RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away: Chapter 1 IC

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away: Chapter 1 IC

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:The nice warm buzz from the glass of wine spreading in Bennedict's head vanishes in an instant as the knock at the door comes. Out of instinct, he peers at the closet where his crossbow is stored before chiding himself. Probably just the gendarmes with another case, he thinks.

He stands, wiping his mouth with a napkin. "If you'll excuse me, I'll be right back," he says. He nods to Hornsby and walks towards the entry.

THE FRONT DOOR AND HALLWAY

BENN finds two men in green gendarme's cloaks standing on his doorstep. Swords hang at their hips.
He recognizes one, a gray-haired, portly fellow, as a guard he dealt with a year ago on a missing persons case.
If he concentrates
VIEW CONTENT:
INT or Knowledge Local check, DC 8
he can recall the man's name:
VIEW CONTENT:
Hubert.
The familiar-looking man says,
"Excuse me, Monsieur Gehrman, but there's been a killing in a riverfront boarding house. And, well, I think you will want to see her body for yourself."
He coughs.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:
He stands, wiping his mouth with a napkin. "If you'll excuse me, I'll be right back," he says. He nods to Hornsby and walks towards the entry.

DINING ROOM

Charlotte smiles at Benn as he leaves the room, and then turns her attention back to her guests.

In an awkward tone, she says"I hope everyone is having a good time." She smiles again and then returns to eating her roast chicken and fried potatoes, taking dainty bites with exaggerated formality.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"I have guests here," Bennedict says, "Could you let me know what is going on? Perhaps you could contact one of the other detectives from my agency."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

BENN
Adam wrote:"I have guests here," Bennedict says, "Could you let me know what is going on? Perhaps you could contact one of the other detectives from my agency."

''Monsieur..."
The man coughs again.
"I came for you because I read the book your friend made. You see, the woman we found, she's been tortured, cut up bad. But not her face. That's perfect. And before he left, he combed out her hair and arranged it, pretty as you please."

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

A chill instantly spreads through Bennedict's body, and he turns around with a brusque "Wait here."

He comes back to the party, stepping next to Dorgio and whispering into his ear. "There's been a murder," he says, "It fits with Maytr's MO."

He stands up and faces Charlotte, already seeing the look of disappointment on her face. "I'm afraid there's been an emergency that must call Dorgio and I away briefly," he says, "I would take it as a kindness if the rest of you would stay here and finish your meals. We will return as soon as we can."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:A chill instantly spreads through Bennedict's body, and he turns around with a brusque "Wait here."

He comes back to the party, stepping next to Dorgio and whispering into his ear. "There's been a murder," he says, "It fits with Maytr's MO."

He stands up and faces Charlotte, already seeing the look of disappointment on her face. "I'm afraid there's been an emergency that must call Dorgio and I away briefly," he says, "I would take it as a kindness if the rest of you would stay here and finish your meals. We will return as soon as we can."

THE DINING ROOM

''I.."
Charlotte sets her fork down.
"An emergency? Of course we'll wait."

As he makes ready to leave,
"Please be careful, Benn."

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

He crosses the room, embracing her in a very uncharacteristic show of emotion. As he holds her close, he whispers "I can't be sure until I'm there, but it could be HIM. It could be Maytr..." He releases, giving her one last meaningful look before heading to the door.

He quickly gathers his lighter summer coat, hat, walking stick, and a black bag of his investigation tools from a closet. As he passes Hornsby, he will discreetly say "No specific reason to be concerned, but standard precautions while I'm gone."

With that he'll wait for Dorgio to be ready and then depart.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:He crosses the room, embracing her in a very uncharacteristic show of emotion. As he holds her close, he whispers "I can't be sure until I'm there, but it could be HIM. It could be Maytr..." He releases, giving her one last meaningful look before heading to the door.

He quickly gathers his lighter summer coat, hat, walking stick, and a black bag of his investigation tools from a closet. As he passes Hornsby, he will discreetly say "No specific reason to be concerned, but standard precautions while I'm gone."

With that he'll wait for Dorgio to be ready and then depart.

Charlotte stands, watching in silence as her husband and Dorgio leave the room. As the two men depart, she turns to stare at Lorna for a moment.
"I'm sure they'll be back soon."

END OF CHAPTER ONE