ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: POVERO REFERENCE

Post by ewancummins »

 PLAYTEST VERSION

Speciality Priests of The Speaker in Storms
(Cleric Variant)

Requirements: WIS 12, neutral good alignment, weather sense or augury (astrology variant) NWP, may belong to any player race

Weapons and armor:
as cleric; common type B, any armor and/or shield

Granted powers:
 Turn undead (Destruction effect resembles miniature storm)
+ 2 to saving throws versus electricity

Spheres:
 Based on cleric list, with some modifications.
 Weather added for major access. Sun removed.
 Minor access to Elemental does not include Earth and Fire, only Air and Water.

Design notes:
VIEW CONTENT:
I might further narrow the spheres and then add a couple more granted powers. But I wanted to keep this one close to the baseline cleric, in case Varrus decides to convert his guy.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

MODRON

Yep, Judges Guild!

I have purchased the PDF of MODRON. I'm adapting it as one of the small cities near POVERO.
If anybody has played there before, no problem. I'm modifying some stuff, and MODRON is almost plot free, anyway. It's a sourcebook, not an adventure module.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

More on Giants and Dragons

These monsters usually dwell far from human lands. A creature like this coming to POVERO would be a major event.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Divine Realms
------------------

 ---The Winged Victrix

The Bastion of Glory

 --- The Speaker in Storms

Mount Everstorm

 ---The Fleet Maiden

The Halidom Wood

 ---The Blind Judge

The Court of No Appeal

 ---The Green Corpse

The Garden of Graves

 ---The Pallid Dreamer

The Phantasmal Palace

 ---The Brutal Master

The Citadel of Might

 ---The Lady of Poisoners

The Slough of Venom

 ---The Flame of Anarchy

City of Flame and Shadow

A character with Religion NWP knows the names of these realms.

Other characters may know the name of the realm of that corresponds with a favored deity/patron ( maybe a couple, as this is a polytheist setting). Default to alignment.

Oddballs or heathens who don't regularly worship the gods at a civic temple or other shrine ( you know which PC I mean ;) )know jack squat.

Everyone has heard of the Underworld, the waiting place of the souls of the dead.
It can supposedly be reached from certain deep caverns, hollow hills,and accursed ruins.

The divine realms lie someplace farther from the mortal world.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

languages of this part of the world

Ostrona/Ostronic:
The common language of the small states stretching from Povero to Ferrantio.
Closest real-world equivalent: Gothic + Vulgar Latin

Old Ostronic:
A dead language used by scholars
Closest real-world-Equivalent: Gothic
Uses an angular, runic script

Modronian:
A very old language still spoken in the villages upriver from the small city of Modron.
Closest Real World equivalent: Gallic languages

Bronthennic:
The native language of the folk of the Abbrontes
Thieves’ Cant in Povero, Ferrantio, and nearby regions employs numerous loan words from this language.
Closest real-world equivalent: Lombardic +Vulgar Latin

Two additional minor human languages:

Chaerullian dialect (of Ostronic). Speakers of Ostronic may make an INT check at -1 to comprehend this speech at a basic level.

Zik Argot

The language of the Zikandroon, influenced by Ostronic.

Demihuman:
• Gnomish: spoken by the gnomes who live in the slums and warrens of Rioricco/Ruscellon
• Elvish: not often heard outside the Elven enclaves of the Tanglewood, but some half-elves and human traders know it.

nonhuman languages:

• Vermic: the language of dragons. No dragons inhabit the lands within at least a hundred miles of Povero, but a species with toxic breath dominated the land in the distant past. Scholars of the natural sciences, especially herbalism and metallurgy, use certain words and concepts derived from the old draconic language. The University at Ferrantio is the only place anywhere near Povero where one may study Vermic.
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 18 times in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Holy symbols most commonly used in POVERO and nearby regions/cities:

Winged Victrix:
A longsword with quillions styled like wings, displayed point down

If painted on a miniature panel, then it will feature crossed, drooping black and white banners in background

The Blind Judge:

A flat head shape with eyeless cut outs or hollow orbits (nearly featureless otherwise), with a large white wig.
Elaborate designs may include a putto (like what is sometimes wrongly called a "cherub") and an imp, one to either side of the wig

