Pathfinder in the Mists

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Pathfinder in the Mists

Post by Mortavius »

Yeah, I was thinking that too...

I dunno. I understand that he's always had the spell, just like pretty much every 18th level and higher Wizard NPC has had the spell. (For such a powerful magic spell, it's awfully prevalent.) I think I would remove the spell. To explain the stuff that Azalin can do without casting a certain spell, it's easy enough to say that a combination of spells, perhaps used in a specific order, in a specific place (he has a whole bunch of special spell rooms in Avernus), cast with special material components causes different effects from normal. Maybe not something he can just duplicate on the fly, but with preparation and forethought he can create the effect, much similar to ritual magic in 4E, in a way.
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

But also remember that wishes get twisted regardless, and in Ravenloft, whether and how they work is by fiat of the Dark Powers.

So if they feel he's using it to circumvent his curse in a dull way, they can just make the spell fizzle. After he's crushed a 25,000 gp diamond to do it. There can't be that many of them around, even with all of Azalin's resources.

If his wish is going to serve their purposes (as the cloning experiment that led to Lowellyn Dachine and Our Hero, or the time travel experiment obviously did - both of which went wrong in ways Azalin didn't forsee, you will recall), or isn't anything they care about, they can let it go.

The point of Azalin's curse is to frustrate and torment him. What could be more frustrating than having allegedly limitless wish powers that you can't actually use effectively?
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Impressive work, Ryan. I like the spells especially (definitely keep wish) and the annotated history of course. (The latter is really very useful)

I really want to see your take on paths of terror I.e. for failed power checks. What we saw so far differs quite from the old example paths, granting bonus feats even levels.

I wonder what HMB says to your version of Azalin. I'll have to compare it to his 3.5 version here which uses the dicefreaks lich.

Oh an there seems to be a slight error: his strength should either be 10 or you could switch the base arrays str and con and make it 12. ...so no more strength 17, huh?
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

A mistake! I think not! No one saw anything; there's no evidence...

By which I mean, thank you and I've fixed it.

No more Str 17, but he really doesn't need it. His lich touch already has a pretty hefty damage bonus; hand of the apprentice gives him a pretty frightening attack bonus, and I can't imagine he needs to lug heavy objects around very often. That's what golems and servants are for.

If you really wanted to, you could give him a belt of Str +6, which would bring him back into line.

HMB and I see Azalin's power level very differently. Mine is I think quite true to canon; his has always been much more powerful.

I have general rules for Powers checks, but no set terror tracks. Let's face it; the darklords don't really seem to follow them (or they're extremely individual ones), and they've been my main focus.
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

Very good points Ryan. I like the idea of him having Wish and the Dark Powers preventing him using it to cast new spells. Dangling the carrot and such. Consider me convinced.
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

Ryan Naylor wrote:And a truly inspirational spell, albeit in note form:

Create Faux Henchman
Witch 6, Sorcerer/Wizard 6
Touch
Permanent

Humanoid form: Can be made small (Dex +2) or medium (Str +2). Also Cha +4. (plus Str +6, Dex -4 if diminutive, Str +4, Dex -2 if tiny).
Hey Ryan, can you clarify this point? I'm working on something, and trying to use your work with it. It seems to be that you're saying if the Humanoid form is Small, they get Dex +2, if Medium, they get Str +2. Regardless, they get Cha +4. That's all fine.

But what's this second bit? Diminutive is smaller than Tiny, and they get a higher Str bonus? Also...why Dex penalties? Normally small creatures get Str penalties and Dex bonuses?
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

According to the size adjustment rules in Pathfinder (see the polymorph section in the magic chapter), you adjust the creature's size to small, and then adjust from there.

So, we create faux henchman from a bat (diminutive, S 1 D 15 Ch 5): first you adjust it for being a diminutive creature (and the Cha bonus) to S7 D11 Ch 9. Then you adjust it for the type of humanoid you want to turn it into: as a gnome (small), it gets Dex +2, so it becomes S 9 D 13 Ch 9; as a human (medium), it gets Str +2 and becomes S 11 D 11 Ch 9.

From a cat (tiny, S 3 D 15 Ch 7), you first get S 7 D 13 Ch 11, then as a gnome, you get S 7 D 15 Ch 11 or as a human you get S 9 D 11 Ch 11.

For Silessa, you're going to want to find another Cha bonus for her from somewhere. Snakes are not as charismatic as Silessa appears to be. Since Cha is to a large extent confidence, sense of self and individuality, I imagine part of the Twisting that made her an independent person gave her that bonus. Tindafulus may have enchanted her up as well. Otherwise she'll end up an attractive woman with no one home (like a sci fi "companion" robot).

From a viper (tiny, S 4 D 17 Ch 2) to an elf, you get S 10 D 15 Ch 6.
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

That's what I ended up going with; that size chart in the back of the Bestiary. Although in your example of Silessa above, I believe you're missing an extra -2 to Dex. She gets -2 from Tiny to Small, and then another -2 from Small to Medium. Also gets a +2 to Con from going from Small to Medium.

I've got Silessa posted in my Carnival thread; I'd love to get your feedback on her and how I see her.
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

The polymorph chart and the Bestiary size chart work slightly differently; you adjust them to Small, and then you get the alter self bonuses on top of that. So she doesn't get the Dex penalty or the Con bonus.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/magic.html
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

Ahh, thanks Ryan. I've adjusted Silessa to conform to those standards now. I prefer it this way; her stats are a little more varied than running along the base line like they did before.
Ivoshandor
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Ivoshandor »

Awesome work Ryan got two requests though. Requiem rules and Nightmare/dream rule. I have ideas on both but if you have done them already, I would like to see what you got.
On my tomb stone it will read "I'm so Gothic I'm Dead"
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

I haven't done Requiem rules because I don't think Pathfinder needs them: just add the right template and go from there.

I have dream rules, which I'll put up.
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Magic in the Mists

Bear in mind the following alterations when adjudicating magic from spells and magical items. Remember that domains are treated as separate planes for the purposes of casting spells across borders, and that no magic can overcome a closed domain border.

The Semblance of Reason
As noted above, the supernatural has little overt role in the lives of most of those living in the Land of the Mists.

Users of divine magic, for example, should not obviously cast spells. That is, while a priest may stop in combat to bless a companion or pray for protection, the prayer is not answered by a glowing aura over said companion or the appearance of an enormous fiery shield. Wherever possible, minimise the visual effects of these spells. They have full effect in terms of the game mechanics, but are able to be passed off as coincidence by Doubting Thomases in the world itself. It should be emphasised though that characters who are affected by magic (especially those who pass their saves) are aware of what’s happened.

Similarly, the effect of magical weapons with properties such as flaming, brilliant or related powers should be downplayed. Instead of a visual corona of flames, the sword might project an aura of unnaturalness that warns opponents to stay clear, and invisible flames do fire damage to those struck by it, but from a distance, all but the most powerful or corrupt magical items are not obviously supernaturally empowered.

To help the GM mediate these effects, it is important to emphasise that hit points are just as much luck as physical toughness. A prayer for healing is much more believably ambiguous if the GM presents it as discovering that wounds weren’t as bad as first thought, or returning someone to consciousness by slapping their cheek and praying for mercy, rather than describing wounds closing and people rising from near-fatal injuries. In a similar vein, it is easier to conceal the alignment and nature of opponents from effects like Alignment Channel if you imagine the effect is, in essence, making their luck run out, rather than damaging them. In this mould, a lack of hit points means it is more likely that a fatal blow will be struck, not that a holy word or similar is actually physically damaging.

Finally, magical items are not typically overtly sold as magical items. They might be seen as priceless heirlooms or dwarf-crafted weapons. They might be simple folk remedies prepared by village wise women, or blessed water from a holy font, instead of potions of healing. These items are still available, but they are not thought of as magical items.

For PCs who want powerful, rare, overt or costly magical items, seeking out a spellcaster, dwarf, elf, hag or other supernatural creature to procure the item is also an option. The GM may make it as simple as burying their sword overnight with 2,000 gp as a gift for the dwarves, or as complex as a quest to prove their worth to their potential benefactor.

See Chapter Eight: Forged of Darkness below.
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Altered Magic
In general, magic cannot be used to escape Ravenloft, and only calling magic can summon creatures from outside it. Magic that creates undead is more powerful, while magic that destroys or controls them is weaker. Curses are also harder to break. The Mists help conceal the future, moral alignment, undead and fiends from spellcasters. Any magic that involves shadows, raising the dead or possession can suffer potential mishaps. Only spells that can cross planar boundaries can cross domain boundaries.

Banishment
These spells cannot send an extrapalanar creature back to its home plane. They merely banish it to another domain. Once banished, the creature cannot approach within a mile of its banisher for 1 day per spell level. Spells affected: holy word, blasphemy, dictum, word of chaos, banishment, dismissal, dispel evil etc.

Calling
Once called to Ravenloft, a creature has no way of returning to its home plane. As such, it may be hostile to its summoner once freed. Spells affected: gate, planar ally (lesser, greater), planar binding (lesser, greater).

