Page 23 of 38

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:38 pm
by yalenusveler
Kaitou Kage wrote: "It is a deeper, more refreshing and relaxing clean," the Mulan said a little shortly, more for the benefit of his intended targets than for Kerrian. "An experience unto itself."
"Sounds interesting" Kerrian said in a response, with the sort of inflection that indicated that although he had not been involved in the collective "you" utilized earlier by intent of the speaker, Kerrian was unconcerened with such trivialities. "It might put me in the right mind to talk to the plant, or at least figure how to question in a way where the information would be useful..."

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:36 pm
by Cronax
"It is fortunate that your interrogation of the merchant proved more fruitful than our inquiries." Mr. Agale spoke with a low tone. "Please, spare no detail in your account.

As for our own interviews, neither Mr. Pelay nor Mr. Delarue possesses the temperament necessary to mastermind a crime such as this. Pelay seems a man of grand ambitions, but little action. Also, his ego leaves little room for subtlety and misdirection. If he were directly responsible, I am sure he is the kind to brag and boast until our ears fell off. If the culprit is revealed to be domestic in origin however, I would not be surprised if their motivations indirectly stemmed from his works.

Mr. Delarue, while slightly more plausible a villain is also unlikely the perpetrator. I am under the distinct impression that the gentleman's financial woes go beyond the mundane and would sufficiently motivate him. Still, he does not seem the sort capable of hatching such a scheme on his own initiative. The speed and certainty or lack thereof of any indemnity he seeks against the University should satisfactorily resolve that question."

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:40 pm
by Nathan of the FoS
"The Dementlieuse do not bathe in the Hazlani sense of the term," Darius amplifies to Kerrian. "A Hazlani bath is more like...h'm...I think you would say 'sauna'? At any rate, yes, it is not at all like splashing oneself in a hip bath and is much better. I think it is an excellent idea, brother."

Darius does not bother to trouble himself with the guest list for this expedition; instead, he makes his way over to the stove, where he ladles up the soup and tastes it.

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:43 pm
by NeoTiamat
The Chateau Malchance, Quartier Marchand, Port-a-Lucine; March 10th, 770, 7:04 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Cyrus wrote:Then he was grinning again. He seemed ready to throw his arms around Nerit's or Katja's shoulders. "I think I'll head back to the Hazlani district and visit the baths there after dinner. Care to join me?"
Katja was at the moment in the process of getting out of her drab, olive-colored greatcoat, pulling the heavy garment off and throwing it across her shoulder. She regarded Cyrus with her one good eye, the rose-colored cloth covering her other eye, and matching her dull-rose shirt rather nicely.

"Thank you, but no." Katja said politely, the Lamordian accent giving her speech a clipped quality. "I will have a small dinner here and then I shall leave for work. I am expected within the hour."
Tomas wrote:"...Vedarrak." Tomas turns from his accusation, grits his teeth, and opens the grenade cleverly disguised as a flask of potato mash, taking another long swig. Those familiar with it, such as the elementalist in the back, might recognize a faint whiff of ozone, but it's gone as quickly as it comes. "You're not going alone."
Kerrian wrote:"About this Vedarrak, why does everyone talk about him like he's some sort of.." Kerrian used a word in low mordentish that didn't quite properly have a translation in the more elegant tounge of High Mordentish, mostly because speakers of the high tounge would like to think they didn't need words that specifically meant "beast that enjoys consuming the entrails of your family while forcing you to watch helplessly."
"Because he is," Professor Lessard said, with a sudden iciness that cut through the conversation like a knife. Marchand-Renier reached out and placed a hand on the younger man's shoulder, giving it a small squeeze.

"Everyone has their flaws... Vederrak's is the complete lack of anything resembling a conscience," Professor Theroux said. "Fortunately, he's smart enough not to be manically cruel without a purpose, which tends to make people who are dead in a very short order. Unfortunately... that means he's smart enough to be dangerous."

"Hmph." Thierri eyed Eisenwald, turning his cup over and over in his hands. "You're going to go talk to him? You'd be better off following the trail of the thief with me than trying to interrogate a man with diplomatic immunity," he said sourly.