The Brutal Master:
A gloved fist with heavy rings or metal studs

The Speaker in Storms:
lightning orb, a hollow gold or brass sphere with radiating, jagged projections

The Green Corpse

A jade or wood (painted green) skeletal finger with vines/weeds/briars threaded around it

The Lady of Poisoners

A chalice or phial with a tiny dragon or serpent crawling from it

The Fleet Maiden

A running hind, usually fashioned of red gold or ruddy bronze. Gold or Amber antlers

The Pallid Dreamer

A pale face with eyes closed, carved from moonstone, ivory, or horn

The Flame of Anarchy

A sooty stiletto, wreathed in flames

And

PERNOLD THE VIGILANT

Miniature statuette of PERNOLD patterned after memorial/idol in the Civic Temple
Or badge with heraldic crest of Perinoldi ( priestly family that claims descent from his illegitimate son)

Other symbols may be used. Eagles for the Speaker, for example.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

SCIENCE AND MAGIC

As Trea Holbin's recent remarks might suggest, the line between science and magic is pretty blurry in this setting.
Well-equipped astrologers use the newfangled spyglasses to magnify heavenly bodies when searching the stars before creating horoscopes.
The more ambitious and curious surgeons haunt graveyards to dig up bodies for dissection, which makes them necromancers as far as most people are concerned.
Alchemists preparing Greek fire recite incantations to guard against untimely combustion.
Last edited by ewancummins on Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

http://www.ign.com/faqs/2002/advanced-d ... faq-372456

These rules are pretty much from the books. Players without the books may find the charts useful.

http://people.wku.edu/charles.plemons/a ... /arms.html

Ignore speed factor except for ties and quick draw situations, which I will note in play.

Any weapon not listed in the PHB should be treated as " maybe." Unless I make it a nope.
Pretty much all the arms and armor in the PHB are part of the world.

Ignore the Dark Sun and Oriental stuff.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

NOTES ON RULES

NON WEAPON PROFICIENCIES
This optional rule is in play.
House rule: characters gain two free slots, to be spent on GENERAL group proficiencies.

WEAPON PROFICIENCIES
Not currently in use, but see poll...

These are actually optional rules in 2E.
As it stands, instead of tracking slots, all PCs are proficient in all the weapons listed for their respective classes. Yes, this means a fighter can pick up any weapon and use it without penalty (using common sense: a guy who has never before seen an arquebus would need a quick block of instruction, an object not meant for combat might carry an inherent penalty to hit).

WEAPON SPECIALIZATION

Only single class fighters (not rangers, paladins, multiclass fighters) can get this. No need to worry about slots (see above), just pick the weapon you like best.

SPELL COMPONENTS

See poll...

KITS:
These do not come from the PHB, but from the PHBR series and other ''splatbooks'' or setting books. Many require certain optional rules to work properly, and some are potentially unbalanced. That said, I do like certain kits and might allow them in playtest. Any PC given a kit does NOT get the freebie NWPs listed above.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Gnomic Religion

Gnomes believe in the Demiurge, a mysterious deity who created the oldest part of the world and created the Gnomish race.
But he vanished after other gods appeared. He grants no spells.
Gnomish art depicts the Demiurge as a large but gnomelike figure with Opal eyes, wrapped in a hooded cloak of shadows.
He is never shown smiling or laughing.

Gnome clerics and priests who actually have magical power get it from other gods. The Demiurge remains a common part of the religious background for Gnomish sects and schools of philosophy.

The Gnomic Sects

Lapidarian

Phantasians

Absurdists

I'm recycling two of my old Gnomish sects for this campaign.

http://ghoulsinthecellar.blogspot.com/2 ... chive.html

Absurdists believe the universe is an incredibly cryptic and complicated joke played by the Demiurge. If anybody ever really gets the joke and laughs, everything will end when the master joker joins in the laughter. In order to distract others from the cosmic jest, Absurdists crack jokes, litter their speech with puns, play pranks on foes, and otherwise spread both merriment and confusion.
They believe no merely mortal humor could come close to the subtlety and wit of the Demiurge.