Creating Undead
One hour after casting these spells, the spell reactivates with a burst radius of 5 ft per spell level. Any corpses in the burst animate as free willed undead of the type created by the original spell. Spells affected: (Lesser) animate dead, create (greater) undead

Curses
Remove curse and break enchantment cannot lift a curse that has a permanent duration and a worded escape clause. It simply lifts it for a number of days equal to the caster level. If there is no worded escape clause, the curse can be lifted normally. Spells affected: bestow curse, blindness/deafness, greater brand, curse of disgust, cursed earth, geas (lesser), major curse, mark of justice, nature’s exile, prediction of failure, reprobation, rest eternal.
Major Curse: If the original recipient of the curse dies, the curse is passed on to the victim’s children. They must save against the spell (without the +5 DC of the original spell) or be afflicted.
See the section on curses below.

Death
Any creature killed by nightmare, horrid wilting, or a spell with the Death descriptor rises from the dead 24 hours later as undead. If the original caster is present when they do so, the two can make contested Wisdom checks; if the caster wins, the undead falls under his control. Otherwise, the undead is free willed and typically dedicated to vengeance. Spell affected: Circle of death, death candle (pyre elemental), death knell, destruction, enemy’s heart, finger of death, howling agony, horrid wilting, nightmare, power word kill, slay living, symbol of death, wail of the banshee.

Detect Alignment
Moral alignment can’t be magically detected in Ravenloft, or used to identify targets for spells. Spells affected: detect evil/good (don’t exist), antipathy, binding, hallow, phase door, symbol spells, sympathy, unhallow (can’t target a specific alignment), follow aura, see alignment (can’t specify good/evil alignment). Spells that indirectly target alignment (forbiddance, holy word, protection from evil etc) work normally, but the GM should describe spell effects in such a way that is doesn’t reveal a character’s alignment.

Divination
Augury: The base chance of the spell working is 50% + 1 %/lvl, not 70%. If the roll is 80%+, a misleading false result is provided. The caster thinks the false result is true. Hags and Vistani have a base chance of 70% and are not at risk of misleading results
Divination: Oracle only, unless the cleric is a hag or a Vistani.
Commune, contact other plane: These spells contact the subconscious mind of the domain’s darklord. The caster knows they have contacted some powerful, malevolent force, but don’t know what. The darklord can make a Wisdom check (DC 15 + caster’s Intelligence or Wisdom modifier) to become aware of the caster’s intrusion, in which case it can choose to answer truthfully or not, and becomes aware of the caster’s general location (to within approximately 1 mile). Some darklords (e.g. Malken) may receive a bonus to this roll. If the darklord isn’t aware of the intrusion, the GM should decide whether they know the answer or not.

Mastery
Some darklords are able to control certain creatures or the weather. In these cases, the creatures get a bonus to their saves equal the darklord’s Charisma modifier. No creature controlled by the darklord will attack its master; if commanded to, it will resolve its confusion by trying to flee.
If the darklord can control the weather, it can regain control of it whenever it wants as a swift action. If it chooses not to, the spell takes effect normally.

Mind Reading
Intelligent undead and evil outsiders can project false thoughts as a move equivalent action to disguise their true natures, providing they are aware of the spell being cast.

Possession
These spells hold more risks for both the caster and the host than in other realms.
Familiar melding, magic jar, marionette possession – If your host body is slain, you must make a Will save or be bound to the host body as an undead creature. This effectively ends the spell, as you are trapped in your new body. If you are so bound, you are not at risk of becoming a ghost at the end of the spell or upon the destruction of the receptacle (for magic jar).
Any life force with nowhere to go at the end of the spell due to the destruction of its body reanimates as a ghost. If it is trapped within a receptacle (as in magic jar), it may eventually learn how to escape its prison, but destroying the receptacle destroys the life force within it. Destroying the receptacle doesn’t end the spell. Your spirit must be able to pass through the receptacle at the end of the spell—if the jar has been destroyed, you become a ghost.
Possess object – As above, although obviously there is no host soul. If you become trapped, you become a ghost bound to that object.
Shadow projection, skinsend – You must make a Will save (with a +5 bonus) to return to your body at the end of the spell (or, for skinsend, if regenerate is cast upon your body) or be trapped as a shadow or as a boneless. Your body dies.

Raising the Dead
When casting these spells, the caster must make a Knowledge (religion) or Spellcraft check (DC 20 + number of days or decades the subject has been dead, depending on the spell used) or there is a mishap and the soul comes back wrong.
Spells affected: Breath of life, raise dead, raise animal companion, reincarnation, (temporary, true) resurrection

Shadows
If you fail a Will save, these spells collapse into free-willed shadows with HD equal to the spell level at the end of the spell. Spells affected: Exquisite accompaniment, haunting mists, gloomblind bolts, lunar veil, project image, shades, shadow bard, (greater) shadow conjuration, (greater) shadow evocation, shadow step, shadow walk, shadow weapon, shadow anchor, shadowy haven (despite not having the shadow descriptor), (lesser) simulacrum.

