The Mistlands Tourist Guide: Recruitment and prelude

Online roleplaying at the Café
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

This game is for those who want atypical domains. In other words, domains where changes have been made or obscure or made up by me or the netbooks. You aren't going to places like Bavoria or Darkon but one you know little or nothing about.

You would travel as employees of said guide trying to get info on the various domains. The more complete the better you get paid. Sounds safe? Remember most of the various darklords are none too stable and none too pleased with people poking around and maybe figuring out their secrets and the guide pays best for identifying hazards. You would be going to domains in which I either changed or made up myself or one of the made up domains of the netbooks. I am most interested in trying out obscure or nonstandard domains. You aren't going to spend much time in places like Darkon or Bavoria but domains I made up or domains that have had some major changes or found only in the various netbooks like Quoth and the like. You would be level 3 using 3.5 rules I have most of the books and if there is a class or prestige class (when you are high enough level) in Quoth that you like I will almost certainly accept that. You have a 32 point build and 2,400 GP which is slightly less than normal which is why you are working at this job, it is risky but pays well and you need the cash. Game is roleplay heavy with both social skills and knowledge skills at a premium.

House rules:
Vampires are immune to sunlight
Paladins can only be detected by darklords if they are actually looking for them and are limited to a mile a level
Domains are for the most part much larger than standard
Unless prejudice is one of the defining characteristics of a domain OR penalties for races do not apply. This is going to be the vast majority of the time, it might well never apply.
There is a treatment center in Dementieu for the treatment of lycanthropy. It doesn't cure it but it does allow you to control your actions after you change. It is a kind of aversion therapy which is both painful and expensive (500 GP a week) and you gain a moderate madness effect.
Most darklords are "villians with good publicity" and thus hard to spot. This includes the normal darklords you are more likely to hear of than enter their domain such as Strahd. He isn't known as the "Devil Strahd" but a fairly typical feudal lord
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

You enter the Mistlands Tourist Guide building in Mordentshire as you have heard they are always hiring explorers. The entrance is ornate and gilded. The lobby has some decent paintings and some good furniture. The receptionist guides you inside further into the building where the interview is conducted. Here it is much plainer. Inside you see a number of workers using printing presses. You go into a nice office where there is a gnome waiting for you. He says "If you are interested we are always hiring explorers and we pay well. The minimum we would pay is 50 GP for a small article on easy to find out information. We pay really well for legends and places is to avoid and whatever dangerous critters live there. That can pay thousands. It would have to be pretty detailed for us to pay that much of course. It is risky work however. We have lost more than one person who wasn't careful enough. However if you are clever and tough you can make quite a bit."
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Mistlands Tourist Guide: Recruitment and prelude

Post by Mistmaster »

Count me in; There are class limitations?
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Mistlands Tourist Guide: Recruitment and prelude

Post by brilliantlight »

Mistmaster wrote:Count me in; There are class limitations?
Not that I can think of. There might be a weird class out there I can't think of at the moment but almost all will be acceptable.