Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: POVERO Chapter Eight

Post by ewancummins »

THE MEETING
IN THE ROOM WITH THE ROUND TABLE

Neither Master Savelle nor Mistress Holbin seems surprised to hear the denunciation of Master Folbre, although Alfonse's words do provoke angry muttering and whispering among the hangers-on and servants in both the Savelle and Holbin parties.
Careful listeners catch the words" treason", " plot", "never", and "guessed."

Master Savelle sneers at Alfonse's romantic closing appeal.
"You did it all for love, yes, I'm sure. Love of money. But I do believe you are only pawns in the game, to be sacrificed for another's goals. "

Elissa's mother raises her right hand.
"My daughter is young. She will live to outgrow her infatuation with that young man."

Master Savelle's unpleasant expression twists into a snarl at the reference to his son, but he says nothing.

Mistress Holbin continues,
"Your party might not live so long... if not for my daughter's pleading on your behalf. "

Elissa's cousin, Trea Holbin, leans in to her aunt and whispers something.

Mistress Holbin pauses in silence a moment, then nods and says,

"Master Holbin likely would have you severely punished. Fortune smiles on you today, because my husband has left me in charge while he is away on business. I understand how love and money can make people do foolish things. And though you endangered my daughter, you also protected her. So I can see my way clear to letting the matter of the burglary drop if you will do right by helping to find Master Savelle's heir and to uncover the rest of whatever Master Folbre is plotting."

Master Savelle blinks. He stares at Mistress Savelle, his nasty expression fading. He puts away the stiletto he has been playing with.

A murmur runs through the gathering, then falls into silence.
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

OUTSIDE THE ROOM:
Fild signs his name through mutter protests after requesting a visit from the gnome "abdassador" (he said the word wrong).
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:OUTSIDE THE ROOM:
Fild signs his name through mutter protests after requesting a visit from the gnome "abdassador" (he said the word wrong).
After the guards pat him down for concealed weapons,they usher the gnome down a hall and into a meeting room that holds a handful of aristocrats, servants and bodyguards, plus more watchmen, and some familiar faces: Alfonse, Tom, and Gertie.
Gem barks and wags his tail when he sees the gnome.

The mood seems tense, expectant.

Only a few strangers shift attention to FILD, and then not for long.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: POVERO Chapter Seven

Post by ewancummins »

ewancummins wrote:
TITUS

Trailing the watch party for many blocks, TITUS sees the group take the gnome inside a strongly-built house.

Damien says,
"That's a Watch station. The main one I think. I remember seeing it the first day in the city."

City traffic has picked up as the morning sun climbs higher. Now a growing stream of pedestrians of all descriptions, sedan chairs, wagons, and riders pass by the pair of men, coming and going down Bay Road.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Alfonse bows to Mistress Holbin. "You have my thanks, and my appreciation. We shall certainly do what we can to restore Master Savelle."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

ewancummins wrote:THE MEETING
IN THE ROOM WITH THE ROUND TABLE
Mistress Holbin pauses in silence a moment, then nods and says,

"Master Holbin likely would have you severely punished. Fortune smiles on you today, because my husband has left me in charge while he is away on business. I understand how love and money can make people do foolish things. And though you endangered my daughter, you also protected her. So I can see my way clear to letting the matter of the burglary drop if you will do right by helping to find Master Savelle's heir and to uncover the rest of whatever Master Folbre is plotting."

Master Savelle blinks.
Fild having heard only the last part, and clearly uninterested in protocol and human eccentricities at the time with such allegations going around interjects in the discussion unannounced and perhaps unwelcome as he addressed his fellows.
"What happened? Lady Elissa was ... endangered? How? Lord Richard Savelle is missing? Aren't they already wed? Perhaps they're in their honey moon or something. Weren't both families supposed to abide by the wedding contract?"

Before the rest realize what's going on and a guard or servant back-hands him to silence Fild turns to the human lady that looks like Elissa.

