Post questions and suggestions here
Frukathka
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Frukathka »

I have tried to upload my avatar. I don't know what the deal is, but everytime I log onto these boards an reply, I just see a blank box with an 'X' through it. My avatar is of a cat and is in .jpg format. I use the same avatar on many other internet boards, and it shows up just fine It is definetly small enough and is only 1.49 Kb. Anyone have any ideas why it is not showing up?
"I am Frukathka, emissary of the Rakastan pantheon and defender of the Rakastan people and felines everywhere."
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

I noticed this and meant to comment about it as well, but never got around to it. Could it be that the image has to be a certain height and width in pixels?
Forgotten Son of Lord Vasili
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

The Frat stated around startup that avatars would be disabled. Whether that policy will ever change, I can't say.
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

Ah, that probably was a good idea.
Forgotten Son of Lord Vasili
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Currently avatars are disabled, but in the future you never know what might happen. For the moment though, only the Infernal Admin has an avatar (though thankfully not of himself, he is far to terrifying to be allowed an actual picture of himself on display).
Swallow your soul!
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

So any change in the policy?

Why were avatars disabled in the first place? To prevent inappropriate avatars or to cut down on load times?
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Tadelin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tadelin »

If they were done to cut down on load time, everyone putting an avatar in their signature doesn't help things any. ;)
One of these days, I'm going to get it right. Until then, I guess I can just keep being a fool.
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Well thats part of the reason I'm wondering why the policy is still in effect. People seem to have just found a way around it.
Frukathka
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Frukathka »

Tadelin wrote:If they were done to cut down on load time, everyone putting an avatar in their signature doesn't help things any. ;)
At least I'm not part of the problem.
"I am Frukathka, emissary of the Rakastan pantheon and defender of the Rakastan people and felines everywhere."
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Coan wrote:Why were avatars disabled in the first place? To prevent inappropriate avatars or to cut down on load times?
The disabling of avatars was more for the latter reason. Loading times are increased by having pictures included with everyone's posts. We were hoping to cut down on loading delays and post lengths by removing the avatars. However, as Tadelin already pointed out, some members have circumvented this by adding pictures to their signatures.
Coan wrote:So any change in the policy?
This is something that we, the Fraternity members, have been discussing...
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Xanthippe
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Xanthippe »

If it's up for a vote, count me in as pro-avatar, if only to get rid of those space-wasting, absolutely annoying sig pics.
[size=84]"Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain." -Friedrich Schiller[/size]
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Ouch. I prefer to think of it as the people with small sig pics paved the way for an avatar revolution.

Plus I needed my sig pic to quickly identify my posts on the rp boards so I wouldn't miss anything posted (which had happened a few times if I hadn't been online for a while).
Xanthippe
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Xanthippe »

And, Coan, sorry to have offended you. Not my intention. :( Besides, you haven't had a sig-pic up for a few weeks, right?

Seems like the whole issue has been addressed in the General Forum, though. Yay! :D
[size=84]"Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain." -Friedrich Schiller[/size]
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

A little harsh, Xanthippe, but we are sympathetic to those of you who have been having problems due to the signature pictures. Our hope is to correct these troubles by adding small avatars, which will appear on the side versus under the posts. This should help with not only loading times but also the general look of the board.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]