Page 2 of 2

Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:38 pm
by Nerit
Right, okay, thread-necromancy here, BUT! I am dumb and thought the "Google Ravenloft" idea was mine thirty minutes ago. If I can figure out how to work the Google Maps API I could put up the Port-a-Lucine map on my journaly blog thing for Shattered City? I need permission from lostboy before the attempt, though 8).

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:37 am
by lostboy
Of course you can, its up there to be done with as anyone sees fit.

I did look into this a while back actually. It seems the way it works (or one way of doing it anyway) is to create a series of 200 x 200 pixel mapping tiles then create them as a javascript library. The API then calls what it needs as you scroll and zoom.

I didn't get any further than that, so not very helpful really..... :?

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:50 am
by Don Fernando
Great work lostboy!!

Hey the idea of new RL cartography with this kind of quality is quite exciting. Heck, I would even volunteer to help anyway I can in order to have these kind of maps! :D

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:13 pm
by Nerit
I looked into it and there's a lot of scripting work involved in a custom Google API map, which I can't do :/. However, there is something like http://www.maplib.net/ . If you look at random maps you'll find a lot of D&D stuff already in there. Here's Middle Earth: http://www.maplib.net/map.php?id=13

So, it's 3rd party hosting. I can't afford to buy it for my own site or anything.

EDIT: Nevermind. I checked it out and their max size is 6000 pixels & 4MB. Not feasible for such a detailed map.

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:15 am
by Nerit
Okay, I've come up with another idea, but it involves a circus of cooperation :P. It would have to be hosted on Mistipedia with this plugin. I believe it allows custom image maps (not just custom lat/long from Earth on Google Maps...). I have no idea if Gonzoron would be willing.

I looked into the alternative of a Wordpress plugin for a custom Google Map but there seems to be none.

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:38 am
by lostboy
If it can be done I'm game, drop me a pm sometime Nerit and maybe we can have a chat on Aim about how we go about doing it?

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:07 am
by Joël of the FoS
I love maps! Go for it!

Another interesting idea would be to have the domain map as they appeared, i.e. to show what it did look like when Barovia had a border with Darkon. And then this domain appeared, and this one, and this one. As some kind of a core evolution slide show.

Joël

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:35 pm
by Nerit
Someone did do a series of images based on the evolution of domains, Joel, and it's hosted on the wiki: http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Category:The_Core

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:50 pm
by Joël of the FoS
Yes I know of this thing. But it's based on the domain position as of now.

We do not see the domains shift and move when a new domain is created between two domains, for exemple when Barovia had a border with Darkon, before Nova Vaasa was created and moved in between them.

Joël