Yay to an influx of new people

Post questions and suggestions here
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Yay to an influx of new people

Post by HuManBing »

^ What it says.

This is a good thing! And I'm surprised by how many new faces there are posting here these days. In the past week or so alone I've seen numerous threads with new posters.

My question is: what caused this? I can imagine that maybe the Wizards board merging had something to do with it, but then again maybe the FoS just fixed the banned email address problem?

Whatever it is, keep doing it!
Valacan de Brek
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Valacan de Brek »

Hello there! I'm excited to have my account activated.

I'm one of these new people. I was actually looking around and found out that edition 4 is out but I have never moved beyond edition 2 because I was upset that Ravenloft wasn't part of Edition 3. I went to Wikipedia and read up on Ravenloft and found out there is some sort of Ravenloft something that happened in edition 3 and then I found the link to here so I thought I'd join.

I'm not really sure what to do next though. I guess I'm pretty screwed since all I have is a bunch of second edition stuff. '

One big drawback is that I don't really want to buy all the new core books. I'd always thought the great thing about D&D (or AD&D as I call it) is that you can just modify it as you see fit. So for things I didn't like when I played with my friends we just exempted those rules. Mostly things like the permanent death rule and loss of constitution penalties for resurrection. Also the rules that you can only play one character at a time (because I could never get 4 friends together who wanted to play). Things like that. It's never really been about the core rules for me, it's been about the roleplaying and the atmosphere.

I heard the leveling up system changed for edition 3 but I don't really know what else changed. I always thought people levelled up so slowly and that battles took a lot longer then sections of plot development. Did that change? What I used to do is just have battles more sparingly but award experience for roleplaying in increments I found appropriate.

When I was little I used to actually play D&D with my dad. He would play four characters and I would play the DM. We would play for an hour a night after school.

After I moved out a friend of mine and I played, but she moved a little bit away and although we still have a game going (she has all my stuff at her house) she's always so busy that she's never "in the mood" to play when I come over.

I heard that there's some online component for edition 4. That'd probably work best since my friends all pooh-pooh the game when I suggest we play. It's too cerebral I think, they won't even play chess with me.

So I generally play video games instead. I make up for my gothic tastes by playing lots of survival horror (like Silent Hill) and my roleplaying by playing roleplaying and strategy games (like Mass Effect and Command & Conquer).

Anyway, anyone's help would be much appreciated on what I should do next to see about resurrecting some D&D in my life to some extent and what the highlights of this site are. Thanks!
Lord Soth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Soth »

I went to Wikipedia and read up on Ravenloft and found out there is some sort of Ravenloft something that happened in edition 3 and then I found the link to here so I thought I'd join.

Yep. Ravenloft got licensed out to Arthaus which put out a 3E Ravenloft line. WotC has since taken back that license, and while there're rumblings that they may put out a 4E Ravenloft, that won't occur any earlier than fall 2010.
I heard the leveling up system changed for edition 3 but I don't really know what else changed.

You can look over the 3rd edition rules here or here. If you like it then I suggest buying the PHB sooner rather then later, as they're not making any more of those. You can still get the 3.5 PHB from Amazon for $19.77.

And while 3E is no longer being supported by WotC, Paizo is supporing it by putting out their own version of the system called Pathfinder, and currently have an open playtest where you can dowload the rules for free. Go here for it (you need to register). It's a new edition, as well, but they're striving towards backwards compatibility.

And if you don't mind spending $20.77, you can get the 4E PHB from Amazon, too. I love the new edition, myself, but tastes differ. So take the opportunity to check it all out and see what it is that suits your tastes better.

But to sum up, a whole lot is different in the changeover between AD&D and 3E, and the same is true of the changeover between 3E and 4E. More then just the XP tables.
I heard that there's some online component for edition 4. That'd probably work best since my friends all pooh-pooh the game when I suggest we play.

WotC's coming out with a game table at some point over the next few months. You can also check out Fantasy Grounds which also has online game tables to play on (I'm currently weighing whether I want to pay for that or wait for the WotC one, as I'm planning on using that one no matter what).

Anyway, welcome to the Cafe de Nuit. Hope you enjoy your stay... for as long as you live. :twisted:
Man lives in the sunlit world
Of what he believes to be reality.
But, there is, unseen by most, an underworld,
A place that is just as real,
But not as brightly lit.....
A DARKSIDE.
Valacan de Brek
Conspirator
Conspirator

Thanks for your help Lord Soth.

I have a few more questions and clarifications. If there's a better thread to post this in please let me know.

So if I wanted to use this game table from WotC when it comes out I should/would have to:
  • -learn version 4
    -wait for WotC to finish making the thing
    -give up on Ravenloft :cry: (for now at least)
Would there be any benefit from also buying version 3 and learning it? Or to save money and time would it be wiser just to go directly from 2 to 4?

How do I find other people to play with since my friends won't? Will there be some sort of matching service?

Are there still campaign settings? I hope I'm not overrune with orcs and dragons . . . I much prefer ghouls, wraiths and vampires.
Lord Soth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Soth »

Well, like I said, you can use Fantasy Grounds. You'll have to pay for that, but IMO $24 isn't an onerous fee to pay. And with the 3.5 rules online, you won't have to spend a dime on the books for the rules. How you'd go about finding an online game, though, I don't know. Maybe ask around here or on the Fantasy Grounds boards?

As for the D&D Game Table, you can find out more about it here. And to answer your questions...

- Yep, you'd need to learn 4E to use it.
- Yep, can't use it til they finish it. ;)
- Yep, you'd have to give up on Ravenloft for the time being... but only if you're unwilling to try anything else, like the aformentioned Fantasy Grounds.
Would there be any benefit from also buying version 3 and learning it? Or to save money and time would it be wiser just to go directly from 2 to 4?

