Fair Barovia, Dungeon 207

Discussing all things Ravenloft
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Fair Barovia, Dungeon 207

Post by thekristhomas »

I've recently read the Dungeon article "Fair Barovia" and I have to say, I really quite enjoyed it.

Yes, there were some deviations from canon, but over all if you consider that on one level, the article was revealing Barovia to the fans of whatever edition it is that the kids are playing these days, the ambition allows some forgiveness.

As well as providing maps, locations, and encounters in Vallaki, Barovia Village and their environs (which if you've got HoS and RoE you've pretty much got already), there's a map of the ruins atop Lysaga Hill (which I believe is a reference to EtCR, but I'm not overly familiar with that product), a mini-adventure at the "Old Markov House" (referencing Frantisek Markov), a reference to Yagno Petrovna through his Barovian relatives, a new monastery to add to the list of Barovian retreats, a major plot involving Leo Dilisnya, even a subtle reference to Forlorn. In short it seems steeped in Ravenloft lore.

I've already drawn inspiration from it for my current campaign, I was wondering if any of you had used it or elements from it and what you thought?
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Fair Barovia, Dungeon 207

Post by NeoTiamat »

I wasn't even aware it existed. I'll have to take a look.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

NeoTiamat wrote:I wasn't even aware it existed. I'll have to take a look.
Octobre 2012 issue
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Is that the thing you sign up for on Dragon's website? Like their magazine or something like that right?
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Zilfer wrote:Is that the thing you sign up for on Dragon's website? Like their magazine or something like that right?
Dungeon is Dragon's sister magazine, mostly adventure/module based, tbh since it stopped being in dead tree format I lost track of it, but read a friend's copy