Orcs, Goblins, and their kins

Discussing all things Ravenloft
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Orcs, Goblins, and their kins

Post by alhoon »

So, you tell me that such discussions DID happen in Mordent. Heh. I still don't believe it and if I run I10, those people will be commoners or way lower level.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Garudos Celestar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Garudos Celestar »

The Lesser Evil wrote: You have to remember that I10 (and I6, for that matter) were written long before Ravenloft had established its sensibilities as a campaign setting. Plus, it does make sense a little bit in the case of Mordentshire a few hundred years before the current time-frame. The last of the great heroes have settled down and retired, and a small tribe of orcs hiding away in the woods is the last of their kind. The old days of the wondrous, magnificent, and magical have passed, only to be replaced by the dreary and melancholic
I had an idea once for an archeologist-paleontologist type character, researching these old ruins on the moors of Mordent (sacrificial mounds, perhaps a few monoliths or an Avebury/Carnac-style stone circle) associated with this old, debased humanoid race that seemed to have gone extinct sometime in the mid-to-late 500s BC. Tosk may be the last living orc in Ravenloft, but there could certainly be some orc ghosts...

As for the high-level I10 NPCs, in 3E they'd probably just be converted to NPC classes: it's completely reasonable to have a Com9 or a War10 in some of those positions.
thekristhomas wrote:There are definately goblins in tepest (but whether they are goblins like in other worlds, less clear)
There are also goblins hidng the sewers of Richemulot in Scholar of Decay.
[i]"I too have begun to wonder about the legendary wisdom of our guardian angel and his pet rock."
~ Evee Beiderbecke[/i]
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

alhoon wrote:So, you tell me that such discussions DID happen in Mordent. Heh. I still don't believe it and if I run I10, those people will be commoners or way lower level.
While it does seem incredible that so many tradesmen have achieved these levels, it does serve some purpose on a design level, as in the adventure many of the towns people become inhabited by monsters and combat can ensue. I've been wondering how to level down the townsfolk without skewing the module too much.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Simple: You assume that once they are possessed their level becomes much higher or if they're charmed/dominated they're the cannon-fodder they should really be. If a vampire dominates the stable boy he shouldn't be surprised that the groom goes down with the first blow.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

alhoon wrote:Simple: You assume that once they are possessed their level becomes much higher or if they're charmed/dominated they're the cannon-fodder they should really be. If a vampire dominates the stable boy he shouldn't be surprised that the groom goes down with the first blow.
I suppose you've still got overbearing to use to make the villagers a threat.