Banned mail

Post questions and suggestions here
lawerta
Conspirator
Conspirator

Banned mail

Post by lawerta »

When I have wrote my usual mail in register form there was a warning that this mail is banned. Why? Maybe, this is because I've send a letter before I get the site login? And you've think that it was spam...
Joël of the FoS

Re: Banned mail

Post by Joël of the FoS »

lawerta wrote:When I have wrote my usual mail in register form there was a warning that this mail is banned. Why? Maybe, this is because I've send a letter before I get the site login? And you've think that it was spam...
Err... I don't know what exactly you are talking about, since you are registered.

And yes, for your info, we do ban IPs of spammers, so they do not come back from the same IP.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
lawerta
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by lawerta »

Now I use the corporate e-mail that is not very comfortable. Because all forums notifications it sends to the trash box as a spam... Well, if I cannot use my poor banned mail, I'll try to work with this one.
Dhampire
Conspirator
Conspirator
Location: Grand Mausoleum in the Balinok Mountains of Barovia

Post by Dhampire »

I have to admit that I just had this very problem.

2 email addresses were denied because they showed as being banned. The third address proved valid so I know it is not my IP but, rather, something to do with the addresses. Since they are both fairly new I cannot say why they would have been on a ban list keeping in mind, this is the first time I registered for this site.

If it means anything my first attempt was using a gmail address, the second was my primary aol. The yahoo worked and approved.
Nothing convinces like proof.
Kel-nage
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Kel-nage »

It appears the Fraternity are probably banning all Gmail and Aol accounts. This is most likely because "spam bots" have been registering to this site with those e-mail address domain names.

However, I agree, it is a bit unfortunate that the Fraternity have to ban those commonly used e-mail domains. Honestly, they need to find a better way to keep spam-bots out.

Oh, and for the record, most spam bots (in my experience) are based on IP addresses that are dynamically assigned (i.e. they change regularly). So it is possible that banning an IP will adversely affect other, real users.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

My work email would not even let me receive emails from here or other sites i play on, so I use my home email account(videotron here) Might I suggest just using a hotmail email account? That works just fine :)
Algaris
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Algaris »

I've just had the same problem. I'm trying to change my email address, as my old one doesn't exist anymore. Every time I try to change it to my new domain I keep getting an error message saying this email address is banned.

The email address I'm trying to use is: stuff at qberry dot co dot uk. If anyone could shed some light on this so I can use my email address, I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Just a heads up to the mods to try to get this fixed if they can.

There's a thread just started at Wizards.com of people lamenting the fact that they can't get onto Fraternity of Shadows.

When they start going to the official site to complain about how they can't access an unofficial site, that's some high praise! :)

But seriously is there any solution we know of?

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=922880
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

HuManBing wrote:There's a thread just started at Wizards.com of people lamenting the fact that they can't get onto Fraternity of Shadows.
Thanks for the heads-up, but Joel (Gotten) already saw and responded to the post. He notified our Infernal Administrator as well, although we'll have to wait and see if we can figure out the cause of this problem. Hopefully, there'll be an answer sooner versus later.

HuManBing wrote:When they start going to the official site to complain about how they can't access an unofficial site, that's some high praise!
8)
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

FWIW, when the guys voted me in as a moderator, I had to open a new hotmail account myself in order to use the site's links to send and receive e-mails. It hadn't synched fully with my previous e-mail account either, although it had let me register. :roll:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Dimitri Mazieres
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dimitri Mazieres »

I tried to change my email address to another that I use more frequently at Gmail, and I got a message saying that it had been banned. :?

Are all Gmail accounts banned in advance?
[i]"Many point out that this battle against the darkness is an impossible one, and they may well be right. Impossible or not, however, the battle for righteousness is one that only a few heroes are brave enough to undertake"[/i]
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

I'm trying to get a player into the game, and he's having the same problem. So it appears to still be ongoing.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

I know I had that problem. Eventually I just used my ancient Comcast e-mail.
Yattara
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Yattara »

That's odd, about the Gmail-accounts, since I can still use mine. Just used it today for a new password (been too long since I visited here ;)).

*fingers crossed this'll keep.*
Have to fight, cause I know
in the end it's worthwhile,
that the pain that I feel slowly fades away.
It will be alright

Pale, Within Temptation
Marcon
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Marcon »

Looks like poutrem (at) videotron (dot) ca is banned as well.

-Marcon