Summon Monster and Summon Nature’s Ally
Creatures of any alignment can be summoned by summoners, sorcerers and wizards (although not by clerics, inquisitors or oracles). As these spells can’t reach outside Ravenloft, only creatures that can be drawn from the domain can be summoned. If the caster attempts to summon a creature that is not within the domain, the spell fails.
For summon nature’s ally, this includes normal animals, vermin, fey, magical beasts, plants, elementals and giants.
For summon monster, this includes elementals, oozes, and magically empowered animals and vermin native to that domain (i.e. creatures with the fiendish, celestial and similar templates). Outsiders can be summoned if they are within that domain. When summoning elementals, there is a 5% chance that an uncontrolled dread elemental is summoned instead.
The Creatures of the Id feat allows all of the above creatures to be summoned as well as outsiders and aberrations. These are drawn from the subconscious of the caster, not the domain or the planes.
Creatures with the Mists descriptor can be summoned in any domain. Magic items that summon monsters (e.g. a horn of berserkers) typically summon Mist creatures. In this case, the creatures are always evil and destructive.

Spell Level CR of Creatures Summoned
I ¼-½
II 1
III 2
IV 3-4
V 5-6
VI 7-8
VII 9-10
VIII 11-12
IX 13-14

Sympathetic Magic
Possessing an item from the intended target of a spell increases the spell’s effectiveness, while possessing an item from the spellcaster acts as a counter charm and increases the target’s resistance to her sorcery. Material items are possessions of an individual: articles of clothing, jewellery, keepsakes, frequently employed implements or the like. Items used once and discarded by an individual are considered material items if they retain something from the person, such as cloth that has absorbed blood, sweat, or saliva. Intrinsic items, on the other hand, are items that were once an actual part of the individual: hair, nail clippings, a tooth, the odd severed finger, or some other lost body part. These items are usually sealed by the caster in individual pouches. Material items give a +1/–1 bonus/penalty on saving throws, while intrinsic items give a +2/–2 bonus/penalty.

Transmutations
Any spells that alter someone’s appearance to something unnatural or inhuman provokes xenophobia, and may be cause for Fear saves and outright hostility.

Other
Awaken – Intelligent plants slowly absorb the evil taint of the darklord from the soil of the domain. Every month, it must make a Will save (DC 1 per month since awakening) or have its moral alignment shift permanently to evil.
Command undead, disrupting weapon – Undead can apply their channel resistance to Will saves against these spells.
Create (greater, lesser) demiplane – Although this spell appears to work normally at first, should any creature fail their fifth Powers check in the demiplane, they become its darklord. You lose control of the new domain and it slowly alters to reflect its new lord. Casting this spell requires a Powers check, which may result in you becoming the domain’s new lord.
Detect undead – Undead can make Will saves to avoid detection. The aura of undeath detected by this spell is determined by how many fail their saves.
Insanity – If you wish, you can inflict 1 permanent madness per 5 caster levels instead of the usual effect.
Miracle, (limited) wish – These spells provoke Powers checks and function only at the Dark Power’s fiat.
Mutagenic touch – The creature affected by this spell also make a Will save (DC 5 + half your level + Int modifier + 2 per additional discovery applied) or their moral alignment becomes evil until the mutagen wears off.
Protective penumbra – Vampires exposed to sunlight while affected by this spell are still staggered, although they are not damaged by the exposure.
Soothe Construct – Against intelligent constructs, this has the effect of a calm emotions spell.
Speak with dead – All dead make a save to resist, regardless of their alignment.
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

New Magic

Army of Darkness: Cleric 9, sorcerer/wizard 9
Range: Close (25 ft + 5 ft/2 levels)
Effect: 5 ft burst/2 levels
This spell functions as animate dead, except that it animates all the corpses within range. As usual, you can only control a number of HD equal to four times your caster level. Any others beyond this are free willed.

Augment Undead (Necromancy [evil]): Antipaladin 1, cleric 1, sorcerer/wizard 2
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Components: V, S, M (a vial of unholy water), DF
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Area: 20-ft.-radius emanation
Duration: 1 min/level
Saving Throw Will negates (harmless); Spell Resistance yes
Any undead augmented by this spell gain a +3 profane bonus to channel resistance, and a +1 profane bonus on all attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws.

Baneful Attractor (Transmutation [curse]): Magus 3, sorcerer/wizard 3, witch 3
Components: V, S, M (broken glass)
Target: 1 creature
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates; Spell Resistance: Yes
Any spell targeted at any creature within 20 ft of the subject has a 50% chance of veering off course, striking the subject instead as if they were the intended subject of the spell. The subject of baneful attractor must be within the range of the misdirected spell for the spell to be attracted to them. Ranged touch spells that intentionally target the subject of this spell gain a +4 luck bonus to their attack roll.

