RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away CHAPTER SIX

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away CHAPTER SIX

Post by ewancummins »

kintire wrote:After the appropriate efforts to lower the price, she buys the dagger with a wince. Poverty beckons, but the situation is serious.

For reasons completely unconnected with her ability to afford the dagger she does not want to meet the guard Captain, but will wander near the Lorelei in case she is needed... keeping an eye out for people following her, especially redheads...
KAT ON THE STREET

Her efforts to haggle proved ineffective.
After she paid up, the smith shared some free and unsolicited advice:

''If you are thinking this blade will be proof against the changing kind, it will. But not against all of them. Some have different weaknesses. Good luck.''

Later, on the afternoon streets around the Lorelei, she watches the thin crowd of pedestrians, a handful of riders, the odd passing wagon.
No ash falls from above here, but traces of black soot mark the walls and roofs of buildings.

As minutes pass, the traffic dies out, leaving the streets eerily empty for so early in the afternoon.
The hazy late summer skies darken.
Fat rain drops descend, a little shower at first, then a downpour.
Water pools in a pothole in front of Kat.
Black water.

Only one stranger remains in Kat's sight, a ragged old man standing in the mouth of a covered alley across the street.
The old man beckons to her.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict offers the woman a description of Jonathon Matyr and asks if anyone matching that description had been seen nearby recently.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat stares cooly at the old man, and glances around for any of her friends in sight. Then she returns her attention to the old man, and beckons HIM.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE LORELEI
Adam wrote:Bennedict offers the woman a description of Jonathon Matyr and asks if anyone matching that description had been seen nearby recently.
Sophie mulls it a moment and then says,
"Red hair and young? No, I don't think so. Only of the female variety."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

KAT
kintire wrote:Kat stares cooly at the old man, and glances around for any of her friends in sight. Then she returns her attention to the old man, and beckons HIM.

The Old Man flips up a tattered hood and starts out into the street.
He pauses a few feet out, turns back to the alley...
A dog sticks its head out. Another.
The Old Man jaunts over to Kat, seven lean, feral-looking dogs trailing him.

When he reaches her, he ducks under the same awning she's taken shelter beneath.
His dogs scurry into nearby dry spots: beneath a parked wagon, into another alley, and into an overturned barrel.

The wiry man bares his teeth in a grin, then scratches his dirty beard.
"Got any meat?"
Kat can smell wet dog on the man, along with some earthy, subtle odors. He doesn't really stink. It's more like sniffing an animal's den.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

ALLEY
kintire wrote:Kat stares cooly at the old man, and glances around for any of her friends in sight. Then she returns her attention to the old man, and beckons HIM.
Raen is nearby, waiting outside the alley. He seems more calm than before but still troubled from the events. He didn't pay attention to an old man and his dogs. If Katherine seems to be in danger he assumes she will call.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Sara spots the old man and his dogs coming towards Kat and she goes besides her saying nothing just staring at the man.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Sara spots the old man and his dogs coming towards Kat and she goes besides her saying nothing just staring at the man.

''What about you, woman? Meat?"
The Old Man licks his lips.
"We're hungry. And you two smell like killers."

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

ewancummins wrote:THE LORELEI
Adam wrote:Bennedict offers the woman a description of Jonathon Matyr and asks if anyone matching that description had been seen nearby recently.
"Very well, Fraulein," he reaches in a coat pocket and offers her a business card. "If you remember anything else, or if you have need for my assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact."

He waits for her to depart and turns back to the Captain. "Your men have delivered a note from, we presume, the murderer. He appears to desire a meeting in person. I have a group of associates willing to go with me, since the author insisted it be done without the presence of the Gendarmes. However, your man asked that I keep you informed, so I am doing so."

He raises his eyebrows, waiting for the man to comment if he so desires.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat raises an eyebrow.

"I don't know where you got that idea. I'm just a simple barmaid."

She delivers this deadpan, despite the rapier and dagger at her hip.

"I don't have enough meat to please seven dogs. But may be we could get some if you knew anything about the recent killing. Or about a young man with my colour hair, who might smell a bit like a weasel..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

KAT AND THE OLD MAN
kintire wrote:Kat raises an eyebrow.

"I don't know where you got that idea. I'm just a simple barmaid."

She delivers this deadpan, despite the rapier and dagger at her hip.

"I don't have enough meat to please seven dogs. But may be we could get some if you knew anything about the recent killing. Or about a young man with my colour hair, who might smell a bit like a weasel..."
''I know about the killing. My friends sniffed it out. But the green-men wouldn't let us stay near, so I saw only a little. A woman, cut up. Hmmm..."
He wrinkles his nose.
"I didn't smell any weasels. It smelled sweet. Like the scent some women wear. Strong, strong like a bottle of the stuff dumped over. That covered the blood-trace for me, but not for my friends."
He eyes the sword at Kat's hip.
"Rough bar, the one where you wait tables?"

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

BENN

Adam wrote:
ewancummins wrote:THE LORELEI
"Very well, Fraulein," he reaches in a coat pocket and offers her a business card. "If you remember anything else, or if you have need for my assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact."

He waits for her to depart and turns back to the Captain. "Your men have delivered a note from, we presume, the murderer. He appears to desire a meeting in person. I have a group of associates willing to go with me, since the author insisted it be done without the presence of the Gendarmes. However, your man asked that I keep you informed, so I am doing so."

He raises his eyebrows, waiting for the man to comment if he so desires.

THIBAULT says,
"If I hadn't worked with you before, I'd just use your party as bait for this madman. But considering your past performance as an investigator, and the sorts of special cases you handle, and what your theory about the killer...
I'm inclined to do it the way you choose. I can send a detachment with you, close behind at least, or I can keep my men entirely out of this proposed rendezvous. Do you think you can capture the killer alone? Will he have eyes and ears to spot a large group of gendarmes? I'll respect your choice of tactics."

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat grins

"It has its moments. You think your friends could follow a killer? Maybe find him?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

kintire wrote:Kat grins

"It has its moments. You think your friends could follow a killer? Maybe find him?"
''Maybe. But this one is crazy. Why should we take risks?''

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

"There's a generous man hunting him. Herr Gehrman. Know him? He'll keep you in meat for a while if you help us. Or you can suggest something else..."

She watches the old man but stays aware of her surroundings as well