Savage Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Nikolaï Von Zarovich
Conspirator
Conspirator

Savage Ravenloft

Post by Nikolaï Von Zarovich »

Hi everybody !

I am thinking to create a version of Ravenloft setting will the Savage Worlds's rules. I would like to have your point of view about that.

I know about the D20 rules, now exist the Pathfinder's version. It seems to be a good version of D20. I agree to believe that but the problem for me about Pathfinder and the D20 rules in general it is that has too much rules, too much options, too much features classes.

I would like a more easy and more "light" rules like the Savage Worlds rules.

And I am asking myself if I can and if it is a good idea to create a setting of Ravenloft with the Savage Worlds's rules.

For you it is a good or a bad idea ?

All your ideas and your advices about that are welcome.

Thank you very much !
Nikolaï Von Zarovich
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Savage Ravenloft

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Hi there,

I'm pretty sure other people have suggested this before. I expect they'll be coming shortly to post about it. Personally, I know nothing of the system, so I can't help you, but if it works for you, go ahead and use it!

However, this section of the forum is about the "Rules" of the forum, not the rules of the game, so I'll move your post to the appropriate place, the General Forum (since it's about Ravenloft).

Good luck!
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Nikolaï Von Zarovich
Conspirator
Conspirator

ah oki.

Thank you Gonzoron of the FoS. and I am sorry for my mistake lol about the section. Yes first when I had read "rules" I have believed abut the rules of the roleplaying game not about the forum.

I will write about my future work in progress about it.
Nikolaï Von Zarovich
maglaurus
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by maglaurus »

About a year ago I retooled the module "The Created" as a Savage Worlds one-off. I used the "Reason" rules from the Rippers setting to represent the Fear/Horror/Madness checks in the Ravenloft setting. My players enjoyed it (I used atmospheric music and we played by candlelight when it was nighttime in the game setting). I only had two complaints, and both also hold true for the Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu adaptation Realms of Cthulhu.

*Every major battle comes down to who has chips to spare in the end. If I was running the scenario again I'd keep all chip use on my side of the GM's screen a secret.

*Savage Worlds definitely slants towards players passing fear/reason, especially if you allow chips for re-rolls. I would definitely institute a work-around for that if I ran the scenario again.

If you're interested I did a little blogging about it at this address:
http://savagedravenloft.blogspot.ca/

I did more with my Dark Sun and Dragonlance efforts, but Ravenloft is something I might come back to given enough time and interested players.
To represent means to have kind of magical power
over appearances, to be able to bring into presence what is absent, and that is why writing, the most powerful means of representation, was called “grammarye,” a magical act.
--Stephen A. Tyler
Nikolaï Von Zarovich
Conspirator
Conspirator

Thank you for your repply maglaurus !

I have seen quickly your blog about it, I think it is a nice beginning. And thank also to speak about your roleplaying experience with the Savage Worlds rules. I think increasingly that the Ravenloft conversion with the Savage Worlds rules is a good idea.

Thank you !
Nikolaï Von Zarovich
herkles
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by herkles »

There is the horror and fantasy companion that you may find useful. I love the savage worlds system, even though I prefer BRP/CoC for ravenloft. my only gripe is I don't like Power points, but that is a minor one, Hellfrost has a cool system that might be good to look at.