Bestow Embarrassing Curse: Antipaladin 1, cleric 1, sorcerer/wizard 2, witch 1
This spell functions as bestow troublesome curse, except you may choose one of the following curses:
An increased level of xenophobia (from a physical change, like black hands, or a strange habit, like baying at the moon); -2 to an ability score; -1 to an attack or saving throw; a minor fear or madness condition.

Bestow Dangerous Curse: Antipaladin 4, cleric 4, sorcerer/wizard 5, witch 4
This spell functions as bestow troublesome curse, except you may choose one of the following curses:
Afflicted lycanthropy; a major madness effect; -8 to an ability score; -6 to attack rolls and saves; confusion; become undead after death.

Bestow Frustrating Curse: Antipaladin 2, cleric 2, sorcerer/wizard 3, witch 2
-4 to an ability score; -2 to attack rolls and saves; a moderate fear or horror effect; a minor madness effect; deafness; haunted by the victim’s ghost; a major physical or personality change (uncontrollable lusts, vestigial wings, change sex)

Bestow Lethal Curse: Cleric 5, sorcerer/wizard 6, witch 5
-10 at an ability score; -8 to attack rolls and saves; torturous death; immediate, permanent transformation into a monster (hag, undead, construct etc); permanent alignment change; extreme behavioural requirements (must kill once a day etc).

Bestow Troublesome Curse
As bestow curse. Other curses include blindness; a major fear or horror effect; disease; a moderate madness effect; stalked by a monster.

Bestow Wound (Necromancy): Magus 1, sorcerer/wizard 1, witch 1
Casting Time: 1 action
Components: V, S, M (a small piece of bloodstone)
Range: Touch
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates; Spell Resistance: Yes
If wounded, you can cast this spell and touch a living creature. The target takes 1 point of damage per caster level, to the maximum needed to bring you up to your maximum hit points. You heal that much damage, as if a cure spell had been cast on you.

Bone Seizure (Necromancy): Bard 5, magus 5, sorcerer/wizard 5, witch 5
Duration: 1 round/level
This spell functions as dominate monster, except you may only control the physical activities of the victim. The subject must have a skeleton or exoskeleton. The subject can try to resist your control, applying their Strength bonus as a penalty to initiative, AC, attack rolls and all Dexterity-based checks. The subject can still hiss out words, but cannot cast spells with verbal components.

Control Shape (Transmutation): Druid 4, magus 4, sorcerer/wizard 4, witch 4
Casting Time: 1 action
Components: V, S, M (a blob of wax and a blob of clay)
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 hour/level
This spell allows one creature under the effect of a polymorph effect (including afflicted lycanthropes) to transform back and forth as a standard action between its true form and its altered form for the spell’s duration (or the duration of the polymorph effect, whichever is shorter). An afflicted lycanthrope doesn’t have to make Constitution checks to change forms while the subject of this spell. The target retains its own mind and alignment for the duration of this spell. If the polymorph effect would normally be ended by the subject returning to their true form, it does not end while they are affected by control shape.

Corrupt Charm (Enchantment (compulsion) [emotion, mind-affecting]): Bard 2, inquisitor 3, sorcerer/wizard 3, witch 3
Components: V, S
Target: 1 creature who is affected by a charm or dominate spell
Duration: 1 day/level
Saving Throw: Will negates; Spell Resistance: yes
This spell corrupts a pre-existing charm. If the subject fails their save, the effect of the charm or dominate spell is immediately ended. Instead, they become subject to either unnatural lust or malicious spite (50% chance of either), targeting the caster of the original charm. If this spell is cast on someone who is not affected by a charm or dominate spell, it has no effect.

Create Goblyn (Transmutation [evil]): Sorcerer/wizard 5, witch 5
Casting Time: 1 full-round action
Components: V, S, M (a handful of mud mixed with humanoid blood)
Range: Medium (100 ft + 10 ft./level)
Target: One humanoid creature
The subject of this spell is transformed into a goblyn. It is absolutely loyal to its creator, and has only dim memories of its previous life.

Dark Sentinels (Conjuration [summoning]): Druid 3, ranger 3, witch 3
Casting Time: 1 round
Components V, S, DF
Range: 1 mile/level
Effect: one swarm of birds
Duration 10 min/level
Saving Throw none; Spell Resistance no
This spell summons a swarm of dark birds, typically ravens or crows (as a swarm of bats). The swarm appears in your square, and can be sent to seek out the nearest aberration, hag, outsider, shapechanger or undead, flying at 40 ft/round (or approximately 5 miles per hour). The target can make a Will save to avoid detection, in which case the birds seek out the next nearest target of that type. You can sense the approximate direction of the swarm at all times. When you are within 100 ft of the swarm, you can command them to observe (in which case, they follow it wherever they can, or settle on whatever surface they can around the creature or its lair), attack or seek out a new target.

