the kristhomas's map collection

Discussing all things Ravenloft
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

the kristhomas's map collection

Post by thekristhomas »

I made a map of Mordent, based on the original map from the black box, with the following info added

Heather House and Gryphon Hill from I10 (their locations based on their relation to each other and Arden Bay from the map in I10, I'm pretty sure the distances are a bit off, but if I'd tried to work from the I10 map scale they'd have been REALLY squashed up)

The tributary of the Arden from the Red Box (this was done by eye as it's impossible to get the red and black boxes' maps to match up

Westcote Manor and the Great Moor from Howls in the Night module. (again by eye based on the adventure map)

Idlethorpe from CotN:Created, the text specifies a crossroads, by intentionally avoiding Blackburns Crossing with the southern road I created a cross roads for the town to be located (based on it's location on the Mordent Cartographic Society's version)

Preston Hill from th CotN:Ghosts , gaz3 mentions a village in the Lightless forest but doesn't name it, I assumed it was Preston Hill

The rest is from Gaz3, some clearly identifiable locations were marked first and the rest based on interpretation of the text

I get that it's not as pretty as most maps you might see but I was aiming for the black box look(failed) and for it to be comprehensive.

I'm asking that if you spot any glaring errors, or think I have missplaced a location please tell me, or if you have any tips to make it look more black boxy that'd be cool
Attachments
mordentside.PNG
mordentside.PNG (123.82 KiB) Viewed 4551 times
Last edited by thekristhomas on Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: CC2 map of Mordent

Post by thekristhomas »

Same map, Heidelburg-Normal font. It's probably embarrassing how excited I was at being able to use to right font. Mostly it was cos I'm not hugely tech savvy, and it took me a while to work out
Attachments
mordentside.PNG
mordentside.PNG (119.59 KiB) Viewed 4532 times
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Quite happy with this one, thus far it's just the info from gaz1 on top of the contour map of barovia and gundark from the black box, I haven't looked at other canon locations to add yet. It would be a great help to me if any pop into your head to let me know here
Attachments
barovia1.PNG
barovia1.PNG (146.03 KiB) Viewed 4532 times
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

and then this is the post gc version
Attachments
barovia2.PNG
barovia2.PNG (143.38 KiB) Viewed 4532 times
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

yeah, the Heidelburg font is not only more "Ravenloft" but also more readable. nice maps!

PS - it's Krezk, not Kresk, but no big deal.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

dammit! thou whoreson zed! lol thanks for pointing that out, easily fixed
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Map of Forlorn, based on the black box map, with info from the map in Castles Forlorn, and some info from gaz (haven't placed Castle Forfarmax yet maybe some other stuff)
Attachments
forlorn.PNG
forlorn.PNG (76.58 KiB) Viewed 4479 times
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Wow, massive typo alert! the amount of times I looked at that and didn't see the missing R in Forlorn, if you see any more give a shout :D
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Fo'lorn has a certain appeal to it though, Fo'sure! :)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Is there any way for me to rename this thread? I think this would be as good a place as any to share my maps with the community, but worry that the thread title wouldn't describe that.

I could start a new thread called "thekristhomas's maps" or something if that's not possible
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

thekristhomas wrote:Is there any way for me to rename this thread? I think this would be as good a place as any to share my maps with the community, but worry that the thread title wouldn't describe that.

I could start a new thread called "thekristhomas's maps" or something if that's not possible
yes, edit the first post and change the subject to what you want...
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: the kristhomas's map collection

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Missing locations for Forlorn
Desperation Road (Gaz I web enhancement)
Forfarmax (the hamlet, actually across the border in Hazlan, but relevant enough should probably be on the map)
Gorge of Passing Sorrow (Gaz 1, p. 65)
Kilovan River
Tower of Disgrace (Gaz 1, p.65)

Locations in Barovia
Keep of Forgetting
Mirror River (Genspejlle)
Monastery of Silver Threads

Locations in Mordent
Dairon's Tower (champions of darkness p104)
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

The Lesser Evil wrote:Missing locations for Forlorn
Forfarmax (the hamlet, actually across the border in Hazlan, but relevant enough should probably be on the map)
Gorge of Passing Sorrow (Gaz 1, p. 65)
Kilovan River
Tower of Disgrace (Gaz 1, p.65)

Locations in Barovia
Keep of Forgetting
Mirror River (Genspejlle)
Monastery of Silver Threads

Locations in Mordent

Excellent! Thank you that's exactly the kind of thing I was asking for
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Re: the Monastery of Silver Threads

My understanding is that the aforementioned is positioned on the slopes of Mt Baratak, now there is already a monastery on the slopes of Baratak, but it is over the border in Markovia. I'm not the first to suggest that these are the same monasteries, but this Markovian monastery is detailed in the module "Neither Man Nor Beast", and it is unlikely that the Order of Guardians that currently inhabit it would be unaware of the vampiric remains of Leo Dilisnya entombed below them. Therefore, canonically at least the Markovian monastery is not the Monastery of Silver Threads.

I'm unlikely to be using that adventure as written, so IMC the Markovian monastery will be the Monastery of the Silver Threads, mostly from a design perspective, my PCs find out about the entombment of Leo Dilisnya as part of the final events of the GC, so it's useful to have Markovia removed (monastery included) requiring a more strenuous quest to find it. But that's just IMC.

So, canonically, if it must be in Barovia, and it must be on Baratak, do we suppose that these two monasteries formed part of a larger complex? just idle speculation really
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

The Lesser Evil wrote:Missing locations for Forlorn
The Lesser Evil wrote:Locations in Mordent
Desperation Road: I don't have this web enhancement (I didn't really know about them, are they considered canon?) so any information that could be provided on that would be great

Dairon's Tower: I checked in Champions of Darkness, it says the tower is located on the border between Mordent and Borca, problem being Mordent and Borca don't have a border. The text says the adventure takes place in Mordent, Richemulot and Borca, but Richemulot is not mentioned after this. So I would assume that it meant to say that the tower lies on the Richemulot/Borca border. However the text does go on to mention a Mordentish fishing village named Ghent, which I imagine to be in the southern half of the domain.

If you disagree with my reading of this or have more info please let me know, I want these maps to be as useful as possible :)