Grave that there's enough material for a solid Ravenloft campaign or two.
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:32 am
by Pamela
Do you have any plans to make a vehrteig?
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:00 pm
by Jester of the FoS
Other than fixing errors and minor revisions I'm pretty much ready to call the monster book as done.
I tried to do a mix of must-have monsters and ones that lended themselves well to 4e in a range (although I mostly favoured the heroic tier with a mix of paragon).
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:32 am
by Jester of the FoS
Oops... looks like I forgot to post the finished version. While probably not perfect I think it's as good as I can get it without extra pairs of eyes. I've stared at it so long I just glaze over.
It should be up now.
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:58 am
by Pamela
95 monsters is a lot, after all! Thanks for the finished version too; another one to add to the collection.

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:28 am
by Jester of the FoS
Oops again. Wrong link for the monster book.
Looks like it's fixed now.

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:35 am
by Jester of the FoS
Pamela wrote:95 monsters is a lot, after all! Thanks for the finished version too; another one to add to the collection.

95 monsters plus allergen rules, templates, and a quick-n-dirty rule for staking.
Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:34 pm
by DocBeard
Hey, interested in a writeup of expanded Barovia? I was thinking of putting my players through a visit to Ravenloft and thought it was a good excuse to make some updates to the place.
Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:12 am
by Jester of the FoS
I don't think it fits this thread or my "rules and only rules rule" but if you'll willing to type it up I'm sure we could find a place to hold it, either in the netbooks or DM tools sections, or by the Campaign Journals.