Deadly Feast (Necromancy): Cleric 5, druid 4, witch 5
Effect: 5 ft./level burst
Duration: Instantaneous or 1 hour (see text)
This spell functions as poison, except that all food and drink within the emanation becomes poisoned. The affected food remains poisonous for 1 hour, and retains its potency if taken away from the burst radius. After 1 hour, it fades without a trace.

Deconstruct (Transmutation): Magus 5, sorcerer/wizard 5
Components: V, S, M (a vial of acid)
Target: one construct
Saving Throw: Will negates; Spell Resistance: no
This spell decreases the target’s DR/adamantine by 10 or its hardness by 10 (to a minimum of 1). If the target does not have DR/adamantine or hardness, this spell has no effect. This spell counters and is countered by unbreakable construct.

Detect Shapechanger: Druid 1, ranger 1, sorcerer/wizard 1, witch 1
This spell functions as detect undead, except it detects creatures with the shapechanger subtype. It does not reveal whether the creature’s current form is their natural form or not.

Diminish Undead (Necromancy): Cleric 1, magus 2, sorcerer/wizard 2
Casting Time 1 standard action
Component V, S, M (a bone, which is snapped in half), DF
Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Area 20-ft.-radius emanation
Duration 1 min/level
Saving Throw Will negates; Spell Resistance yes
Any undead affected by this spell suffer a -3 profane penalty to channel resistance, and a -1 profane penalty on all attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws.

Dream Walk: Cleric 4, sorcerer/wizard 4
This spell functions as plane shift, except you move the subject(s) into a dreamscape. You must be able to see the dreamer whose dreams you wish to enter or be within 30 ft of them.

Feast of Oblivion (Abjuration [good]): Paladin 3
Components: V
Target: one creature who has just struck you with an attack
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial; Spell Resistance: yes
This spell infuses you with the power of light and goodness, making your flesh seem repulsive to any evil creatures that might feast upon it. Any evil creature that hits you with a bite attack is wracked with shooting pains that impose a –4 penalty on attack rolls, skills checks, and ability checks for 2d4 rounds. On a successful Fortitude save, the penalty only lasts for 1 round. If an evil creature swallows you whole, it takes 1d8 damage each round and may not make a Fortitude save to avoid the pain until it regurgitates you as a full round action. If an evil creature drains your blood, it must make a Fortitude save or fall unconscious for 24 hours (although they can be awakened by suffering damage). Even if they succeed on their save, they are slowed for 1 round per 2 caster levels.

Ghost Trap (Abjuration): Cleric 5, inquisitor 5, magus 5, sorcerer/wizard 5, summoner 5, witch 5
Components: V, S, M/DF (a pinch of ground glass)
Range: 30 ft
Area: 30 ft. emanation, centred on you.
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
You are surrounded by a field of energy that negates incorporeality. All incorporeal creatures in this field become corporeal. Creatures cannot turn ethereal while in this area. Ethereal creatures that have not manifested cannot manifest.

Induce Lycanthropy
This spell functions as true form, except it forces a shapechanger to assume a bestial alternate form (for lycanthropes, as though it were affected by its trigger). If the target has multiple bestial forms (a hybrid and an animal form, for example), it can choose which form it takes. If its second save fails, it cannot resume humanoid form for the duration of the spell, although it can continue to alternate between animal and hybrid forms.

Lichbane (Evocation): Magus 5, sorcerer/wizard 5
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: 1 creature
Saving Throw: Fortitude half (object); Spell Resistance: No
You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to strike your target with a ray of amethyst light. If your target is a creature or object magically controlled by a lich, it takes 1d6 points of damage per caster level (to a maximum of 15d6). The controlling lich also takes half of the damage suffered by its servant. If your initial target is a lich, the lich takes damage as described, and one of its servants per 2 caster levels also takes 1d6 damage. Those servants closest to the lich are affected first. If your target is neither a lich nor controlled by one, it takes only 1d6 per 2 caster levels of damage.

Mimic Mortal (Necromancy): Sorcerer/wizard 4
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 10 min/level
You can suppress some of the vulnerabilities of being a vampire by suppressing the advantages. You can suppress up to 1 level of abilities per 2 caster levels. The following table is cumulative; to choose an ability, you must suppress all of the abilities above it.