"Good morning my lady. By your elegance and beauty, I would assume you are Lady Elissa's mother.
I'm nobody you would know or you would care to know but I'm called Fild.
I can tell you what Lord Folbre was plotting. He was plotting to help your children, very, very much in love, to marry because your houses had... different priorities than the feelings of these two humans.
I really hope your daughter is well cause she showed significant determination and bravery last night. She eloped with a group of people, lowlives like us, to be with the man of her dreams. She climbed down a window in the hands of strange men just because we had a letter from Lord Richard Savelle; that's how much she wants to be with him. Despite our station, she never belittle us or lorded over us.

If your daughter has got her courage, determination and clear-thinking from you my lady, your husband is a very lucky man and has every reason to trust you. I don't know about the others but I will certainly help to locate your daughter and Lord Richard Savelle. "
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Everyone stares at the gnome, except perhaps for his companions.

Mistress Holbin coughs.
"Ahem."
She looks down at the gnome.
"You speak too plainly to make a good courtier."

The Mistress's bodyguards and servants frown on the bold gnome.
Trea Holbin, though, smiles--just a little-- at him.
Adam wrote:Alfonse bows to Mistress Holbin. "You have my thanks, and my appreciation. We shall certainly do what we can to restore Master Savelle."
The matron nods to Alfonse. She gathers her skirts and departs the room, trailed by her coterie and henchmen.
Only Trea Holbin lingers a moment, to look at Alfonse and his party with a thoughtful expression on her pretty face. She, too, leaves.

Master Savelle steps up closer to Alfonse, flanked by mailed bodyguards.
"Get my son back. As for Master Folbre...as far as I am concerned...Well, it is important that you find out if you can what he's really up to, so try not to kill him if you can help it. I know you must be angry with the snake for setting you up like he did. Did you even get paid beforehand?"
He smiles. His voice drops to a whisper,
" He's a wealthy man. His house contains a number of valuable art objects. "
With that, Master Savelle also departs along with his group.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

It's not the lady dismissing him that surprises Fild; he expected to be kicked in the ribs by her coterie. Lord Savelle mentioning killing Aldron Foeble if it was unavoidable gives Fild a pause, but ... Lord Savelle saying Aldron betrayed them? Was it a rouse? Have his friends been protecting Aldron somehow or he had misjudged the noble so much?
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

ewancummins wrote:Everyone stares at the gnome, except perhaps for his companions.

Mistress Holbin coughs.
"Ahem."

Adam wrote:Alfonse bows to Mistress Holbin. "You have my thanks, and my appreciation. We shall certainly do what we can to restore Master Savelle."
The matron nods to Alfonse. She gathers her skirts and departs the room, trailed by her coterie and henchmen.
Only Trea Holbin lingers a moment, to look at Alfonse and his party with a thoughtful expression on her pretty face. She, too, leaves.

"Get my son back. As for Master Folbre...as far as I am concerned...Well, it is important that you find out if you can what he's really up to, so try not to kill him if you can help it. I know you must be angry with the snake for setting you up like he did. Did you even get paid beforehand?"
Before Master Savelle leaves...hopefully

"A point of order, if I may ask," Alfonse says, "How do we proceed against Master Folbre? Is he now under some form of formal suspicion, or will we have to act on our own once again? And, if we do, will we be risking further legal action against us?" He looks at the members of the watch. "I don't want to find ourselves on the wrong side of the city's law enforcement, again, if I can help it."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:
ewancummins wrote:Everyone stares at the gnome, except perhaps for his companions.

Mistress Holbin coughs.
"Ahem."

Before Master Savelle leaves...hopefully

"A point of order, if I may ask," Alfonse says, "How do we proceed against Master Folbre? Is he now under some form of formal suspicion, or will we have to act on our own once again? And, if we do, will we be risking further legal action against us?" He looks at the members of the watch. "I don't want to find ourselves on the wrong side of the city's law enforcement, again, if I can help it."
ALFONSE
catches up with Master Savelle (at arm's length, as the guards block him) just as that worthy heads through a door into the hall.
Savelle glances back as Alfonse asks his question.
He answers without turning fully round.
''Formal suspicion? No, I think you misunderstand. This is all gone past the ordinary course of the laws, now. This is faction war."

END OF CHAPTER EIGHT