Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

POVERO Chapter Four

Post by ewancummins »

POVERO

After the meeting...
Last edited by ewancummins on Fri May 20, 2016 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: POVERO Chapter Four

Post by steveflam »

Tom, Gertie and Gem

Once the meeting is done, Tom, Gertie and Gem head out into Povero in search of the items she wants. After an hour or so and no luck

Gertie decides it might be better tomorrow afternoon to look and after a small discussion, they take a walk to where Gertie really

wants to go : fishing! She has what she needs, except the worms which she purchases and her permit which will let her fish for two weeks!

The boat is suitable for the three of them and soon, they are in out on the water. Gertie is really relaxed and very happy to be fishing. She

sports a huge grin. Casting out her first line of the night, she sighs. "Thanks for coming with me Tom. If I catch something, we'll share it.

Anything small I think Gem here will get some. First thing is we shouldn't make too much noise as it keeps the fish away. So we whisper to

each other. And patience is a must."

They spend the better part of four and half hours on the water. During that time, Gertie catches a few tiny smelt and some trash fish. Most of

those, gem gets. The highlight of her evening is a 30 pound grouper! With Tom's help they get it onto the boat. Satisfied with her evening,

she lets Tom know "We'll head back to the Inn. I don't know how to cook, but maybe Bianca can cook it for us. I'll give her a few coins for

her trouble. Okay, let's head back."

Returning the boat, she is complimented for her catch. "Thanks! I'll be seeing you fellas again real soon." She heads back to the Inn with Tom

and Gem. Once inside, she walks over to a table near the kitchen. Eventually the fish ends up with Bianca and the lady cooks it for them.

Though it isn't great, they in no way say anything to Bianca about the food, judging it the right thing to do. Besides, Gertie told Tom while they

were eating,,, don't piss off your cook. They need to eat and if they treat Bianca nicely, they will have good food in general.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE DAY AFTER THE MEETING

TOM and GERTIE have been out fishing at night, and eaten breakfast (blackened fish).
They might take a siesta now, to rest for this evening's work.

But the others...?
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Fild has discussed a few things with the wizard, cleaned and polished his armor to seem more professional and spent the rest of the time in the inn in case their patron sent anyone for them.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

Titus

Titus head to the Civic Temple to register himself, just in case someone needs to get married on short notice.
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

AROUND TWO IN THE AFTERNOON

TITUS has registered as a civic priest. It was no simple task, and navigating the temple and civic bureaucracy took him several hours, but it's done. Aldron provided the money needed.

TOM and GERTIE have gone out after resting in the morning, shopping for certain items in the marketplace--including things not displayed for sale to the general public.

ALFONSE has put out feelers for a meeting with the Holbins. Mixed results: It's possible, but Master Holbin does not take solicitors without a letter of introduction and a proper vetting. The process might take a few days at the least.
He managed to make inquiries without advertising his real name, where he is staying, etc. He gets this news in time to decide on some other course of action for this afternoon/evening, (should he still wish to contact Elissa before the thieves come for her at night).

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE MARKET AREA

While out shopping...

TOM and GERTIE keep an eye out for Elissa Holbin and her party, asking discrete questions.
Tom spots a woman who more or less matches Elissa's description browsing a perfumery next to an apothecary (where Tom has just purchased some more anise). With her nose in a scent bottle and head lowered, her face is only visible in profile. Gertie slips by and passes a note that one of her literate companions had made.
But Gertie fumbles and drops the note on the cobbles!

A swordsman standing nearby calls out,"Signora Catherine." The woman turns and strides past Gertie, sniffing the air and casting a sharp look at the common girl.
This close, Gertie can that the woman who answers to 'Catherine' only vaguely resembles the portrait of Elissa Holbin that Aldron Folbre showed her party last night.

The woman brushes past Gertie.
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue May 24, 2016 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

ALFONSE AND FILD

The pair have entered the Market district in search of Elissa Holbin.
Fine weather today has brought out many shoppers.
Navigating the crowds, Alfonse checks the sketch map Aldron gave him, and heads for the concentration of shops Elissa Holbin most often visits.

Fild helps look, but unless he climbs a lamp post or building facade, he can't see much more than the big humans looming over him on all sides.

