Signature Pictures...

Post questions and suggestions here
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Signature Pictures...

Post by Zilfer »

I had wondered why I saw a lack of Signatures and I was tinkering around in photoshop last evening. (took me an hour to relearn simple masking!)

Wanted to put it up on multiple sites I go to just for a 'change of scenery'.

Then decided well this form may not have the same minimum Pixel length like the Star wars board I Admin.

Ours is 600 x 300 Pixels so on a whim I go check the rules and see we aren't allowed any signature pictures?

I was curious is this because pictures in the past were too graphic? Or did they distract you from the content of the site? o.O'

Here's an example of what I wanted to put in my sig and did put in my sig until i saw the rule and immediately took it out so I wouldn't be banned, court marshaled or....

Fed to Drusilla. :Strahd:

There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Signature Pictures...

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

since the rule predates me, I'll let the others weigh in, but my off the cuff opinions:

1 ) it's one more thing for us to police. I'm sure most people won't put obscene or otherwise inappropriate stuff there, but why would we want to watch for it?
2 ) it takes up screen space, data bandwidth, and processing power. We live in a world where most of that comes cheap, but I for one would like to read the forums sometimes on my phone without blowing my monthly data budget, and without scrolling past the same giant picture over and over again.
3 ) what does it add? if you want a personalized avatar, we've allowed that in limited cases. I don't see the need.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

I see, so mostly admin convenience. I know all about that xD.

Though does it show up on phones? The signatures that is? I can’t imagine it’d take up too much space in a dataplan but if you have a limited amount I do see where it could be a problem. I myself check the from my phone. You might note that once it downloads a picture it should have it in RAM (Random Access Memory) which allows it to pull it without having to redownload the same picture. This is why going to a ‘website’ you’ve been to before or recently will always load faster than going to it the first time. This is for convenience. :D (Fun Fact)

I can understand the screen space thing too. It’s why we put a limit to our Singatures because always somewhere down the line someone would put in a ridiculously sized picture because they didn’t know how to edit it.

As for what it adds, it just adds a bit of personalization to a form, and identity. I can’t tell you the amount of times I’ve confused someone on here with the same avatar. I’ve gotten used to some people’s Avatar’s particularly yours, and Bings, that I don’t bother to read your Username any more.

Quite often on other sides I’ll frankly remember signatures more often than usernames or avatars.

:P Anyways I’ll drop the subject. I just kinda wanted to know… why?

I can officially say this is the first site I’ve ever seen that doesn’t allow pictures in their signatures. (most sites constrain the pixel x pixel size) but not flat out denying. xD Most of the time when they do have that it’s the members that enforce it and the admin doesn’t even lift a finger.

Alright better stop before my tangent ways are seen as complaints! Yikes! I hear Drusilla on the way!

HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Zilfer wrote:Though does it show up on phones? The signatures that is? subject. I just kinda wanted to know… why?

I can officially say this is the first site I’ve ever seen that doesn’t allow pictures in their signatures. (most sites constrain the pixel x pixel size) but not flat out denying. xD
I can answer the first part right now. The SIG pic you linked does display on my phone, but very poorly. I have to scroll a lot to see it in its entirety. It distorts the rest of the text box so that in some cases I have to scroll the screen back and forth to read text, in a way that I wouldn't if there were no wide image. The image itself is pretty, though, I envy your graphical skills!

As for other forums that don't allow signature pictures, in my experience that's actually been the norm. Wizards didn't allow them back when I visited, circa 2008 in the Late pre-Shadowfell era. Steve Jackson Games forums don't permit signature pictures or even in line graphics within the text of the posts. GameFAQS didn't permit them in the pre-HMB-banning-era either, circa 2010.

They may have changed since, but I never really made much use of signature graphics and if I did, it would have only been under the strictest ethical constraints of maximizing as much nudity and adult content as humanly possible for the delectation of my fellow scamps and riffraff.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Lol as always your posts are a pleasure to read Bing. Thank you for the compliment even though I have *Insert a feeling about being inadequate at any art what so ever and over judging anything they make and not having done it in over a year*

Yeah I was curious, I was going to use that sig and I was thinking about tonight trying an actual ‘Ravenloft’ Sig instead of my current ‘Dark Souls’ Sig that I just made.

Thought it’d be pretty close for the time being but I don’t want to make it if I can’t use it xD or people would prefer me not to. It’s understandable I know after awhile you just start scrolling past it or using it at a marker where the last place you read in a topic.

*aka your last post* xD

Funny thing about GameFAQs….

They had a board for SWkotor 2 and I in high school was browsing through and found a topic were people are talking about Jedi and Sith. Jedi were getting bashed on so I jumped into the topic with my quote ‘grey views’ which would later be translated to me being a ‘gray Jedi’ which would then go to ‘gay jedi’ as a misspelling XD. (all in good fun of course)

But the mods had a problem with us RPing stories on their board since it was a game board and that’s what gave birth to the RP site for Star Wars that I am one of the admin’s of today. We decided to all find a new place to RP.

Wow just had one of those moments where I realize that’s the closest I had gotten to DnD before 18. XD

But again thanks for the compliment. :D

Maybe I'll just do up a small avatar or something instead.... o.o'

Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I think it's often (always!) a pollution for the eyes when you look at a board that allows it.

Everybody tries to outdo the others with more colourful, more animated, etc. banners. It is distracting and useless IMHO.

We try to stick to content on this board! ;)

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Zilfer wrote:You might note that once it downloads a picture it should have it in RAM (Random Access Memory) which allows it to pull it without having to redownload the same picture. This is why going to a ‘website’ you’ve been to before or recently will always load faster than going to it the first time. This is for convenience. :D (Fun Fact)
Usually, but not always. I know my phone doesn't cache pictures indefinitely. I notice a site loading quickly for a while, and then if I go back to it a week later or something, there will be a lag as the pictures update. I blame the service providers. It's in their best interest to eat up as much of your data allotment as possible.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

That's because the 'Cache' gets cleared after awhile. The Memory on your phone can only hold so much in it before it gets overwritten by other data that you seem to be visiting more or are more interested at the time. :D