POVERO Poll

Online roleplaying at the Café

Which playable races do you want to see in this campaign world? Pick one or two options.

Poll ended at Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:34 am

1 ONLY humans, gnomes, half-elves ( what the party includes now)
No votes
2 add elves
38%
3 add dwarves
38%
4 add hobbits( halflings)
No votes
5 add fauns/ satyrs
No votes
6 add minotaurs
13%
7 add centaurs
No votes
8 add half-orcs
No votes
9 add something else ( please specify)
No votes
10 prohibit as PC or exclude entirely from setting race X ( please specify)
13%

Total votes: 8

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

POVERO Poll

Post by ewancummins »

The results are not binding, but I will take them into consideration when making world building choices.
I'm thinking mainly of the known/ near part of the continent on which POVERO is located.
Races left out now might turn up in far off islands and other continents .They might be "monster" races. ( I am including centaurs, minotaurs , and satyrs as such in one specific region, at least ).
Or maybe they don't exist at all.
Last edited by ewancummins on Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: POVERO Poll

Post by alhoon »

Well, having half-elves IMO means elves should also be playable.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

I would say the classic races elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings should exist.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Kenders/Kobolds please
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

 Dwarfs

Statistics and game mechanics as per PHB with following modifications
Lose:
Typical dwarf combat bonuses (goblins, orcs, and Giants are less common in this setting)
Gain:
Plus one hit point every level

Dwarf stereotype: drunken, lecherous half-men, talented at digging up buried treasure of one kind or the other, penchant for skullduggery, tough

Racial deities include:

The Miners’ Milch-wyf
-beardless, busty dwarf female who dribbles red wine from her right nipple and dark beer from her left nipple. She brings relief in more than one form to the hard-working Stout Folk. She also promotes fertility. Because this beloved goddess has no beard, unlike a good number of dwarf females, many dwarf males consider fornication with smooth-cheeked women—even of other races—desirable and lucky.
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Delver of the Drowned Pit
-aspect of the Green Corpse, resembles a moldering, dead-eyed and green tinged Dwarf of unusually large proportions. Carries a bronze pick axe green with verdigris.Pray to him lest the pumps give out. Accepts drowned or suffocated sacrifices in the dark places under the earth. Speaks in rumbles and travels along rivers that never see the sun.
Alignment: Neutral
Last edited by ewancummins on Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Gnomes

As of now, we've used the standard PHB gnomes.
But as certain monsters are less common in this setting, the gnome combat bonuses may see little play.

I could replace the standard combat bonuses with:

Potion identification ( the gnome uses his g-nose and his g-noggin to sniff out potion type without drinking it, WIS check)
I consider all imbibed-type poisons to count as one potion type (generic/ undetermined poison does show up on the random potions table, after all). This should make it useful in some circumstances, even if the PC does not run across many magical potions. Gnomes are great a sniffing out poison in the proverbial wine cup.
It probably will not come up much, but it could be a life saver when it does.
And identifying potions can be risky and/or expensive
in this edition.
The identify spell takes time and includes a costly sacrifice. This is not 3E where you just squint hard at items to figure out what they do.
And being able to sniff test potions rather than have to taste test...

Tunnel rat: + 1 AC in underground/dungeon environment. Cellars, sewers, dungeon cells below ground, and all those sorts of places definitely count.

It is up to Alhoon.

I personally like the modified version, but he may not.
It fits the image his "gnome ghetto" background gave me. Little dudes skulking about urban warrens under the feet of the humans, mixing up strange brew, working in dirty and dangerous conditions, scrapping against or allying with rats and otehr burrowing critters, etc.
Last edited by ewancummins on Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Yeap, seems good. Better than the PHB gnome in any case. The AC bonus vs giants is handy but it's also weird; why say ... goblins don't have that AC bonus? The bonus to fight kobolds is " huh? OK, how is that useful after level 3?"

But all those nice things aside, could we perhaps get a stereotype breakdown for gnomes in the short, precise form you gave for dwarves? Not how the world sees gnomes, how Povero sees gnomes. By the time we go elsewhere, you could think of something else.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Yeap, seems good. Better than the PHB gnome in any case. The AC bonus vs giants is handy but it's also weird; why say ... goblins don't have that AC bonus? The bonus to fight kobolds is " huh? OK, how is that useful after level 3?"

But all those nice things aside, could we perhaps get a stereotype breakdown for gnomes in the short, precise form you gave for dwarves? Not how the world sees gnomes, how Povero sees gnomes. By the time we go elsewhere, you could think of something else.

I think that image I described above is probably close to how POVERO sees gnomes.
The lower class connotations of it all could be offset by a few famous occasions of gnomes foiling attempted poisoning soft merchants and nobles.
I'll mess about with it and give a short form version.

EDIT

I also wanted to further differentiate gnomes from dwarves and from hobbits. Not that I will automatically use halflings. Van mentioned them, but they have no actual votes thus far.

I used Adam's beloved Skills and Powers as a guide to altering racial abilities.