Domain information questions

Discussing all things Ravenloft
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Domain information questions

Post by thekristhomas »

[quote="The Lesser Evil"]
I don't think the wererat of Richemulot vs. werewolf of Verbrek thing would happen naturally. (The two domains shared a border before and never interacted much.
[quote]

I'll be honest, in my head I'd swapped Verbrek and Valachan (so Verbrek was south of Mordent and Valachan south of Richemulot), you are quite right that Richemulot post GC shares a border with Verbrek and pre GC shared the same with Arkandale, and no hostility has erupted before.

Which raises the question, why not? The hatred between differing werecreatures is well documented. It could be the DPs interfering but Verbrek werewolves have been known to raid Invidia. Prior to the GC, Nathan Timothy may have been a restraining factor in the north but without him why haven't Verbrekan raids started in Mordent and Richemulot?

In any case with the massive reduction in trade from Falkovnia and the wider trade on the Sea of Sorrows, scarce resources would push the Mordentish folk towards conflict.

In this it might be useful to Verbrek that their population is mostly self sufficient, the cities of Dementlieu and Richemulot are heavily reliant on Falkovnian grain. Dementlieu at least would still have fishing to help feed their populace. Mordent is IIRC, mostly able to sustain itself though farming and fishing, and I believe, that there is unused land that could support a small number of refugees from the other domains.

There have always been Timothys in Mordent, with at least one surviving member of the original pack. Given this, how many Timothys might have already become ghostly prisoners of Godefroy? (the same is true for many of the relatives of D'Honaire, but would he care?) Might Godfroy use this leverage to keep Mordent's sovereignty?
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

thekristhomas wrote: (the same is true for many of the relatives of D'Honaire, but would he care?)
Answering my own question, given that his mother died in Mordent, maybe quite a lot!
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

thekristhomas wrote:

I'll be honest, in my head I'd swapped Verbrek and Valachan (so Verbrek was south of Mordent and Valachan south of Richemulot), you are quite right that Richemulot post GC shares a border with Verbrek and pre GC shared the same with Arkandale, and no hostility has erupted before.

Which raises the question, why not? The hatred between differing werecreatures is well documented. It could be the DPs interfering but Verbrek werewolves have been known to raid Invidia. Prior to the GC, Nathan Timothy may have been a restraining factor in the north but without him why haven't Verbrekan raids started in Mordent and Richemulot?
My guess would be because Alfred hates humans so much that might turn him into an isolationist. For the most part, humans don't go bothering Verbrek, so he hasn't had to deal with them that much.
Wererats and werewolves are fairly different in their wants and desires. I would suggest the reason that the Richemuloise wererats and the Verbreker werewolves never came to blows is because there is relatively little overlap in the things they both want (and thus would compete for or even come in contact with.) Plus, the Falkovnians always presented a bigger and more salient threat. Now that Faklovnia's no longer in the picture, the Verbreker werewolves might represent more of an "other" for the wererats to exploit in other debates.
In any case with the massive reduction in trade from Falkovnia and the wider trade on the Sea of Sorrows, scarce resources would push the Mordentish folk towards conflict.
The Mordentish for the most part are fairly self-sufficient. They kept most of their would-be trading allies at arm's length, just like they do to foreigners in their lands. Remember that Mordent doesn't have that high of a population to sustain.
in this it might be useful to Verbrek that their population is mostly self sufficient, the cities of Dementlieu and Richemulot are heavily reliant on Falkovnian grain. Dementlieu at least would still have fishing to help feed their populace. Mordent is IIRC, mostly able to sustain itself though farming and fishing, and I believe, that there is unused land that could support a small number of refugees from the other domains.

There have always been Timothys in Mordent, with at least one surviving member of the original pack. Given this, how many Timothys might have already become ghostly prisoners of Godefroy? (the same is true for many of the relatives of D'Honaire, but would he care?) Might Godfroy use this leverage to keep Mordent's sovereignty?
Highly possible, though I think he'd be more subtle. He may try to manipulate the Holy Army of Ezra into redirecting their efforts towards the werewolves of Verbrek (perhaps if he somehow discovered the "evil god" developing there, that might be bait?)

In the Tales of Ravenloft story "The Briar at the Window", it's revealed the House sometimes delivers him mail from different people across the core. It was discussed in this thread that he might be able to work as the lead of an info gathering ring: http://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/vi ... roy+letter
If so, he may have a few secrets and tidbits to exploit in his manipulations. Heck, one of the many spooks imprisoned in the House on Gryphon Hill might be a skilled forger.

If Godefroy resorted to extortion, he'd probably do it to one of the subordinates to the lords and other bigwigs that be, rather than the bigwigs themselves.