Prisoners of the Mists - Online persistent Ravenloft world

Discussing all things Ravenloft
EO
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Prisoners of the Mists - Online persistent Ravenloft world

Post by EO »

Salutations all members of the Fraternity and Ravenloft fans out there!

On the Halloween of 2005, we first opened our Neverwinter Nights 1 Roleplay persistent world server "Ravenloft - Prisoners of the Mist" to the public, and to celebrate the ten year anniversary of this date, we invite everyone to take part in our recurring server and community initiative - the "Play-A-New-Character-Event".

During this event, everyone participating will roll up entirely new characters, giving all equal terms in an exclusively low level environment that provides the perfect setup for immersive and exciting gothic horror roleplay. It is also the perfect time to join the community as everyone starts fresh!

If you are looking for some of the best online roleplay around while meeting with new and old friends alike, you cannot miss out on this!

The event is running from October 30th (Friday) to November 13th (Friday) (2015). After that, the server will continue existing but old and new characters will once again be able to mingle.

Expect a number of DM events and special occurrences to appear in game during the period, but we also invite you to use our forums for planning things with other players.

If you are entirely new to the concept of true roleplay through NWN, we have a helpful topic here that explains the basics. In short though, think of it as shared story telling, just like pen-and-paper roleplay, like a MMORPG whose focus is on RP or even as a MUD with graphics.

To read more about this event, follow this link here, where we will keep you updated with all relevant info.

In game, you will be able to explore and roleplay in many Ravenloft domains: Barovia, Dementlieu, Har'Akir, Blaustein, Ghastria, Sithicus, Hazlan and even venture into the Mists themselves. Or perhaps your character would want to join the Red Vardo Traders, the Dementlieuse gendarmerie or even the Van Richten's Society. You create your character and then interact and join the world in a persistent open world roleplay setting.

Feel free to ask any questions; I'll be more than happy to answer.

Hoping to see some of you there,

- EO,
on behalf of The Ravenloft POTM community and staff.
http://www.nwnravenloft.com/
Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Re: Prisoners of the Mists - Online persistent Ravenloft wor

Post by Skyrock »

This looks intriguing enough to overcome my aversion to real-time action RPGs for a moment and shell out a few bucks for NWN at GOG.com.

Does PotM allow for solo-adventuring (quests, dungeons, wandering monsters, etc), or is it all DM- and event-driven?
Nun gut, es sei dir überlassen!
Zieh diesen Geist von seinem Urquell ab
Und führ ihn, kannst du ihn erfassen
Auf deinem Wege mit herab.
- Faust I
Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Skyrock »

Also, the registration on your forum seems to be borked:
An Error Has Occurred!
The user Skyrock with Email XXX@XXX.XXX (IP XXX) is a Spam, please contact forum administrator.
I've tried it with different e-mail adresses and proxies.
- Faust I
EO
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by EO »

Skyrock wrote:This looks intriguing enough to overcome my aversion to real-time action RPGs for a moment and shell out a few bucks for NWN at GOG.com.

Does PotM allow for solo-adventuring (quests, dungeons, wandering monsters, etc), or is it all DM- and event-driven?
It definitely allows for solo-adventuring, though we encourage people to party up and our dungeons and systems are more geared towards player-to-player cooperation than soloing. You don't need a DM present to play on the world; it's a 24/7 environment. We tend to have DM coverage for most times; DMs run plots, events, help with troubleshooting and possess NPCs but player interaction is the biggest driver of roleplay.

We have dungeons, quests, wandering monsters (the night is dangerous in Barovia), a crafting system, etc. You can sell and buy gear from player merchants or from NPC merchants or explore dungeons to get loot.
Skyrock wrote:Also, the registration on your forum seems to be borked:
An Error Has Occurred!
The user Skyrock with Email XXX@XXX.XXX (IP XXX) is a Spam, please contact forum administrator.
Yikes, this is the first time I see something like that. I'm going to ask our forum admin to look into that.
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

Skyrock wrote:Also, the registration on your forum seems to be borked:
An Error Has Occurred!
Shoot me a PM here with the email address and IP and I'll see what I can do. If worst comes to worst, I'll manually create an account for you.
Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002.
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com
Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Skyrock »

EO wrote:It definitely allows for solo-adventuring, though we encourage people to party up and our dungeons and systems are more geared towards player-to-player cooperation than soloing. You don't need a DM present to play on the world; it's a 24/7 environment. We tend to have DM coverage for most times; DMs run plots, events, help with troubleshooting and possess NPCs but player interaction is the biggest driver of roleplay.

We have dungeons, quests, wandering monsters (the night is dangerous in Barovia), a crafting system, etc. You can sell and buy gear from player merchants or from NPC merchants or explore dungeons to get loot.
I'm sold then.
I tend to pop in and out of such games and play them rather erratically. So interesting things to do even if no players are around or no DM event is happening is a must for me.
Bluebomber4evr wrote:Shoot me a PM here with the email address and IP and I'll see what I can do. If worst comes to worst, I'll manually create an account for you.
Done. Cheers for helping out so fast.
- Faust I
Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Skyrock »

Things have been fun so far (although the learning curve is steep, and I have died a lot).
I've spent 9 bucks and far above on much, much worse games - and I haven't even tried vanilla NWN1 yet.

The effort that went into the NCW area alone is laudable, as I can attest as someone who has dabbled into modding with the venerable (and still outstanding) Jagged Alliance 2. Definitively worth a peek for fans of Ravenloft, even if you don't usually like modern action RPGs (as I do - I normally prefer my twitchy games simple and my complex games turn-based).
- Faust I
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I heard good things about this on the D&DVG podcast. Sounds fun.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Skyrock wrote:Things have been fun so far (although the learning curve is steep, and I have died a lot).
I've spent 9 bucks and far above on much, much worse games - and I haven't even tried vanilla NWN1 yet.

The effort that went into the NCW area alone is laudable, as I can attest as someone who has dabbled into modding with the venerable (and still outstanding) Jagged Alliance 2. Definitively worth a peek for fans of Ravenloft, even if you don't usually like modern action RPGs (as I do - I normally prefer my twitchy games simple and my complex games turn-based).
Not to steal thunder from this topic, but you might check out Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition that just came out. It's got sort of a Neverwinter/Baulder's gate sort of feel without being necessarily the same. Anyways....

Might be interested, I believe I found that play site before but never was able to fully join it for some reason in the past. Not sure if it was due to user error but I might try again since I love all things Ravenloft. xD
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Great, and have a good 10th year anniversary :)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Skyrock »

As a heads-up, NWN1 can be downloaded for free for the next 48 hours from GOG.com: https://www.gog.com/game/neverwinter_ni ... nd_edition

Just in case any of you needed a little extra push to give the POTM mod a little try.
- Faust I
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

I didn't see this post until 2 days later, sad pandas.