POVERO Poll: Further adventures

Online roleplaying at the Café

Which three things do you want to see in further adventures?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:54 pm

Dungeon crawling
13%
Wilderness/outdoor exploration
No votes
City/town adventuring
25%
Ships and the sea
25%
lost tribes, fallen civilizations, ruins, secrets of olden times
25%
A visit to the home town/region of one of the PCs
No votes
Fantastical monsters
13%
Countryside/rural setting
No votes
Quest/helping people
No votes
Search for loot/getting paid
No votes

Total votes: 8

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

POVERO Poll: Further adventures

Post by ewancummins »

If you were to continue playing in this setting, which of the following things would interest you most?
Pick any three.
I will not railroad the party. If a strong trend emerges here, expect some upcoming adventure hooks to reflect that trend.

Your votes here will not determine ALL possible further adventures, so don't sweat it. Just choose what looks fun to you.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: POVERO Poll: Further adventures

Post by alhoon »

Tough one...
I gave my 3 best.
My worst is dungeoncrawls. It's a forum... dungeon crawl means 2e battles (which take several rounds) with little in between.
Unless you find a method to "short-circuit" the battles, a dungeon crawl adventure would be a month in here.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Tough one...
I gave my 3 best.
My worst is dungeoncrawls. It's a forum... dungeon crawl means 2e battles (which take several rounds) with little in between.
Unless you find a method to "short-circuit" the battles, a dungeon crawl adventure would be a month in here.

I do have some shortcuts I've been developed for dungeon crawls, and some techniques I've picked up from other PbP DMs.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Note that the " little in between" may not be true of multilevel dungeons I run.
You might:

Trade/negotiate with (relatively) friendly monsters

Spy on villains

Investigate weird magical phenomena or strange room features

Help rescued captives

Learn lost secrets...

Return to the surface! Multi levels usually assume this.

But, sure, running all the way through a large dungeon would take a good deal of time. Months.
Death House is a smallish dungeon crawl, yes?

I would never even try to run a mega dungeon (like ToEE) online, though I have seen it done, or attempted.
More like Keep on the Borderlands or Thieves of Fortess Badabaksor at the long/big/multilevel end. Maybe The Lost City.
It must have people, human or otherwise, so there can be role playing interactions as well as hack and slash. A town, a tavern or trading post, some place to regroup, gather info, sell stuff, recruit henchmen, etc.
Four or five levels is BIG for online. And with something like that, tabletop or online, I don't assume the PCs will clear every room. Think of a big dungeon as a place where one might have multiple adventures.

I'm not posting all this to swing votes hard toward dungeons, just to explain how I think of dungeons, esp. larger ones.

RE City

Always fun. I have often used cities in my games, as many of my players know.

RE Ships and the Sea

This is one thing I haven't done much. I have multiple prepared items for this (true of all categories), and of course adventures will also emerge in play from your own ideas and plans.
And random rolls.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Yeap, and aside of fighting off enemies on other ships, a ship gives the adventure mobility IMO. Our captain could send us everywhere and explore very different lands, far from each other.

A ship that visits cities would be a good combo. We should definitely get on a crew.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Yeap, and aside of fighting off enemies on other ships, a ship gives the adventure mobility IMO. Our captain could send us everywhere and explore very different lands, far from each other.

A ship that visits cities would be a good combo. We should definitely get on a crew.
In case this option become popular, I've bought a copy of Judges Guild Islands Book 1.

And if, not, I'll use that one at the tabletop.
:)

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Creating a secret monster list (signature and/or significant), keeping in mind player adventure preferences.

You are shaping the setting.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Suggestion:
MIND FLAYEEEERS! :) :) :)
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Suggestion:
MIND FLAYEEEERS! :) :) :)

Alhoonzzzzzz