POVERO Chapter Nine

Online roleplaying at the Café
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Re: POVERO Chapter Nine

Post by VAN »

Tom nods at Titus words.

"The more the merer I guess. I'm Tom and these are my sister Gertie, Titus and Damien. Since you have already fought the pirates do you know who is their leader? If we get him they may surrender or flee."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Alfonse nods. "If you're against the raiders, you're welcome to join in with us," he says. "We're trying to figure out the best way to get aboard the pirate vessel and spread this whale oil about." He looks down at the dead men. "The humans can dress in this...clothing, and make their way down there. Elf-types can probably wear a headband around their ears to stay disguised." He looks at Fild. "Uh, I guess you can offer fire support from the roof. I imagine, when we're leaving, we'll be in a bit of a hurry."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

One of the ''dead men'' groans and stirs...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"I'm good in close combat and I'm too often left away from the action Alfonse... I prefer to be at hand, hidden close to you guys but on the ground, to sprint in to help in case something goes bad."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:"I'm good in close combat and I'm too often left away from the action Alfonse... I prefer to be at hand, hidden close to you guys but on the ground, to sprint in to help in case something goes bad."
Damien says,
''Maybe we can stuff the gnome inside a big sack, or something?"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

ewancummins wrote:One of the ''dead men'' groans and stirs...
"I don't know who would be the current captain of these raiders, but we can just question this guy here ."Looking at the supposed dead man who groaned .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Lord Skybolt wrote:
ewancummins wrote:One of the ''dead men'' groans and stirs...
"I don't know who would be the current captain of these raiders, but we can just question this guy here ."Looking at the supposed dead man who groaned .

When somebody checks out the groaning pirate, he finds that one is not actually conscious. The pirate makes some noise, his eyes roll, and he stirs a little. But he soon falls still again.
He's bleeding from the scalp.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Alfonse nods at Fild. "Ah, perhaps a bag of booty we acquired during the raid. Good thinking, Fild. Do we have a large enough sack nearby?"

He looks down at the injured raider. Maybe it's his built in aristocratic cruelty. Maybe it's the last few days of aggravation. Maybe he's just a jerk. In any case, he kicks the raider in the side. "Wake up, scum. Maybe you can convince us not to kill you."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The raider doesn't wince when kicked, but does emit a faint groan.
A closer examination suggests the man is seriously injured. Maybe he will die. Maybe he will recover if left alone. But he won't likely answer any questions with some sort of healing, herbal stimulant, something.

Some of the other pirates might also still be alive. Unless the party leaves them to bleed out from wounds.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"Well, I can fit in a bag. I've done that as a prank to my uncle one day. Too bad my cousin had the idea to prank me by throwing a skank in the bag with me... In any case, someone should carry a shield that I can use once the gnome is out of the bag."

He doesn't comment any course of action about the pirates.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Tom looks at the pirate.

"I'm not an expert but if we leave him like that he will not be able to answer any question...I will try to clean the wound a bit and use something as bandage for the bloodloss. We need also to check if they have something on them that we can use. As about the shield, I have already one so I can't take it. But I can carry the bag if needed."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Tom and GERTIE loot the downed pirates, tending to the worst injuries of the ones who still breathe. Damien assists.

As Damien pulls clothing from the downed men, he says, " Didn't you say you wanted a disguise, Signore Alfonse?"
He holds up a loose, dirty shirt.

Fild reloads his arquebus , and then sets to filling a skin with oil.

The others prepare fire arrows, keep lookout, and do on.

Not far away, a rowdy song rises in the street. And smoke, and the crackle of flames...

Alfonse and most of the others hastily don impromptu disguises: a sash, a looted shirt, a bandanna, etc.

The party lookouts catch sight of a large group of sea raiders entering the alley.
Just enough time for Fild to crawl into a sack!

The pirates, a motley gang of about twenty men, pull up short of the party.

A fat buccaneer with red muttonchops bawls at them,
"You lot! Run into trouble?"
He looks about at the party, the fallen but bandaged pirates, the street. Then he scratches his stubbly wattles."Nevermind. More Watch is coming. Get to your ship. We sail and the docks burn. Praise the Flame!"

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Ya'r! Praise the flame!" Alfonse shouts, and then gestures for the others to make their way to the dog's head ship.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:"Ya'r! Praise the flame!" Alfonse shouts, and then gestures for the others to make their way to the dog's head ship.

GERTIE and DAMIEN respond with quickness, snatching up the small casks of whale oil and falling in behind Alfonse as he leads them to join the main body of pirates.
Gem tags along behind the group.

Minutes later, at the waterfront, the two thieves assist other pirates in loading loot onto a moored cog. Things seem confused, with pirates shoving one another, shouting, everyone in a rush.
If any Buccaneers notice odd behavior from the pair of burglars or the others who followed Alfonse, they don't show it.

After carrying the casks aboard and disappearing briefly, GERTIE and Damien clamber back down the side of the cog to join Alfonse and the others at the wharf.
Most pirates have gotten aboard the big vessel now, except some who left for a spot further east along the docks.

GERTIE whispers " Slippery stuff" and points to loose rope she left trailing over the side of the ship. Oil drips from the frayed end of the pitchy cordage.
The nasty, greasy odor of whale oil wafts from the rope, and from Gertie's hands.

A pirate leans over the gunwales and slice another rope, one of the lines mooring the vessel to the wharf.
He turns to the party and says,
"Hey, are you coming on board, or do you plan on swimming home? We aren't waiting much longer!"

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Alfonse raises a hand in a signal to those behind.

"No thanks, mates," he says, "Job's getting a bit too hot for me."