What's YOUR best work?

Discussions on the Fraternity netbooks
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

What's YOUR best work?

Post by Jester of the FoS »

This is for all the people who have submitted something to QtR, the USS or one of the Book of S___.

Of the work you have had e-published what are you most proud of? What's your personal favorite? What worked out the best or came out better than you would have hoped?
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Well, I've written a couple handful of articles scattered throughout the various issues of Quoth the Raven (and one that can be found in the Chilling Encounters mini-book). I cannot say I feel that and of my works has been very great or truly inspired, but my personal favorite would have to be Grave, Mist, and Pyre (found in Quoth the Raven 7, pages 63-70).

I spent a lot of time trying to recreate the four standard genasi races to fit the Ravenloft atmosphere. I obviously used the dread elementals as guidelines for their names and general powers, but a lot of brainstorming went into creating a more twisted and gothic feel for each of the four dread genasi (beyond statistics and powers). While I’m sure there are mistakes in game mechanics scattered through the races and racial feats, the concepts seemed appropriate.

Plus, the writing style and format seemed to read better than some of my previous submissions. I’ve noted some mistakes since the issue’s release, but there are fewer regrets on that article than some of my others. So I guess that it is both my personal favorite as well as the one of which I’m most proud (largely due to the fact that some people have used them in their own campaigns).
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

It's actually the first article I ever wrote--the cluster Nueva Aragona, in the first USS. Man, I slaved over that thing. It ended up being something like thirty single-spaced pages long--background fiction, detailed domain write-up, list of people and places, the works.

Boy, it just about killed me when the Kargatane gave it the thumbs down.

So I was very glad Joel had put forward the idea of the USS, so it would have a place to go!
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

I'm quite proud of the Whaetleys. It's the only thing I've submitted, but I think it's good.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

For me it would probably be the Inquisition Trials or The Black Arts. I didn't expect either to go down as well as they did. I forget the name of the article, but the one I did on the Church of Hala also came out better than I had hoped but is not as preferrable to me as those other two I mentioned.

My personal favourite for writing is Traumatised Spirits, I just had so much fun writing that article and it started up a series of articles along the same vein.
Swallow your soul!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:Inquisition Trials
The most interesting reading from your articles IMO.
Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote: Traumatised Spirits
If this one is about the Geists from USS2001, then it is your best submission IMO. I use the ideas there still, 4 years after it has been released.

I also liked the article about the Witches of Hala. While I don't use it, it was very well researched.

About my own submissions:
Well. . . I don't remember them all :oops: And they aren't that many to start with.

However, I know my favorite is Dire Omens, the adventure I sent for USS2001. It was my first big article accepted. :)
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Best work, eh....

Tough choice, what with my bias and all. I think Scourge of the Misty Seas was the best thing I put out, with the articles on Egyptian domains a close second.
Evil Reigns!!!!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

To ScS:
I believe your best work is the "Great War Project". I use many of the system's rules in all my campaigns.

I also like the intros in the QtR, and the article about the pirates.

And of course I like the

"On the whole planet there is a hut and and a granny. She spents her time sitting in her chair. And then there is a knock on the door".

When I sent this to my friends I received the following answer:

"In the whole planet there is a tavern and the inkeeper. He spents his time cleaning the only glass in the tavern. And then there is a knock on the door"

PS. Forgive my imperfect English, but I'm tired.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Well thank you very much. In fact, the Great War is going to get a makeover in the next few months (part of a school project).

In any case, i think it was Lovecraft who wrote that bit about the old woman.
It was labled the world's shortest horror story.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:In any case, i think it was Lovecraft who wrote that bit about the old woman.
It was labled the world's shortest horror story.
No, I don't think he wrote it. He cites it in one his essay on horror litterature :)

I've written many things and loved writing all of them.

My first work was fun (Morts-qui-dancent, BoSacrifices), as was the others: "VRG to the lower undead" (should convert it to 3e as there were good ideas in it IMHO), and "Keith de Lalune" (USS 02) and "Of visions induced by coma" and "shadow curtain" in USS 03.

I'm quite proud of most of it.

Joël
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

alhoon wrote:
Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:Inquisition Trials
The most interesting reading from your articles IMO.
Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote: Traumatised Spirits
If this one is about the Geists from USS2001, then it is your best submission IMO. I use the ideas there still, 4 years after it has been released.

I also liked the article about the Witches of Hala. While I don't use it, it was very well researched.
Thanks al. The one on the Witches of Hala was not researched that heavily when it came to writing it though, I mostly adapted old traditions and elements of Witchcraft and brought them together, then tweaked them some more ;)

I have to admit that Dire Omens is a long time favourite of mine. While I have never run the adventure, I have always liked it.
Swallow your soul!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote: My first work was fun (Morts-qui-dancent, BoSacrifices), as was the others: "VRG to the lower undead" (should convert it to 3e as there were good ideas in it IMHO), and "Keith de Lalune" (USS 02) and "Of visions induced by coma" and "shadow curtain" in USS 03.
What? ! ? :shock:

Isn't Anna the flesh Golem your favorite?

It is my favorite article of your work.
And since you denied it, I'll have Dru tell about it to certain reatives of yours that inspired the article. Or have one of Dru's dolls tell them.
My DMGuild work!
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

My favourite works of my own include the Guide to Fiyhers and the as-of-yet unpublished netbook on Ravenloft dwarves. My Gentleman Caller article was a fun adaptation that recieved alot of nice praise but I still prefer my 3.0 update of Van Richten, mostly because it was my first netbook work and the equipment was such fun to design.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

alhoon wrote: What? ! ? :shock:

Isn't Anna the flesh Golem your favorite?

It is my favorite article of your work.
Anna, yes, she's fun too.

For the record, she was submitted the same year to the Kargatane for the BoSacr. The Morts-qui-dancent (dead can dance) got in, but not Anna. I was surprised since I considered Anna to be better.

My players had Anna as a villain to defeat once: it was a fun cat and mouse chase 'till they hit her.

Whenever I have the time (guess it will be in 2038), I'd like to update these into 3rd ed.

Joël
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

I did like an article on Reavers that I wrote last year (it is yet to appear in QtR though I am sure it was submitted for issue 8 or 9, something like that). In hindsight though, it was not one of my strongest articles, though it was alot of fun to write :) It opens up the Reavers, introducing alternate abilitiesand stats for subraces.
Swallow your soul!