The magician twirled the cup on the tip of his finger, examining his options and deciding to change focus. Sidling over to Celeste, Boucher leaned over toward her, setting his elbow on the table. "Mademoiselle Viardot," he began with a glint in his eye, "I invite you to join me in exploring Eglise Sainte-Madeleine tomorrow afternoon. I can say without fault that it is one of the most unique experiences in the city."

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:01 am
by Nerit
Cyrus wrote:Then he was grinning again. He seemed ready to throw his arms around Nerit's or Katja's shoulders. "I think I'll head back to the Hazlani district and visit the baths there after dinner. Care to join me?"
Heedless of the other responses, Nerit's gaze on Cyrus turned to one that could melt metal. Its content was unquestionable, to some degree (body language is not in Mordentish, naturally), and could be interpreted as:

I am thinking of all the vile barbarous things that I will do to your extremities, and your eyes, one by one. If you touch me.

Two black eyes momentarily peered out at Cyrus from behind the darkness of her opaque veil.

And, without a word, Nerit stepped away from the Lawgiver twins toward Thierri and Tomas.

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:03 am
by Rock of the Fraternity
"So, you Mulani are off to sweat for a while by yourselves," Lia says, flicking her fingers idly at the twins. "And the rest of us have people to meet, things to find out ... I would be more than happy to have you join us on our little visit to Vedarrak, Tomas, if you feel like it. More than happy."

A small, not altogether kindly smile ghosts across Lia's face. "If Vedarrak gets out of line, you hold him down, I'll blast him into something unrecognizable. How about that? I'm sure there are starving pigs somewhere if we need to dispose of the corpse afterward."

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:36 pm
by Nathan of the FoS
Rock wrote:"So, you Mulani are off to sweat for a while by yourselves," Lia says, flicking her fingers idly at the twins. "And the rest of us have people to meet, things to find out ..."
Darius looks very slightly amused at the interaction between Nerit and Cyrus; he is about to speak when Lia's dismissive gesture calls attention to her instead. "Things to find out?" he repeats, slightly nonplussed. Glancing between Lia and Cyrus, and then around the room, he visibly performs a quick mental rehashing of the conversation he's overheard and ends with a sharp look at his brother--one that says, Yes, we do need to talk.

"Huh," he says, then to Lia, making the sign of the Spear and Coil, "Well, law and truth make straight your path." Filling his plate, he makes his way to an unoccupied part of the kitchen and begins plowing through his dinner at an alarming rate.

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:45 pm
by The Whistler
Prof. Lemercier wrote:"If I may be so bold as to interrupt, there is one place where Mme. Chastel will be, come what may." Prof. Lemercier said with the air of one unveiling a coup. "The Tessier Gallery. She must attend as curator, after all, if she intends to keep her position."
“Oh, how fortuitous! Why, Prof. Lemercier, I myself have been honored with an invitation to the Tessier opening! Prof. Marchand-Renier and I were just speaking about the matter yesterday night.” She beamed at the linguist, apparently having forgotten that he hadn’t been looking forward to it. “Ordinarily, I should be content simply to observe this season’s newest pieces, but the chance to place our band’s weighty business alongside my worldly pleasures…I should be remiss if I did not seize upon the opportunity.” Celeste clasped her hands together in anticipation. “We shall make a trio, then—oh, our investigative skullduggery shall be simply unmatched!”

