POVERO Weapon Proficiency Poll

Online roleplaying at the Café

How should weapon skill work?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:59 pm

As it is now. Everybody is proficient by default in all the listed weapons for his class. For warriors, this is the whole list. Fighters( single class) get to specialize. No slots to track.
80%
As per the optional PHB rules. You must take specific weapons. More slots as you go up. Fighters have to pay for spec, but get more slots.
20%
Fighter's Handbook options added. Spec is still just for fighters, and limited to one spec.
No votes

Total votes: 5

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

POVERO Weapon Proficiency Poll

Post by ewancummins »

weapons

Third option adds to and includes second option.
Last edited by ewancummins on Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Weapon Proficiency Poll

Post by ewancummins »

I have cast my vote for the status quo.

It's simpler.

But I am perfectly happy to use one of the other options if you guys prefer it.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

As we are now. Never liked the 2e system for weapon proficiencies. (Or saving throws, ability bonuses, difficulty checks, thief abilities... ;) )
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:As we are now. Never liked the 2e system for weapon proficiencies. (Or saving throws, ability bonuses, difficulty checks, thief abilities... ;) )

Right.

This campaign is a pretty stripped down, core AD&D 2E game. Not as rule heavy as Birthright.

The main optional rule in use is NWP. I have found that most players like having a skill list.

Kits (which are NOT in the PHB, but appear in splatbooks) can get messy, and some are just plain unbalanced. But some players like them, and I do like some of the kits from the Thief and the Fighter optional books. That's why I give out two free General slots instead of a kit. It's simple.
This also makes doubling up on a skill more attractive than it would be without freebies, and encourages people to include some practical stuff like swimming or riding. Or job skills.

I might create setting specific kits at some point, carefully balanced to mesh with core characters. No munchkin stuff.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Re: POVERO Weapon Proficiency Poll

Post by VAN »

Since there is no slots to track how can we take track?
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Since there is no slots to track how can we take track?
No, I mean keeping track of weapon proficiencies. As in counting the number of slots used. Metagame.

TRACKING , as in following tracks, is a NON-WEAPON proficiency (what 3E calls a Skill). And that is definitely in play. Your character uses these NWPs in play.

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

I don't mind having the no tracking of weapon slots and Warriors get Proficiences in all weapons basicly and all other classes get proficieny in any weapons in there description . But I do have a problem with Single Class Fighters Gainning nothing as they lvl up besides getting more HP/better Thaco/Saves, all other Warrrior classes gaining something at every 3rd lvl or so since all other classes do get better at their job perse ala more spells per day as well higher lvl spells for spell casters /thiefs get better at there Thief skills and backstab . But what do Sigle class Fightrs gain at those lvls is what I want to know . Since taking out WP(weapon Procficiences) and all options from the fighters hand book as well that Wp which are used to purchase them really makes them screwed over in comparsion to all the other classes as they lvl up especialy most players who play a Single class warrior will be single class Fighter becuase just rolling up a Ranger or Palladin with Iron Man 3d6 down the line is really hard to do period I would like to point out as well .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Perhaps we could get more expertise\mastery options? I.e. at the level we would get an extra slot, we could get another expertise or mastery?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

I'm giving due consideration to higher level options.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

:gabrielle:
Last edited by ewancummins on Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I would say that's kinda extreme... A 6th level fighter would wipe out 3-4 guards per round.
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:I would say that's kinda extreme... A 6th level fighter would wipe out 3-4 guards per round.

Yeah, maybe so. I'll shelve it for now.