POVERO Chapter Four

Online roleplaying at the Café
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: POVERO Chapter Four

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

ewancummins wrote:THE OPEN MARKET PLAZA
The man presses five silver pennies into Titus's hands.

The birds coo, then take wing and fly out of the cage. They circle above Titus, making loops and arcs in the clear air.
He studies their pattern until they pass out of sight over the rooftops of the city...
VIEW CONTENT:
The augury suggests that the best policy for this gentleman will be to arrange for another man to come forward and seek the attention of the amorous lady. Look for someone he thinks would actually be a good match, one of his fellow officers, perhaps.
Titus scraches his chin. "Ah, yes. The Speaker is wise." He turns to the young man. "You, singore, should find a good match for this young woman who has taken a liking to you. That should take her attention elsewhere, and perhaps earn you the gratitude of your superior."
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE READER'S REST

With help from the apprentice boy and following suggestions from Fild, ALFONSE selects a short, popular, and freshly printed romantic novel, titled A Narrative of a Lady-Captive of Sir Udolfo the Robber-Knight of the Abbrontes.
It is one of the books shelved with a plain, buff binding.(Fancier covers are custom made, and numerous books here are sold as loose-leaf packets)
Having bought the book, the next step is to go down to see about beautifying it with the binders who work on the ground floor.

Alfonse learns that it could take several days to have the book rebound in a custom cover with metal furniture, embossment, and so on-- even with the master binder working overnight.
But as Alfonse is in a hurry, the binders working in the lower level of the shop offer him a another option.
The master binder, an thin old man with long-fingered hands, shows Alfonse a deerskin with the fur on.
''Feel it if you please, signore. This is excellent material as you can see. I can make a case for you quickly, if I and my helpers work on nothing else for the next hour. It will be simple, yes, but beautiful in its simplicity. And if you wish to scent it to please the lady to whom you will give this gift, why, the fur will hold perfume much better than hard leather would do. "
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE OPEN MARKET
Varrus the Ethical wrote:
ewancummins wrote:THE OPEN MARKET PLAZA
The man presses five silver pennies into Titus's hands.

The birds coo, then take wing and fly out of the cage. They circle above Titus, making loops and arcs in the clear air.
He studies their pattern until they pass out of sight over the rooftops of the city...
VIEW CONTENT:
The augury suggests that the best policy for this gentleman will be to arrange for another man to come forward and seek the attention of the amorous lady. Look for someone he thinks would actually be a good match, one of his fellow officers, perhaps.
Titus scraches his chin. "Ah, yes. The Speaker is wise." He turns to the young man. "You, singore, should find a good match for this young woman who has taken a liking to you. That should take her attention elsewhere, and perhaps earn you the gratitude of your superior."

The young officer nods as he listens to the cleric's augury and advice.
He blinks, a big grin appears on his face.
'' It comes to me that I know a man who will do nicely for this...yes, yes I do! A fellow officer, brave, smart, honest, but not very lucky with the fair sex. The poor fellow over his own tongue whenever he addresses a pretty maiden. Now, with my help..."
He bows, thanks Titus, tips the priest two follaros, and departs.
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue May 31, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Since they have decided to go to the bookshop Tom prefers to wait outside keeping Gem close to him so he doesn't get away again. He pretends to just admire the buildings around but also keeps an eye at the bookstore and who enters.

OUTSIDE THE READER'S REST

Tom sees men and women pass up and down the staircase on the near side of the two story shop. Many appear to be well-dressed ladies and gentlemen, but others wear the plainer clothing of serving-maids and lackeys.
Peeking in a window of the workshops on the lower floor, he sees bookbinders sewing up book-covers and trimming paper pages with steel shears.
Through another window, he sees men in ink-stained aprons working with wooden blocks, racks of little pieces of metal, and big screw presses (rather like wine-presses he has seen at home).
Traffic on the street looks heavy, with numerous pedestrians, a few riders, and several passing carts.
A cool breeze blows up from the south, carrying the smell of the sea and clearing away the odors of horse manure and woodsmoke so common to the city air.

Gem sniffs at base of the stone wall.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

ewancummins wrote:THE READER'S REST

With help from the apprentice boy and following suggestions from Fild, ALFONSE selects a short, popular, and freshly printed romantic novel, titled A Narrative of a Lady-Captive of Sir Udolfo the Robber-Knight of the Abbrontes.
It is one of the books shelved with a plain, buff binding.(Fancier covers are custom made, and numerous books here are sold as loose-leaf packets)
Having bought the book, the next step is to go down to see about beautifying it with the binders who work on the ground floor.

Alfonse learns that it could take several days to have the book rebound in a custom cover with metal furniture, embossment, and so on-- even with the master binder working overnight.
But as Alfonse is in a hurry, the binders working in the lower level of the shop offer him a another option.
The master binder, an thin old man with long-fingered hands, shows Alfonse a deerskin with the fur on.
''Feel it if you please, signore. This is excellent material as you can see. I can make a case for you quickly, if I and my helpers work on nothing else for the next hour. It will be simple, yes, but beautiful in its simplicity. And if you wish to scent it to please the lady to whom you will give this gift, why, the fur will hold perfume much better than hard leather would do. "
Alfonse puts his hands together and bows over them to the master binder. "If you would, signore, I would greatly appreciate it. I have...other suitors competing with me. Speed is of the essence."

When the bill comes, he will happily provide the information to send it to Lord Aldron.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Outside of reader's rest

Tom admires the advanced methods of Povero and makes a mental note to refer about the big presses at the craftsmen of his homeland if he ever go back. He looks at Gem sniffind and goes closer to check the wall.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

The Reader's Rest

Fild waits near Alfonse, checking this and that. He seems interested in the work done by the book binders but just watches from a distance without interfering with their work.
Adam wrote: When the bill comes, he will happily provide the information to send it to Lord Aldron.
Fild would kindly whisper to Alfonse that they better not mention Lord Aldron's name but pay out of their own pocket if it's affordable and then sum up the costs to their noble patron.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

LATER THAT EVENING

The party regroups after making purchases and seeking information in the Market Area. Before leaving, Alfonse arranges for the deliver of the gift book, with the note tucked inside.
(Aldron's agent, and money the Master has already provided, cover all the costs).

Everyone gets a chance to rest and eat at the Frisky Friar.

Damien disappears from the inn for a couple of hours, returning late in the evening with a report about the Holbin Estate: "It's a big place, with a vineyard, gardens, and pastures. At least the southern part is bounded by a very long fence. I saw armed men patrolling the grounds. A few hounds. Not as heavily guarded as I thought it would be, but maybe I missed stuff. I thought better of jumping the fence and getting close to the big house. Too risky."

The adventurers may eat a supper cooked by Branca if they are hungry. Damien tucks into a pot of fish stew, scooping the big chunks out with a heel of crusty bread. "Never know when you'll eat again."
He chokes, coughs, and then picks a fish bone from his mouth. After soothing his throat with some wine from the common pitcher, he says, "When, or if."

The party wastes a few hours in an unsuccessful attempt to test Alfonse's sleeping concoction on a stray dog. At first, they have trouble finding a subject. And then a pack of Povero's crafty, aggressive rats snatches the sample and escapes down a drain!
Bad luck.

Later, as the sun sinks low, the party goes out onto the high road and begins its hike to the Holbin Estate...

END OF CHAPTER FOUR