It really depends on the situation. If you want to play Ravenloft, regardless of the game system, then it's possible you'll find games using 3E rules and 4E rules. The latter because it's the new ruleset, and the former because it's the most recent ruleset available which has published Ravenloft rules for it. Hell, I've heard of people that're still playing with 2E rules. Fortunately for you, as I mentioned, the 3.5 rules are available online for free, so that should cover you in that regard.
How do I find other people to play with since my friends won't? Will there be some sort of matching service?

That's supposed to be one of the features of the D&D Game Table. From the above link:
You enter the D&D Game Table Lobby as either a player or a Dungeon Master (DM). You can then chat (text or voice) with other players in the Lobby, set up a game, or join another game. While in the Lobby, you can search for games of a specific level, by campaign setting, or by other criteria.

Hope that helps.
A DARKSIDE.
Valacan de Brek
Conspirator
Conspirator

Hmmmm well that's certainly interesting. I was glancing over the rules online. I see that you can play as a vampire half breed in version 3. That's certainly a plus. I might just look into that Fantasy Grounds more seriously then. Thanks for all the help.

It's co-incidental that I would get help from Lord Soth as I had actually worked the first introduction of my namesake and greatest villian, elven vampire Valacan de Brek into When Black Roses Bloom.
Lord Soth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Soth »

Hmmmm well that's certainly interesting. I was glancing over the rules online. I see that you can play as a vampire half breed in version 3. That's certainly a plus.

There're at least two versions. There's the Dhampir in Denizens of Dread, and the much weaker Half-Vampire from Libris Mortis. Note that both races are more powerful than standard races, and thus special rules apply.
I might just look into that Fantasy Grounds more seriously then. Thanks for all the help.

Not a problem.
It's co-incidental that I would get help from Lord Soth as I had actually worked the first introduction of my namesake and greatest villian, elven vampire Valacan de Brek into When Black Roses Bloom.

If I've learned anything from my time in the land of mists, it's that there are no coincidences... :soth:
A DARKSIDE.
Valacan de Brek
Conspirator
Conspirator

But to sum up, a whole lot is different in the changeover between AD&D and 3E, and the same is true of the changeover between 3E and 4E. More then just the XP tables.
Initiative is based on dexterity? There's no THAC0?! That's too bad, it was the best acronym ever created.

You weren't kidding that there were a lot of changes. Good lord!

Is there a list of deities anywhere? Say I was to create a cleric, how would I know what deity to pick? The Demi-plane of Dread tended to further complicate spell granting as well.
Lord Soth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Soth »

Ravenloft specific deities? In the Ravenloft Core Rulebook and Ravenloft Player's Handbook. Here're the gods.
  • Belenus (Neutral Good)
  • The Eternal Order (Neutral Evil)
  • Ezra (Lawful Neutral)
  • Hala (Neutral)
  • Kali (Chaotic Evil; The Rajian Pantheon)
  • The Lawgiver (Lawful Evil)
  • The Morninglord (Chaotic Good)
  • Osiris (Neutral Good; The Akiri Pantheon)
  • Ra (Lawful Good; The Akiri Pantheon)
  • Set (Lawful Evil; The Akiri Pantheon)
  • Tvashtri (Chaotic Good; The Rajian Pantheon)
  • The Wolf God (Chaotic Evil)
  • Zhakata (Lawful Evil)
A DARKSIDE.
Valacan de Brek
Conspirator
Conspirator

Ah, so I'll have to pick up those books as well. This always happens that the price starts going up and up.

I'll have to demand a raise at work under threat of the wrath of the dark powers.
Lord Soth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Soth »

Pretty much the entire 3E Ravenloft line is out of print, so your only real choices, there, are either to get them on eBay or buy PDF copies of them (You can get those from DriveThruRPG).
A DARKSIDE.
Paladyn
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Paladyn »

Alternatively, you can search Bay, as I do. I'm trying to male my collection complete, but some books seem to avoid me.

Anyway, I'd rather say, that D&D 3E is in 90% different from AD&D. In some cases It's better, in some completely different (my players still struggle with AD&D resentments :) ) and in very few points weaker than previous one.

Glad to see a new soul in the Mists.
I love shorcuts!:
"IMHO a SH HH should be a better RL DL"
- Kargatane mailing list member
------
My campaign's journal: [url]http://forgotten-epic.blogspot.com[/url]
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Valacan de Brek wrote: There's no THAC0?! That's too bad, it was the best acronym ever created.
:lol: I'd liked that acronym too. But the attack mechanic, itself, is much more straightforward in 3E.

You weren't kidding that there were a lot of changes. Good lord!
No kidding. The transition from 1E to 2E was largely cosmetic, IME, but the jump to 3E was as major as the one between OD&D and AD&D.

It certainly takes some getting used to. But in many respects, it's a more intuitive game than 2E. You can play 3E without any tables, if you know the system.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:No kidding. The transition from 1E to 2E was largely cosmetic, IME, but the jump to 3E was as major as the one between OD&D and AD&D.

It certainly takes some getting used to. But in many respects, it's a more intuitive game than 2E. You can play 3E without any tables, if you know the system.
That's what I love about 3e. You can wing it so much more easily than in other editions. All I need is a concept, a few numbers, and I've got myself a monster. It's quick, it's dirty, and it takes some juggling to pull it off (a skill I never fully mastered). But some of the most memorable monsters I created were spur-of-the-moment types.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Valacan de Brek
Conspirator
Conspirator

Hmmm major changes are good at bad. Means lots of learning! But it'll be worth it in the long run I suppose. I'll keep plugging away at it.