RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away CHAPTER SEVEN

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away CHAPTER SEVEN

Post by ewancummins »

THE SECOND RENDEZVOUS

The party--or most of it-- regroups at Odall's later in the evening.

The café remains open for business, even as sundown draws near, but no costumers sit inside other than the investigators.

Odall putters about the kitchen, occasionally entering the front area to check in on his guests.

Benn and the others have only just sat down to join Sara, Kat, and Raen.

Raen has regained consciousness with the aid of apothecary's vapors and a touch of mystic healing, but the wizard looks like something tried eating him and just didn't finish-- bloody bandages and pink, raw skin. Soot stains his shirt where the blood does not.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away CHAPTER SEVEN

Post by ewancummins »

ELSEWHERE IN THE CITY

''Please, no...''

The Beast growls as it draws nearer the huddled, weeping figure on the cold stones...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat looks up and Benn and the others as they arrive.

"Well that was a disaster. But we found out a few things..."

She relates the events of the day in some detail, including a detailed description of the ash wolf thing.

"It seems that is the source of the trouble, or a source anyway. I suppose there may be more than one. Good news: its very tough and very dangerous but it can be beaten. Bad news, it can run through walls when worried, which will make it a real bastard to catch. Further bad news: your old enemy is watching us very closely, and knows almost everything we do. Can anyone do anything about that?"
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Sara nods and adds:

"More bad news, someone paid thugs to come after us. Meaning we have gotten close to something or to someone, we just need to find out who or what. I doubt that is just Maytr behind all this."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict shakes his head and sighs. "With Matyr, it's never simple."

He stands and sees to Raen's wounds, channeling magical healing to restore his injuries.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen, quite gloomy and silent allows the magical energy to get through him "Oh, thank you." As a moment passes and his wounds somewhat knead, Raen looks around.
"So... what do we do now?"
He seems unaware of the fire.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"We have a rendezvous with Matyr to attend," Bennedict says, "I suggest we get to that. If we can take him down, maybe he can explain some of what we have witnessed."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Where is the rendezvou? We need to be ready for everything."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

"I agree with Sara on that " with that he passes her a bag* "these may come in handy as they are cold iron rounds for your gun, I could not make that many in a day so make them count ." Turning to the others"So this wolf could pass through walls at will, then for purposes of spell use the best bet would be to prepare force type spells for use against it if you have access to them . I mainly have have offesive spells at my diposal, but they are mostly of the single target type, though can be extremely potent against all manner of creature . I have smattering of divination spells as well, but only of the minor use variety ."

* 11 Cold Iron Rounds
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

ODALL enters from the kitchen.
The pot-bellied man ambles over to the party's table with a plate that holds their food and drink.

He looks about, taking in the empty stools and bare tables of the rest of the dining room.
"I don't s'pose anybody else will be joining y'all?"
The big man sets down the party's drink and meat.

He smiles at Sara and Kat. Mumbles, ''Ladies."

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"The copy of Dorgio's book at the Grim Bastion makes me think that's where we're supposed to meet him," Bennedict says.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen nods. "Give me a good night's sleep to patch up somewhat and recover and I'll be joining you."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

Dorgio inclines his head in agreement. "The Grim Bastion seems like the place." He frowns. "This ash wolf...I had assumed that the rain of ashes was a harbinger of Matyr's coming at first, but it seems like something else altogether? Friend? Foe? Perhaps Maytr is being stalked by this thing, perhaps it is hunting him just as Matyr hunts his victims?"

A pause, then he looks at Benn. "Have we spoken to Dennys Sancerre? Surely he would be interested to know what's going on." To the rest of them, he says, "Sancerre was an old employer of ours. Matyr slew his daughter."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Odall, still standing at the table
VIEW CONTENT:
(no one answered his question before Dorgio cut in),
says,
''Grim Bastion? It's that big ol' fortress in ruins, yeah? "
He turns a little to the left, looks up past the table and the party.
"Well! That's peculiar!"

Out the window, ash rains from the sky.
Black clouds kill the ruddy sunlight of late evening, bringing early nightfall over the street.
The clouds appear to be fed by numerous murky plumes and funnels that spout up from street level--easy to miss in the gloom, or would be, if there weren't so many of these.

BOOM!

The dull, deep thud sounds from somewhere outside , not far.
A quick look through the windows on the side of the noise shows the boarding house across the way in flames.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

At the sound of the explosion, Raen, wounded and bandaged jumped to his legs. With determination, he fell into spellcasting. A blue energy surrounded him momentarily, clinging on his torso, upper arms and legs and then dissipating.
"I am not caught without any kind of protection again... " Raen explains. "Shall we ladies and gentlemen?" Then he headed toward the door.
My DMGuild work!