Level Trait Suppressed Advantage Suppressed
1 Repulsed by garlic Damage reduction
2 Repulsed by mirrors Energy drain, channel resistance
3 Requires invitations Fast healing
4 Repulsed by holy symbols Blood drain, create spawn
5 Running water Dominate, children of the night
6 Damaged by holy water Energy resistance
7 Damaged by positive energy Change shape, gaseous form
8 Sunlight Spider climb

Misted Mirror: Sorcerer/wizard 6
Components: V, S, F (a reflective surface big enough for you to pass through)
This spell functions as shadow walk except it transports you to the Plane of Mirrors. You can use this spell to travel rapidly (as with shadow walk), although you must find another reflective surface to emerge from. You can also use the Plane to spy on people, as if using scrying, although you can only see the subject, not hear them, and they must be near a reflective surface for you to do so. They can make a Perception check (DC 10 + your Stealth bonus) to notice you in the reflection. Finding the right mirror takes 3d10 minutes.
The risk of travelling on the Plane of Mirrors is that your reflection animates as a fetch as soon as you enter the Plane, which seeks to replace you in the world of the living. It typically takes 2d20 minutes for the fetch to find you, although if you leave the Plane before it does, you are safe. Should you step through the wrong mirror, you may end up anywhere in Ravenloft.

Mystick Cage (Conjuration (calling)): Cleric 5, sorcerer/wizard 6, summoner 5
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Components: V, S, F (a circular cage 30 ft in diameter, made of wood and wrought iron, 5,000 gp in value)
Range: Unlimited (within domain)
Target: one elemental or outsider
Duration: 10 min
Saving Throw: None; Spell Resistance: no and yes; see text
You summon a fiend and attempt to trap it within its phylactery. To activate the mystick cage, you must use a magic circle spell, focused inward. The cage has a diameter of 30 ft; the inner 20 ft contains the magic circle, leaving a ring 5 ft in width between the outside of the cage and the circle. You must know the target’s true name. A fetish, representative of the target, must be placed at the centre of the cage. If its phylactery is used as the fetish, the fiend may not use spell resistance to avoid the call; it is automatically summoned.
The fiend must remain trapped within the cage for 10 minutes. At the end of this period (or if it is reduced to 0 hp), the fiend is banished to its phylactery for 24 hours. If the phylactery is destroyed in this time, the fiend is permanently annihilated. If it does not have a phylactery, it is annihilated at the climax of the spell.
To keep the fiend trapped, you must designate at least 4 intelligent, living creatures (potentially including yourself), who must remain within the cage for the whole 10 min. The maximum number of creatures you can designate is limited only by how many will fit into the cage without disturbing the magic circle, although you must call each one by its true name at the start of the spell. If fewer than 4 of these creatures remain, the spell fails.
Each round, the fiend can pit its will against yours as a standard action, making a Wisdom check (DC 15 + ½ your caster level + the total Wisdom modifiers of the cage’s designated guardians). The fiend knows instinctively who the guardians are, and can try to induce them to leave the cage by persuasion, threats or the attacks allowed to it within the limitations of the magic circle.

Nature’s Purity (Evocation): Druid 3
This spell functions as scorching ray, except the rays deal 2d8 points of force damage to undead and constructs, and 4d6 points of force damage against aberrations (threatening for a critical hit on 19-20). An aberration killed by this spell is transformed into pure meat and pungent vegetable matter.

Neverending Nightmare [curse]: Bard 6, sorcerer/wizard 7, witch 6
Duration: See below
This spell functions as nightmare except the nightmare returns each night until the target successfully makes a Will save. If you wish, you can implant images of a particular symbol, creature or type of creature such that your victim must make a Fear save upon seeing that image in the waking world.

Oath of Blood: Cleric 8, sorcerer/wizard 8, witch 8
Duration: Until discharged
Saving Throw: None or Will negates (see text)
This spell functions as geas, except the duration is unlimited; it persists until dispelled or the obligation is discharged. You can choose to make the oath a familial oath, or an undying oath. Once chosen, the choice cannot be changed.
Familial oath: The initial subject gains no save, but if they die before completing the obligation, the geas transfers to the closest adult relative, who can make a Will save to avoid the geas. If they save, the spell ends; otherwise, it has full effect, including potentially transferring again. Each new subject has an instinctive understanding of the nature of the obligation.
Undying Oath: Not even death will break your geas. If the target dies before discharging the obligation, they reanimate as undead of a type based on your caster level (as create undead). If killed again, they reanimate as the next weakest form of undead based on your original caster level, and so on until they discharge the obligation (and so die again) or can no longer be reanimated.

Protection from Curses (Abjuration): Cleric 2, inquisitor 2, paladin 2, magus 2, sorcerer/wizard 2, witch 2
This spells functions as hex ward, except it provides a +4 bonus to saves against spells with the curse descriptor, and increases the Charisma check DC of curses of vengeance targeted on the subject by 4.

