MARKET PLACE: Ravenloft's interesting auctions and links

Discussing all things Ravenloft
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: MARKET PLACE: Ravenloft's interesting auctions and links

Post by alhoon »

Emmm... I don't speak German. I was about to order it but I wasn't sure if there were costs I couldn't read about.

EDIT: Meh, it seems I have either ordered it or put it in the to-buy list. I have no idea which of the two or which button to push...
I haven't received an email about my order but it tells me (google translate is your friend) that it's expected to arrive in 2 days.

EDIT2: Apparently I've ordered it after all... I got an email that it'll arrive in 1-2 weeks. Cost me ~6Euros. Not bad.

If I bought it from USA it would arrive in Early July and cost me ~20 Euros.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Alhoon if you need any help with translation from German drop me an email.

Also there's a nifty new meta search engine: http://www.isbns.net. You can search incl postage to any country.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Yeah, I figured the hassle (and risk) of google translating from German or French to order would be worth the local-ish Europe shipping. Congrats! I think you'll like that book. I do.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I am sure I will. What seriously scared me is that I actually ordered it by accident without realizing it, without giving my card number or anything. Probably one of the many stuff I pressed thinking it was "cancel" was "order and proceed" and the German Amazon had my credit card information from the American one and used it without me realizing that I authorized it.
That was scary. Although I'm glad for my purchase, I will avoid that German site in the future. I don't want to accidentally buy something expensive and order it, thinking I was cancelling the order.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

alhoon wrote:Emmm... I don't speak German. I was about to order it but I wasn't sure if there were costs I couldn't read about.

EDIT: Meh, it seems I have either ordered it or put it in the to-buy list. I have no idea which of the two or which button to push...
I haven't received an email about my order but it tells me (google translate is your friend) that it's expected to arrive in 2 days.

EDIT2: Apparently I've ordered it after all... I got an email that it'll arrive in 1-2 weeks. Cost me ~6Euros. Not bad.

If I bought it from USA it would arrive in Early July and cost me ~20 Euros.

alhoon I live in Canada and I have ordered from Europe before. The shipping isnt all that drastic and I usually get my order in a decent amount of time.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

I live in Germany, and I'm always looking in Europe to sve on postage. Sometimes even a google search with site:.fr or site.it added yields results that a metasearch engine doesn't. For example found the Bastards of Erebus AP in Italy for list price, while everywhere else you have to pay more than twice that. I bought all 4 of their stock and am now reselling the others slowly... The whole page was in italian though, so i feel your pain alhoon.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Would "Baroness of Blood" be worth the trouble (and risk of accidentally buying something expensive) to buy used from Germany or France?
My DMGuild work!
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

alhoon wrote:Would "Baroness of Blood" be worth the trouble (and risk of accidentally buying something expensive) to buy used from Germany or France?
It has been a long time since I read it, but it wasn't a bad read. It is very non-Lofty regarding the people and places, but has a fresher tone because it has people and events that are well paced and given a lot more perspective and personality. That said, is it absolutely essential that it be read (like Knight of the Black Rose or I, Strahd, etc)? No. Is it better than other books in the series? Yes. So (depending on the money involved), I would like to think it would be worth your time to read, but not an essential piece of Ravenloft history. I know one of the eBooks on the site has a breakdown of her and her domain, but I understand why you would not want to read it as it would be full of spoilers. So (pending costs), yes get the book.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I vote yes too. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's completely non-essential, taking place off in an Island domain that's hardly ever referred to since. But well written, and very Ravenloftian in tone.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Any Ravenloft novel is a novel about a place and characters that don't exist. Some (most actually) include places and\or people I've read about in other game products.

That this one doesn't refer places I know, just means that when I see a name or a place I wouldn't have prior knowledge.

PS. As far as essentials go, I wouldn't put KotBR in the "essential list". I would put Sleep with Evil though (That has only Montarri and references to Darkon) in the list. Why? Because like I, Strahd it gives an excellent insight on the plane from the eyes of someone in it and actually not someone "in the know" as Strahd.
I.e. "To Sleep with Evil" is what I refer to people when they ask me what Ravenloft is. Not "I, Strahd".
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Just bought from DrivethruRPG the Gothic Castle map set by gamer printshop. Increadibly low price in my opinion.
You get a whole castle for 3$. You want detail? Excruciating detail? The maps of the castle are broken down to like 80-90 pages of detailed submaps. You can count the pebbles in those maps.
And in the back there are big maps you can print out.
As a bonus, this bargain map was made from our own friend Michael K. Turney.

PS. Ever missed the map needed for the Lebentods in the ship of horror? That one is nice for that.

EDIT:
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product_rev ... _id=150702
A very nice map for anyone that wants to play in Souragne. This map exudes "I'm swamp".
My DMGuild work!
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Is anyone seeking Ravenloft Ral Partha boxed sets? There's a seller on eBay.de listing a lot of them in shrinkwrap
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Amazon has a few copies of Vecna Reborn at a surprisingly good price:

Two for just under $50 and one for $35 (which is darn good).
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Jester of the FoS wrote:Amazon has a few copies of Vecna Reborn at a surprisingly good price:

Noble Knight might be cheaper but didn't check. I have gotten quite a few AD&D 2nd edition books for cheaper than that from their site.
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

tarlyn wrote:
Jester of the FoS wrote:Amazon has a few copies of Vecna Reborn at a surprisingly good price:

Noble Knight might be cheaper but didn't check. I have gotten quite a few AD&D 2nd edition books for cheaper than that from their site.
Noble Knight (whom I like, due to its support for podcasts I enjoy and thus recommend using) sells at the $55 range.