A tiny breakaway sect, the Sons of Silence, believe that the main body of Absurdists have it wrong; their jokes tend to build toward a mortal figuring out The Joke. So they must be stopped. These grim gnomes mute themselves with potions, to prevent laughter. They murder jesters, burn theaters where comedies are performed, and pursue a clandestine campaign against other gnomes.

More to come...

-----

DM notes:

Gems, jokes, and illusions. Those are three salient features of Gnomish culture and personality as described in AD&D materials.
For this setting, I'm leaving out the tinker gnome stuff common to Dragonlance and Mystara, which also influenced a lot of homebrew and generic settings.

Because I have made superior talent in identifying potions a part of gnomishness, I will probably add a Mixer/Chymist sect, who believe the Demiurge used an elixir to create gnomes. If they could figure that out...

I might ditch the Lapidarian sect, and simply work the gems into other sects.

Chymists use dissolved or powdered gems and crystal decanters in their potion-mixing work.
Phantasians use prisms and lenses cut of translucent gemstones.
Absurdists defy Gnomish custom by wearing costume/paste jewelry? It's all a joke, anyway?

NEW

Elixirists:
Elixirists follow a tradition somewhat akin to the human science of alchemy, but these gnomes show little interest in transforming base metals into gold, and instead work to dissolve gemstones into liquid elixirs with magical properties. The Elixirists describe the Demiurge as the supreme potion-mixer, who created the gnomish race as laboratory assistants and ingredient gatherers.
Last edited by ewancummins on Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Hmm, and burrowing mammals? Should be easy to fit into these sects.

I haven't made the stuff above official yet. But when I do, it will be accessible ingame with a successful NWP Religion check, or an INT check for a gnome PC.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

OK, as a Gnomish player I have to say the Absurdists seem... reliably gnomish. You can fit gems, illusions and borrowing mammals there as well. They're totally funny but you don't get the joke. That's why you don't laugh.

I have no idea who the other two sects are. Could you give a synopsis?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:OK, as a Gnomish player I have to say the Absurdists seem... reliably gnomish. You can fit gems, illusions and borrowing mammals there as well. They're totally funny but you don't get the joke. That's why you don't laugh.

I have no idea who the other two sects are. Could you give a synopsis?
It's in the link to my old blog, above. But they need work being adapted to this setting.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

The conservative Lapidarian sect teaches that the Creator is a divine jeweler, who fashioned the celestial jewels –sun, moon, and stars- from stones he dug out of the deep earth. The Lapidarians greatly honor master jewelers. These gnomes keep relic tools used by the ‘old masters’ inside jeweled reliquary boxes. Divination by watching the light reflected off faceted stones, or by use of a prism, plays a role in Lapidarian religious rites and daily life.
The gnostic Phantasians conceive of god as a trickster and illusionist. To a Phantasian, the world is a layered illusion on top of a spiritual inner reality. Phantasians see the study of illusion magic as a sacred calling. Master illusionists are often seen as guru-like figures of special wisdom. Death is ultimately just another illusion, so Phantasians sometimes pray for the intervention of dead illusionists.
OK, Absurdists cover the jokes, Phantasians the illusions and Lapidarians the gems.
They all can kinda fit in the concept of the Demiurge they just see him differently (illusionist, jeweler, jokester) or in case they're tolerant, worship different aspects of him. You can be a jeweler and illusionist and a jokester after all.
Or the Chemists (alchemists) could say the Demiurge created the sun\moon gemstones alchemically or brewed the world and starts in a kettle or something.

Fild isn't too interested in religion but tends towards the absurdists. He likes the idea that the whole world is a cosmic joke. Certainly explains some things... like owlbears. He doesn't think the world will end when someone "gets" the joke; and he believes its beyond mortal understanding anyway.
He believes the demiurge created the world perhaps along with other deities (he doesn't reject them or other creation myths).
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Regional map coming soonish.

Will include:

The Strombalto Massiff

The Abbrontes

The Dogskulls

The Pale Sierras

Vinegrass Plain

Fumepit Forest

The Tanglewood

Sea of Whales

Cities of POVERO, CHARDON, Ferrantio, RIORICO/RUSCELLON, other cities and small states