interest thread

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

interest thread

Post by ewancummins »

Because I am taking a break from Ravenloft, I may also shift to another forum for a time.
But I do plan to run another game after the current (and final in its continuity) Ravenloft game finishes.
If you are one of my usual players, or want to join in the future, consider responding.
It works like this: list the campaigns below in the order that they interest you, from 1: most interested, down to 6: not interested/least interested.

This isn't binding, but it will let me know which ones to work on.

Ravenloft's not over yet, so we have plenty of time.

Crabclaw
Sailing from Povero, the party makes harbor in the Crabclaw Peninsula, a region ripe with opportunities—and awash in dangers.
Sequel to Povero/Matchmakers. Low-level fantasy adventures in a homebrew /module mashup setting.
System: AD&D 2E

Exile Suns
Earth is lost to the Imperial enemy. But though much has been taken, much remains. The far stars of the rimward sectors await bold travellers, promising mystery, profit, and hope for a better future.
Sci-fi exploration, action, and intrigue on the colonial frontier of the Solomani Confederation.
System: Traveller (Classic version)

The Legion of Gold
An army of golden killers threatens the small Barony of Horn. Can you stop them? Can anyone?
Mutants, blasters, and swords. Science-fantasy adventure in the Gamma World
System: Gamma World

Fiery the Angels Rose
Los Angeles, 1928. A city with lots of problems investigators like you might get mixed up in: a starlet in peril, masked vigilantes, arsonists, bootleggers, and stranger things…
Sleuths and tough guys in a Lovecraftian Los Angeles
System: Call of Cthulhu

The Elvish Job
It’s a mad plot, hatched by a half-human arch-wizard and a greedy genie-lord. Burgle the Manslayer’s citadel? Downright suicidal… But if it actually works, you’ll all come out filthy rich and the people of Anuire will be singing about your caper for centuries.
Extreme dangers lurk in the Twisted Tower
Sequel to BR games, lighter on domain stuff, heavier on dungeon stuff. Expect fatalities.
System: AD&D 2E (Birthright rules and setting used)

Night City Vice
When you were a kid futurists talked about wireless communications and digital technology the way the ancient guys in the mid-twentieth went on about flying cars and airbrushed chrome cities and vitamin pills. But nobody predicted the Brazilians creating organic circuity. That the new tech was soon put to use in old, sleazy ways was less surprising. On Night City’s Vice Squad, you deal with the traditional rackets: gambling, dope, girls and boys for rent. But telling a human hooker from a sex-bot isn’t always easy, and the lines between right and wrong, cops and crooks, have blurred just as much as the barrier between humans and machines.

Note: I probably can’t run this one here. It's not only not Ravenloft or even D&D, it runs afoul of the grandma rule.
Alt-future 2020, point of divergence back in the 80s.
System: Cyberpunk 2020, with modifications
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Re: interest thread

Post by kintire »

I'm sorry to hear this continuity is ending. I hope you'll keep the door open at least a crack :)

That said:

1. The Elven Job

2. Crabclaw

3. Legion of Gold

4. Night City Vice

5. Angel's Rose

6. Exile Suns
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Something with Domenica.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Elvish job

Crabclaw

Fiery the Angels Rose

The Legion of Gold

Exile Sun

Night City Vice
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Crabclaw
Elfish job
Fiery the Angels Rose
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

1-6. Night City Vice

ace noun (PLAYING CARD)

one of the four playing cards with a single mark or spot. The ace has the highest or lowest value in many card games

James "Ace" McCafferty is a man who, during six days of the week, has his pockets just about empty of mucks. Yet on his "off"-day, he finds reason enough to keep on trucking through Night City's street trash and the endless reports whose ultimate destination he knows is his supervisor's recycle bin. If he's in a talkative mood, he'll tell you his reason. Whether or not he believes it is a whole other matter. Even then, that's assuming he respects you enough to even look you in the eyes. And to get that then you better be ready to put on your spitwaders and be hands on when it comes to the Job, cos he's likes to double-down with his personal lex talonis...
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

:D Ace= fun.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

ewancummins wrote::D Ace= fun.
Yeah, some time ago I read the book "Becoming Batman" (Dr. E. Paul Zehr) whose conclusion was, in a nutshell, that becoming a real Batman was realistic (under very unique circumstances), yet due to the ravages of such a violently-obsessive lifestyle would lead to burnout after a few years, decade at most (if I remember right).

