weird stuff when you type long posts

Post questions and suggestions here
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

weird stuff when you type long posts

Post by lostboy »

Another person mentioned this problem:
Am I alone with this problem : It seems that when my post reaches a certain length the "writing window" always scrolls back up and down for each letter I type and it is almost seizure inducing.
Happens to me all the time too, in fact since the board got upgraded, although Ive actually got used to it now and dont know what Id do without the seizures....

I use IE 8 BTW.
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Hmm... well, I tried reproducing the problem, but couldn't. I opened up the forum in IE8 and made an insanely long post, and it didn't happen.
I have IE8.0.6001.18702 for XP. What OS are you using? and what exact IE version? (Help->About to find it).

Also, which skin do you use for the forum? A few people have reported this issue online, and it seems it may be related to the skin used, believe it or not.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Yup Ive got IE8.0.6001.18702 for XP too.

Im using clanz darkness

*shrugs blankly*

It limits me to 15 lines of text before things go wonky in IE but no issues whatsoever in Firefox

Intrestingly (or probbaly not) same thing happens on my laptop which is running IE 8.0.7600.16385 on Windows 7

Maybe I'll just use firefox from now on then...
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

A while back I have gotten the message that "this post is too long" or something like that so I split it in 2 parts. I have tried it again the next day and was all ok. So maybe was just a glitch what happened to you lostboy, as happened to me.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

well, sure 'nuff, it's the skin. Or rather, it's the combination of the skin and IE8. Sadly, there is no newer version of the skin for phpbb2, only phpbb3 (and switching us to phpbb3 is not gonna happen anytime soon, if ever.) And I don't have the skillz to know what actually needs fixing in the skin.

So, your alternatives:
1) switch skins (I like myth2, and so does a plurarity of the users here)
2) switch browsers (I like google chrome, even better than firefox, but firefox is good too.)
3) suffer through it. (Sorry... not much else I can do.)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Hmm a suggestion is to post in a word document if you know it is going to be a long post. Then copy and paste ;) Think that may help, Ron?
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re:

Post by Ail »

tarlyn wrote:Hmm a suggestion is to post in a word document if you know it is going to be a long post. Then copy and paste ;) Think that may help, Ron?
This solution has the added benefit that sometimes it's very easy to actually go back from the page you're in and lose all your work (not exclusive to this forum, mind it) and if you have it in an extra window it saves you countless frustrations.

I've had that experience more often than I'd like to remember.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re:

Post by HuManBing »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote: 2) switch browsers (I like google chrome, even better than firefox, but firefox is good too.)
Seconded on the Chrome suggestion. I switched a few months back and I wouldn't use anything else nowadays.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Re:

Ail wrote:This solution has the added benefit that sometimes it's very easy to actually go back from the page you're in and lose all your work (not exclusive to this forum, mind it) and if you have it in an extra window it saves you countless frustrations.
Note that sometimes when this happens, you can hit the forward button and your work will still be there.

But yeah, a separate document is not a bad idea for super-long posts.

Also, while I apparently have selective amnesia for this whole thread, we are now on phpbb3, so maybe the problem is gone?