She cocked her head thoughtfully. “Or perhaps more than a trio...? I wonder if it would be possible for me to beg an additional invitation from the good M. Tessier…Donatien is such a considerate gentleman.”
Prof. Theroux wrote:"Everyone has their flaws... Vederrak's is the complete lack of anything resembling a conscience," Professor Theroux said. "Fortunately, he's smart enough not to be manically cruel without a purpose, which tends to make people who are dead in a very short order. Unfortunately... that means he's smart enough to be dangerous."
Celeste suppressed a shiver. “I must admit, I am not sorry that we were unable to call upon M. Vendarrak this afternoon. Putting aside the fact of his foreign agency and fearsome reputation…why, I should be entirely out of my métier! How does one address the Ambassador of a hostile power?”
M. Boucher wrote:"Mademoiselle Viardot," he began with a glint in his eye, "I invite you to join me in exploring Eglise Sainte-Madeleine tomorrow afternoon. I can say without fault that it is one of the most unique experiences in the city."
Celeste favored the magician with a wry smile. “Ah, M. Boucher, but you forget: you are speaking to one of your fellow-citizens! And yet, I confess, in my three years residence in our fair city, I have not yet had the pleasure of experiencing the Saint-Madeliene firsthand—a consequence of my habitual service at Notre-Dames-de-Bouclier, I am afraid! Such an understanding vicar…”

She nodded enthusiastically at Thierri. “M. Boucher, nothing could please me more. This business of investigation shall yet become my most enduring hobby—the pleasure of your company notwithstanding!”

Pause.

“I trust you have enlisted a suitable chaperone for the occasion?”

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:47 pm
by NeoTiamat
The Chateau Malchance, Quartier Marchand, Port-a-Lucine; March 10th, 770, 7:04 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Celeste wrote:“We shall make a trio, then—oh, our investigative skullduggery shall be simply unmatched!” She cocked her head thoughtfully. “Or perhaps more than a trio...? I wonder if it would be possible for me to beg an additional invitation from the good M. Tessier…Donatien is such a considerate gentleman.”
"Never fear, my charming young lady, I shall have a word with the younger M. Tessier tomorrow morning. I am sure that when I have spoken with him, he will see it somewhere within the depths of his heart to extend a group invitation to me and my class of delightful young people, for their continuing erudition." Prof. Evariste Lemercier said expansively, gesturing towards the group with a short, chubby arm. "Donatien is a charming young lad, full of wisdom even at such an early age. And should he prove stubborn, well, aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

"You will bully him." Prof. Petrik deciphered disapprovingly.

"No, my beautiful Seiglinde, please, do not use such harsh language." Lemercier said, putting a finger by the side of his round nose and winking. "I shall merely endeavor to lay out the situation in such terms as Donatien will find persuasive."

Petrik sniffed.

"Yes, my dear, I shall bully him." Lemercier sighed dolefully.

"Speak plainer." Was Prof. Petrik's verdict on the matter.
Celeste wrote:Celeste suppressed a shiver. “I must admit, I am not sorry that we were unable to call upon M. Vedarrak this afternoon. Putting aside the fact of his foreign agency and fearsome reputation…why, I should be entirely out of my métier! How does one address the Ambassador of a hostile power?”
"From a position of power," Professor Lessard sighed. "Or very politely. I'm beginning to wish M. Martel was here as well."

"We may take some solace that he is not," Marchand-Renier murmured. "Vedarrak is not to be wished on anyone."
Celeste wrote:“I trust you have enlisted a suitable chaperone for the occasion?”
"I had one," Thierri said, with a bit of a dull glance towards Tomas. The magician let the cup leap off his finger and land solidly in his hand, twirling in the air as he caught it.

"Well, bon soeur, what do you say?" Thierri asked, turning to Sister Doherty as she edged closer to him. "A woman of such unquestionable character as yourself must surely prefer Ste. Madeliene's to the prospect of hostile ambassadors. I promise you, it is quite intriguing."

"Eglise Sainte-Madeleine?" Cerise grinned wildly, having run off and now returned with her cat in arms. "The Eglise Sainte-Madeleine? Oh wow! My auntie bought me one of the plaster skulls - my other auntie, not Aunt Elisabeth - but I've never actually been! I absolutely have to come with you! Tickets are a solar, right? I read they have a staircase in the basement that leads all the way down into the catacombs!"

"Most churches do, mademoiselle, Ste. Madeleine simply lets people down there," Thierri said, arching an eyebrow and leaning against the wall.

"Yes yes yes I know that," Cerise said, sticking out her tongue at him. "But I'd go just for the chapel alone."