Alfonse notices a half dozen swordsmen hanging out in before the whitewashed front of a shop with glazed rondel windows. The sign hanging above the door displays a big silver thimble and the words ' Mistress Bobbins' Dress Shop'.
Checking the map again, Alfonse sees this place is marked as a favorite of Elissa.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

MARKET SQUARE

Seeing a throng of guards, Fild gulps loudly and seeks out the wizard. He gets his attentions and tells him. "Make sure that there's nothing incriminating in this note to implicate who sends us. "

Looking at the guards again, he sighs. "Gods, we would have an easier job abducting the count from his bed! Six guards on top of who knows how many chaperones.
Do you know how illegal it is for someone to start shouting "fire!" in this city? Would I be able to escape with a reasonable fine you think? In the commotion, you could pass her a note. Making sure that it doesn't land six veteran mercenaries on our lap. Or Aldon's. Or Richard's."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

ewancummins wrote:THE MARKET AREA

While out shopping...

TOM and GERTIE keep an eye out for Elissa Holbin and her party, asking discrete questions.
Tom spots a woman who more or less matches Elissa's description browsing a perfumery next to an apothecary (where Tom has just purchased some more anise). With her nose in a scent bottle and head lowered, her face is only visible in profile. Gertie slips by and passes a note that one of her literate companions had made.

A swordsman standing nearby calls out,"Signora Catherine." The woman turns and strides past Gertie, sniffing the air and casting a sharp look at the common girl.
This close, Gertie can that the woman who answers to 'Catherine' only vaguely resembles the portrait of Elissa Holbin Aldron Folbre showed her party last night.

Gertie is embarassed at first, but quickly composes herself. Drats she thinks to herself That was the wrong lady. Trying to remember where the lady Elissa usually shops and

heads that way with Tom and Gem.
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Alfonse looks to Fild. "I think I found our lady. Try to keep me from getting stabbed."

He walks past the swordsmen into the shop, not even giving them a glance, and looks around for the object of his search.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Fild, trying to appear more composed that he feels, tries to professionally follow his "employer". He even calls to the guards "Aside please. Signore Erfonse has business here"
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

MISTRESS BOBBINS DRESS SHOP
Adam wrote:Alfonse looks to Fild. "I think I found our lady. Try to keep me from getting stabbed."

He walks past the swordsmen into the shop, not even giving them a glance, and looks around for the object of his search.

The swordsmen smile, wink, and chuckle as Alfonse boldly steps into the shop.

A moment later, Alfonse and Fild discover the cause of the men's amusement.

A heavy-set woman with a broad, florid face and a big bun of gray-black hair shoves right into Alfonse's chest before he gets through the short front corridor.
She bellows, "NO MEN ALLOWED!"
Her orange dress exudes the smell of starch and sweat, partly covered by sweet musk perfume.
The woman rears up to her full height, just shy of Alfonse's nose.
She smoothes her clothes as she looks Alfonse up and down.
"Ahem. Strictly women only, signore."

Outside, the guards break into louder laughter.

The woman glances down at Fild when the gnome speaks, and scowls at him.
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue May 24, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

steveflam wrote:
ewancummins wrote:THE MARKET AREA

While out shopping...

This close, Gertie can that the woman who answers to 'Catherine' only vaguely resembles the portrait of Elissa Holbin Aldron Folbre showed her party last night.

Gertie is embarassed at first, but quickly composes herself. Drats she thinks to herself That was the wrong lady. Trying to remember where the lady Elissa usually shops and

heads that way with Tom and Gem.

BAZAAR OF THE SPICERS

Near the intersection of the Bay Road and Shore Street, Gertie finds the Bazaar of the SPICERS. She sees men and women coming in and out of this enclosed, roofed-over marketplace.
A ten foot wide front gate stands open to the street, flanked by two men wearing padded jacks and carrying cudgels. Beyond the pink masonry archway, a corridor runs thirty paces to another gateway, one which opens onto an alley running across the rear of the Bazaar.
Entering, Gertie sees high shelves on the walls, and many more racks and open shelves arranged on the wide pavement to her left.
Vendors sit on stools or stand near the wares while shoppers stroll about.
The high wooden roof cuts off the sunlight except for rows of louvers left open, through which slanted beams shine.
Within the enclosed SPICERS market, the cool air smells of various exotic odors. A light breeze blows down the open lane from gate to gate, street to alley.
The shelves and racks hold pots, bottles, and sacks of spices, but also: silks, small mirrors, perfume vials, and other items.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Gertie looks around for Elissa, and keeps an eye open for her guards as well.