Orb of Augmentation clarification

Discussing all things Ravenloft
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Orb of Augmentation clarification

Post by cure »

The Orb of Augmentation appears in Ravenloft Gazetteer Volume I on page 119. I had originally read it as increasing a spellcaster's caster level by +1. But on a second read, I believe that it instead increases the highest level of spells that the spellcaster can cast. That is to say that Hazlan, a 14th caster and who can normally cast up to 7th level spells, could prepare and cast one 8th level spell. Is this right?

And if so, in what sense could, as the description says, multiple Orbs of Augmentation stack? A second 8th level spell in the case of Hazlan? How does that square with the one day preparation time? Or is that supposed to be casting time?
The cure for what ails you
Hamiclar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Orb of Augmentation clarification

Post by Hamiclar »

It increases the level of casting. I 5th level wizard for instance would be able to cast a 4th level spell which would be out his casting power. The wizard would normally be 3rd level spell power maximum.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I agree, it's not +1 to caster level, it's "may attempt to cast a spell one spell level higher than she can normally use." (At first I wondered how the wizard could know and have in their spellbook a spell they can't cast yet, but in reading the SRD for copying spells into a spellbook, that actually doesn't seem to be a requirement to copy the spell.) So yes, your hypothetical 14th level wizard (or even a 13th level wizard) could cast an 8th level spell with the Orb.

Now, what does it mean for multiples to stack? I see 3 possibilities:

1) as you mentioned, preparing a 2nd 8th level spell (which I hadn't actually considered). I do think the one day prep time is correct and not an error. The SRD for prepping spells says "If a wizard already has spells prepared (from the previous day) that she has not cast, she can abandon some or all of them to make room for new spells." That implies you don't have to abandon uncast spells, and can keep them as long as you need to. If a wizard is fully prepped, and never casts anything for a week, they don't need to spend any time on prep that week, if they are happy with their selections. So the wizard could spend day one prepping maze, day two prepping sunburst, and then go out adventuring on day 3 with both spells ready to cast.

2) Or, could 2 of the Orbs allow you to prep a spell two levels higher? In this case, a 9th level spell?

3) Or, my initial thought, do multiple orbs just reduce the failure chance? (One orb with a 20th level brain inside makes the chance 50%. Two such orbs make it 25%) This would seem to be the case, whether or not the other 2 options are really possible, because, without this possibility, the phrase "to a minimum of 10%" would be meaningless unless you manage to find the brain of a 56th level caster - unlikely in any world, and near-preposterous in Ravenloft.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Thanx,

R
The cure for what ails you