"What, ah, what exactly is so unique about Sainte-Madeleine's?" Richard asked, setting his cider carefully on the table. "I didn't know there were any chapels in Dementlieu besides, besides Ste. Mere des Larmes. I, I mean, I'm not from here, but I've, I've often visited..."

"Really? You have to come with us!" Cerise exclaimed, putting her cat down in favor of grabbing and tugging on Richard's arms. Richard was clearly unprepared for this, listing heavily under Cerise's enthusiasm. "I mean, you're a priest, right? You have to see this!" she said cheerily, ignoring his protestations that he wasn't, yet.

"I, I don't have any obligations," Richard admitted, looking a bit like he'd been hit by a train. "I am interested, if, if that's alright that I come along." The young man looked askance of the rest of the party.

"Certainly," Thierri said, with a bit of a resigned air, but also a mildly pleasant sort of smile. "Though if you're going to let Cerise drag you into the catacombs, you should wear a coat and sturdy shoes."

We seem to be in a bit of a shake-up, so just for the record, who is going where? So far, I think we've got:

Vedarrak: Remy, Lia, Tomas
St. Madeleine's: Thierri, Celeste, Cerise, Richard, Kerrian

After that, since Lemercier is providing invitations, you can regroup and attend the Tessier Gallery as a group. Once I know who is going where, I'll advance to the next scenes, which will take place in mid-afternoon of the following day (as usual, time enough for those people with jobs or schooling to attend to it).

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:43 pm
by yalenusveler
"I..think I'd much rather see the chapel than see this Ambassador." Kerrian said after a moment's consideration, and polishing off his Cider. "If he's as horrible as everyone seems to think, I'd rather people who have experience dealing with him go."

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:23 am
by Nerit
Nerit smiled, though for some reason it seemed like a wince at the corners. After Richard replied she said, "Yes, of course. It would be a reverent delight to see the chapel or the catacombs, I'm sure."

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:24 am
by Rock of the Fraternity
"I wish those going to the chapel all the best," Lia says with a small, gracious gesture. "Hopefully the catacombs will prove less ... trying ... than a visit to the ambassador." She turns a brief glance on Darius, and makes a gesture of her own; a circle, drawn clockwise over the heart, then one over the forehead. "May you not be lost in the Ocean," she says in a dry tone of voice, "forever."

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:50 pm
by DocBeard
Tomas has been quiet because he was honestly expecting Lia to yell at him for being a sexist presumptuous pig who couldn't protect a stuffed doll, let alone a competent woman of mystic letters. The fact that she agreed to it was, well, suprising! Not shocking because Lia turned it into 'You are my goon now' which is entirely in character for her temperament, but Tomas was rather looking forward to the row that would have followed.

"Sorry." Tomas has the good grace to say to Therri, jerking a thumb at Lia. "Just, you know, someone needs to keep her from saying those kinds of things to the ambassador we don't want to make furious with us. We tried a muzzle once, but she just chewed through it, and leather is expensive, ja?"

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:15 pm
by Rock of the Fraternity
"Now, now," Lia murmurs, patting Tomas on the shoulder. "I'm sure I can keep my mouth shut tomorrow now I've had a chance to vent a little." She smiles a little at Thierri. "Also, you'll frighten the young man if you keep spouting your odd little fantasies," she adds in a droll tone of voice.

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:43 pm
by The Whistler
Mlle. Doherty wrote:Nerit smiled, though for some reason it seemed like a wince at the corners. After Richard replied she said, "Yes, of course. It would be a reverent delight to see the chapel or the catacombs, I'm sure."
“Splendid! Religious tourism is ever so much more enthralling in the company of one’s fellow-observers.” Celeste’s eyes sparkled at the proposition, clearly just as happy to see the church with a larger group as with a smaller (one-person) one. To her credit, though, she did favor M. Boucher with a smile, though it very well could have been just for suggesting the idea.

“It is arranged, then. I shall meet you directly at the site, following my luncheon engagement with Mlle. Fontainbleu of Croix-Rousse—I shall await our sojourn with the most heartfelt anticipation!”