QtR 2018 theme

Discussions on the Fraternity netbooks
current sketch
Conspirator
Conspirator

QtR 2018 theme

Post by current sketch »

Hello, long-term Ravenloft player but new to the FoS.

Is there a theme for the 2018 QtR yet?

Having enjoyed QtR in the past, I feel it's time I submitted something!
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: QtR 2018 theme

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Last year, theme suggestions were requested in June, and one was chosen in early July. I imagine the same pattern will be followed this coming year.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

true, but it's never too early to think about it. Any suggestions?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
current sketch
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by current sketch »

Thanks for the advice, Wolfglide.

Not sure on a theme myself. Maybe some real gothic trope like "Hubris", "Isolation" or "Mad Science"? We're now over 20 years since the publication of "Domains of Dread", so is there room for a "Ravenloft: 20 years of terror" issue where we cover things that have happened since, both in the real world and in-game?

I myself was planning an essay on using Indie RPGs (like "My Life With Master" or "Dread") for Ravenloft. Has that been done already?
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

No problem, though I am afraid I can't answer your last question.

As for a theme idea, I had the snippet of phrase, Which Can Eternal Lie, rattling around in my head recently. For those who don't like mixing Lovecraftian horror into Ravenloft, it could also refer to particularly ancient undead.
nothri
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by nothri »

Theme idea: Who do you trust? We all have people we rely upon. Friends, family, lovers, business associates...everyone has someone they entrust. People we can drop our guard around, tell our secrets, be vulnerable with. Villains too. Every Dracula needs his Renfield, every Frankenstein his Igor. The heroes as well- the Harkers would be doomed without Van Helsing, after all. Let's hear about the support networks, the brave middle men, the viceroys and fixers that make sure the hidden layers stay hidden and the general affairs of horrors and heroes stay in order.
I'm just a ghost in this house.
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I rather like that one. It fits with what I am already working on.
current sketch
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by current sketch »

nothri wrote:Theme idea: Who do you trust? We all have people we rely upon. Friends, family, lovers, business associates...everyone has someone they entrust. People we can drop our guard around, tell our secrets, be vulnerable with. Villains too. Every Dracula needs his Renfield, every Frankenstein his Igor. The heroes as well- the Harkers would be doomed without Van Helsing, after all. Let's hear about the support networks, the brave middle men, the viceroys and fixers that make sure the hidden layers stay hidden and the general affairs of horrors and heroes stay in order.
I really like that idea.

It also implies the breaking of trust, which is very gothic.

Some indie games (e.g. "Cold City" and "Hot War") have trust mechanics, whereby characters allow other characters they trust a bonus to both co-operate and screw them over! Might be able to adapt something similar to D&D...
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

What is the QtR schedule like these days? I presume previously it was more than once a year.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

tomokaicho wrote:What is the QtR schedule like these days? I presume previously it was more than once a year.
It's been once a year for a long time. Early one there were as many as 4 a year, but it's been annual since 2006.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

I might submit something. QtR has been quite a bit thinner in recent years, to say the least.
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

I just submitted my article for QtR 2018. Woot! Lets see how it goes.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Last year it was my idea which won, this year I support gladily another forumist's one: the theme of trust is really nice.
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I had been holding my grammar-fascism in check before now, but I do want to remark that, if the trust theme is used, the correct form of the original statement is "Whom do you trust?"
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

I've got a couple of ideas for QtR 2018. What about "Lights in the Darkness" that details good NPCs and groups that exist in the Demiplane? Or something about secret societies, good and ill, that lurk unseen? Which would likely fall in the category of "Whom Do You Trust." :-|
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."