Combine that with the Degenesis: Sacrifice Everything trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tw3KaMr8wk), specifically the scene with the Spitalian chemically prepping for war, and you have a superficial skin on what I'd like to give to Ace.

With a dash of Travis Bickle. ;)

He's a humanist who values what he believes was the once purity of the human spirit, but who's also a misanthrope because of majority social values. He hates the vast majority of the people of today, but believes wholly in the people of tomorrow. And he's a straight-up hypocrite: his body just can't seem to keep up with his mind, so he secretly uses various drugs to both be able to continue his war for tomorrow and to get that edge he needs to impose his two cents on these neo-humans, or, "neos", as he calls them.

Yeah, I'm hoping the interest is there for Night City Vice. I've been eyeballing Cyberpunk 2020 for years now, just had nobody to sit at the table...
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Five wrote:
ewancummins wrote::D Ace= fun.
Yeah, some time ago I read the book "Becoming Batman" (Dr. E. Paul Zehr) whose conclusion was, in a nutshell, that becoming a real Batman was realistic (under very unique circumstances), yet due to the ravages of such a violently-obsessive lifestyle would lead to burnout after a few years, decade at most (if I remember right).

Combine that with the Degenesis: Sacrifice Everything trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tw3KaMr8wk), specifically the scene with the Spitalian chemically prepping for war, and you have a superficial skin on what I'd like to give to Ace.

With a dash of Travis Bickle. ;)

He's a humanist who values what he believes was the once purity of the human spirit, but who's also a misanthrope because of majority social values. He hates the vast majority of the people of today, but believes wholly in the people of tomorrow. And he's a straight-up hypocrite: his body just can't seem to keep up with his mind, so he secretly uses various drugs to both be able to continue his war for tomorrow and to get that edge he needs to impose his two cents on these neo-humans, or, "neos", as he calls them.

Yeah, I'm hoping the interest is there for Night City Vice. I've been eyeballing Cyberpunk 2020 for years now, just had nobody to sit at the table...

Degenesis looks cool.

Cyberpunk 2020 is loads of fun. We played a good chunk of it, back in the '90s.

The last installment of my long-running Ravenloft game is still going on, so there's no rush.

Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

I figured there's no rush.

It's just that you've managed to reanimate some unused Shadowrun alt campaign and character ideas is all. I couldn't sell the group on playing out a Lone Star/Special Investigation campaign back in the day and the stuff has been floating in headspace ever since. We never knew about Cyberpunk then, but we definitely would've broke that out. Shadowrun was a blast and a great game but the metahuman/fantasy aspect really kept us from staying in the shadows. Cyberpunk comes off as the more Bladerunner, or, "cyber noir" of the two as far as I'm concerned.

Either way, thanks for the revisit. :)

Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

ewancummins wrote:
Degenesis looks cool.
Yeah, it does. But it's in my list of euroRPGs to play so I can't say much beyond that.

I bought Symbaroum in a gamestore while I was on the road and the bloody thing cost me about $80 Cdn. I sucked it up and gave in, figuring it was just one of those sleezy markups "justified" by a single copy but then I eyeballed Fragged Empire (and recently its new FE: Expanded Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wa ... escription for those who may be interested) and Degenesis Rebirth and realised that there's a common theme here. But not until I backed LexOccultum, and was browsing other Kickstarter RPGs did I see that shipping from Europe to Canada is, or seems to be, standard postal rape. So I said muck it, sorry boys but it's pdfs from here on in, whose price is more like standard pdfs: still high as to what it actually is as a product in comparison to hardcopy, but cest la vie, non?

Long words short, I got to reading the fluff of Degenesis Rebirth but have yet to get into its grease. Ditto Fragged Empire. All seem to be pushing grade A art (different; very clean anyway, with the exception of Symbaroum, whose murky style suits the fluff perfectly, imo), but beyond that....?

Big sticks, but no clue about the carrot.