POVERO POLL Spell components

Online roleplaying at the Café

How would you like components to work?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:32 pm

Keep it simple. Casters must be able to speak and have a free hand. No need to track material components. Magic is will, word, and wand( or fingers/hand, holy symbol).
100%
Use the listed material components for each spell. Track components. Magic sometimes requires weird stuff. Some items have significant value to mages, who may pay you for them.
No votes

Total votes: 4

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

POVERO POLL Spell components

Post by ewancummins »

Spell components are actually optional in AD&D 2E.

They are fun, and they make sense, but it can get fussy with details.

The simplest way is to assume all spells need a free hand and the ability to speak.

Going with my CORE is CORE, question mark over the rest, approach, let's clear up this point.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: POVERO POLL Spell components

Post by ewancummins »

Okay, spellcaster do NOT have to worry about all those pesky vanishing material components.

Unless I rule that a specific spell requires some kind of ritual tools, you can ignore material components.

You need BOTH arms free and the ability to speak to cast spells.

A cleric with a shield could quickly set it down, sling it on his back, etc. No penalty. He can do that and still cast. He just won't get his shield bonus to AC when casting.

As a house rule, I am going to count a blessed, handheld holy symbol for a cleric or any magic wand for a wizard as a " free hand."

Wand (or fingers, or holy symbol)
Will
Word

Any material, perishing components are just color/fluff unless noted.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)