Page 20 of 146
Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:46 pm
by Rock of the Fraternity
So where do we send the people we got out of the burning galérie? Their homes are under siege. We can just ask the Blackwoods to take them any old where, so let's pick a safe spot and keep things moving?
Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:12 pm
by Cronax
Both the University and Malchance are on the complete opposite side of the city from the gallery. For close and safe, I think our best bets are to park them either at LaGrange's crib or the Falkovnian embassy. This of course assumes that either of the owners of those locations acquiesce.
Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:09 pm
by The Whistler
Bienassis is way the heck out in the suburbs, too...and sending them to the Falkovnian embassy gives Vendarrak leverage over things. I'd say run with LaGrange, personally.
Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:12 am
by Nathan of the FoS
I am not sure that I am qualified to comment, having been more of an onlooker than a participant in this chapter. We are (of necessity) at the "murky" phase of events, where "stuff happens and we do not really know why" is the order of the day. That said, the situation seems to me to be awfully murky. At present it seems to be mostly dead ends and enigmas wrapped in mysteries.
I would have liked an out-and-out fight at some point, but I suppose this will be rectified soon.
A lot of the incidental stuff was pretty nifty. I like that the Hazlani quarter has taken an important role, masked balls are always amusing, and the Ten Drowned Twins were impressively bizarre and frightening.
I do not feel that I have much of a bead on the NPCs; not having interacted with any of them, perhaps that's only natural. I am interested to find out what is going on with Kerrian's vision of Richard. He and Alice seem like the ordinary pair in this crew, just decent Mordentish folks caught up in the weirdness; I guess we'll see if that's true.
I think Katja is Sarari's spiritual sister.
The professors are a rather amusing contrast. Like Jack Sprat and wife, except the other way 'round. Thierri is a bit of a cipher--weirdly flat in affect when not showboating. Not quite sure what to make of that. Cerise, frankly, weirded me out at first, and kinda still does. It's not normal to be that cheerful about the gruesome. Either she's a naif or she's missing something important upstairs (or, just possibly, she's just a consummate actress). Somebody who has actually had bad things happen to people she cares about due to supernatural agency would talk about the subject with less relish, methinks.
Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:08 pm
by DocBeard
1) Can we use items from Dragon, the Adventurer's Vault books, or similar sources as long as we can provide you with said source?
2) I'll do a proper write up after my exam, but in short: A little disorganized, but still left me looking forward to the rest of the story.
Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:46 pm
by The Whistler
So, my thoughts:
Structurally, I think the chapter hung together pretty well. I think the DMs have established a pretty good "introduction-explore-regroup-explore-regroup-conflict" pacing in a few EoA chapters that translates pretty well here--and I feel like, since there are fewer chapters in this game, we could take our time about progressing through the storyline without feeling either rushed or stagnant. I'd be tempted to kvetch about us discussing for too long before we split up into Plot Point Groups, but with nine PCs or whatever that's pretty much unavoidable.
As for the climax, in the abstract I dig that it was an impressive set piece that allowed for conflict without combat. In practical, selfish terms, though, I wanted to participate in at least one fight.

Admittedly, this is because Celeste "fights" in very entertaining fashion, but still. Anyways, I figure that all of us will see some action in future chapters, so I'm not too banged up about that.
The chapter did end on something of a cliffhanger even so, which was a bit unexpected--that was probably because I was used to the EoA method of getting everything wrapped up so the Expedition could keep moving. I feel like this is sort of a less episodic and more intimate story, though, so I guess I'm guardedly optimistic about the whole "loose ends" thing? I'm pretty sure I am.
I like all of our NPCs! They're well-written, fleshed-out, and engaging, and I actually would not mind at all if they made a skill check now and again.

. Seriously! I think there's a balance that can be struck between "stealing every scene" and "meet my friend the exposition accessory", and it doesn't necessarily need to be a hard-and-fast one. Provided they follow the prevailing direction of the plot as the PCs determine it, I think they can contribute effectively to the storyline and have the occasional Impressive Moment without getting in the way. This is a compliment, because I think they are awesome! Anyway, those are my opinions.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:31 pm
by NeoTiamat
I am amused that Cerise is considered creepy. Given that she reminds me of about half the friends I have. (I'm a ghoul, so sue me). Also, Lemercier is my favorite NPC, I admit that freely.
The lack of combats was originally a stylistic choice. The plan had been for the PCs to all go to the gendarmerie station and then split up from there, with the idea being to focus much more on the "Hey, everyone is CRAZY!" bit. We wanted to play around with Skill Challenges, and the idea of PCs fighting a mob had been floated at various points before.
...Then most of you opted to stay at the Gallery, and Neo and Isy were rewriting the climax of the first chapter. *shakes fist* Even had we wanted a fight, you guys splintered into so many groups of random size it would've been difficult to arrange.
Never fear, we have plans for Book Two.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:59 pm
by Nerit
This is what I get for migraines and finals papers D:! I will catch up soon to the glorious end!
Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:35 pm
by Nathan of the FoS
I have gotten interested in a little side project and would like to know if y'all could contribute in the following simple manner:
Step 1) Decide on your character's birthday.
Step 2) Decide what animal (for those with gentleman characters) or what plant (for those with lady characters) best represents your character.
Step 3) For the literalists and completists out there, "Share this information with me" is also a necessary part of the process.
Thanks!
Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:57 pm
by The Whistler
Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:46 am
by Nathan of the FoS
Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:39 am
by Nerit
Nathan, what did we end up with? Nov. 15?
Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:41 am
by Nathan of the FoS
Nerit wrote:Nathan, what did we end up with? Nov. 15?
Yep!
Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:40 am
by DocBeard
March 5, 740 works, I think. As for animal, I am at something of a loss. Any ideas?
Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:54 pm
by Nathan of the FoS
DocBeard wrote:March 5, 740 works, I think. As for animal, I am at something of a loss. Any ideas?
Thunderbird! (I forgot to mention, mythological/magical creatures and plants are perfectly acceptable.)
It's associated with storms, it is generally considered a minor diety or divine messenger, and, at least in some mythologies, it spends its time battling demons. Sounds like a fit to me!