Reanimate (Necromancy [evil]): Sorcerer/wizard 6
This spell functions as raise dead, except upon reanimation, the subject becomes a construct, gaining construct traits, and must make a Madness save. In addition to the usual effects of a failed Madness save, the subject’s alignment moves 1 step closer to CE for every 5 points by which it fails the save.

See Ethereal Resonance (Divination): Alchemist 2, cleric 1, inquisitor 1, magus 2, sorcerer/wizard 2, witch 2
Components: V, S, M (a piece of smoky quartz)/DF
The subject is able to see all ethereal resonance within 60 ft, as if they had the Ethereal Empathy feat. They cannot see ethereal creatures directly, although they might see their effect upon the ethereal resonance. While this spell is in effect, the subject’s Will saves are modified by ethereal resonance as if they were on the Ethereal Plane.

Soul Anchor (Abjuration [curse]): Cleric 5, sorcerer/wizard 5, summoner 4, witch 5
Duration: Permanent
You bind a creature’s soul to a particular area or edifice that has clearly defined borders (such as a domain, a building or a field). The subject cannot leave this area until you or the owner of the property gives them permission, although they can enter the Ethereal Plane in that area and use magic to transport themselves from one part of the area to another. If the owner is the subject of the spell, they cannot give themselves permission to leave.

Steal Vitality (Necromancy [evil]): Sorcerer/wizard 6, witch 6
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S
Range Close (25 ft + 2 ft/level)
Target Two living creatures
Duration 1 round/level (D)
You open a channel between two creatures, one of which can be yourself. One creature, the victim, gains 1 temporary negative level per round. They can make a Fortitude save each round to resist. The spell ends when the victim makes a successful save. The victim must save again 24 hours later or the negative levels become permanent. If they suffer any temporary negative levels, they suffer the cosmetic effects of aging approximately 2 years per negative level.
The other creature grows physically younger by 1 year per negative level drained from the victim.
This spell cannot affect ageless creatures, such as constructs, elementals, fey, outsiders.

Tomb Ward (Abjuration [curse]): Cleric 9
Casting Time: 1 day
Components: V, S, DF
Effect: 1 tomb (no larger than 18,000 cu ft)
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: None; Spell Resistance: No
To cast this spell, you must walk through every passageway and chamber, marking it with the signs of the curse and your deity. The conditions that trigger the curse can be as broad as “any creature entering” or as specific as “any mortal disturbing the pharaoh’s body or his treasures.” The effect of the curse is also your choice and can replicate any spell of 7th level or lower. You can entomb a number of living creatures with a total number of HD up to your caster level as well. If the curse is triggered, they animate as rank 1 ancient dead to guard the tomb.

Upsurge (Evocation): Druid 7
Components: V, S, DF
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft/level)
Target: 1 elemental, fey or outsider
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial; Spell Resistance: Yes
If the target is a fey, you deal 1d6 damage per caster level to a maximum of 20d6. If the fey fails its Fortitude save, it is also nauseated for the spell’s duration. If the target is an elemental, you deal 1d6 damage per caster level to a maximum of 20d6. The elemental takes half damage on a successful save. If the target is an outsider with a reality wrinkle, it gains 1d4 corruption points, and is stunned for the spell’s duration. On a successful save, it’s reality wrinkle is halved for the duration of the spell. If the target is an outsider without a reality wrinkle or a darklord, there is no effect.

Wicked Permanency [curse, evil]: sorcerer/wizard 4, witch 5
This spell functions as permanency, although it can only make permanent detrimental spells. If any humanoid willingly performs an act of true, unselfish love on behalf of the subject of this spell, the wicked permanency is dispelled.

Word of Purity (Evocation [good]): cleric 4, druid 4, inquisitor 4, paladin 4
Range: medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread
Duration: instantaneous (1d4 rounds); see text
Saving Throw: Will partial; Spell Resistance: yes
With a word, you can burn the impurities from those within hearing.
The spell deals 1d6 damage per caster level, maximum 10d6, to an evil outsider or aberration and causes it to be sickened for 1d4 rounds. With a successful Will save, the damage is reduced to half and the creature is only shaken for 1 round. The effects cannot be negated by remove disease or heal, but remove curse is effective.
The spell deals half damage to all other creatures, and they are not sickened or shaken. Such a creature can reduce the damage by half again (down to one-quarter) with a successful Will save. Innocents, and creatures with an aura of good, are unaffected.

Wolfsong (Enchantment [compulsion, mind-affecting]): bard 3
This spell functions as summon nature’s ally III, except it summons 1d4+1 wolves, 1d3 worgs or 1 dire wolf. The wolves takes 1d3 rounds to arrive, and this spell does not grant any control over them once they arrive.