Boards go haywire on my mobile device

Post questions and suggestions here
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Boards go haywire on my mobile device

Post by HuManBing »

A short note to say that my mobile device can read the forums just fine, but making posts is very difficult. The cursor position jumps around unpredictably and starts typing in random places.

The view also arbitrarily jumps around and adjusts the zoom such that much if the text box is invisible.

If this goes on, I'll only be able to nudity the fraternity from my desktop like some Luddite 20th Century person.

Also that should have read "visit the fraternity" but I'll leave the autocorrect typo as is for humor value.

Technology can go molest a tractor. :irritsyefs:
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Boards go haywire on my mobile device

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

HuManBing wrote:A short note to say that my mobile device can read the forums just fine, but making posts is very difficult. The cursor position jumps around unpredictably and starts typing in random places.

The view also arbitrarily jumps around and adjusts the zoom such that much if the text box is invisible.

If this goes on, I'll only be able to nudity the fraternity from my desktop like some Luddite 20th Century person.

Also that should have read "visit the fraternity" but I'll leave the autocorrect typo as is for humor value.

Technology can go molest a tractor. :irritsyefs:
Test replying from my new Android phone. Works fine for me. Sorry HMB. Not sure how to debug without you sending me your phone.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Android phone over here too. I'm using Swype, which may be a confounding factor. The worst jumparounds usually occur when these are present:

1. Phone in horizontal mode. Because I like landscape view for reading text.
2. Lines of submitted text have enough carriage returns to push the text icon far down in the text entry field.
3. Any non-default level of zoom set for the text box.
4. Text box dimensions exceed any edge part of screen.
5. Improper donning of underwear, inside out. I've only observed this once but I was feeling weird all morning and when I put it right the forum problems magically cleared up. This could just have been coincidence so more testing is required.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I have an Android too, and possibility #5 doesn't work for me either.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ok.

Phone in landscape mode.

Zoomed in so the text box is off the screen.

Swype enabled.

Trying to type a nice long post

Blah blah

Stuff

Lots of stuff.
Now I'm at the bottom of the text box.

Yeah it jumped a bit.

Not sure I'd call it haywire, but I gurds it would be annoying.

I'll look into it but no promises.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

well, I found an app (2, actually) that can natively access the boards from android. But it requires installing some stuff on the server side, and I'm not gonna bother if no one will use it. Are you willing to download a $2 app to fix this issue? Or should I not bother...
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Hmmmmmm, I think that would be a thing to hold off until we know for sure that enough demand exists for it among FoS visitors. It's great that you looked into this, though - the forum is lucky to have a proactive tech admin!

I'm pretty sure this us an artifact if my phone, possibly to do with landscape view and Swype. Not to worry - it just means I'll spend less time on FoS when I should be doing work :)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

OK, well if I get, let's say... 3 people? who want the app support, I'll give it a try. Any less than that, and it would probably be silly to do so. (the app exists on iphone, too, though, in case anyone on that side of the fence has similar issues)

If anyone wants it, post here to say so.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

I wouldn't mind but i have a computer at work i use to visit the site, and I only visit this site about once a day because the activity here unfortunately is very low. I weep that I did not find this site when it was more active, of course i didn't play DnD then so. T.T
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf