Death House

Online roleplaying at the Café
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Death House

Post by alhoon »

The fighter, reeling from the pain and fighting against the spreading paralysis didn't manage to land a blow on the ghoul but he was forced to retreat away from its claws, moving back towards Kimber. The druid started chanting a healing spell for Van, as her Creation spit another round of acid on the ghoul. The acid missed and landed on the wall with a hissing sound but at least it made the ghoul recoil from the retreating fighter.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

"Van!" yells Vorj, as he pivots to swing his axe at the ghoul that has just attacked the fighter.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

The Paladin's axe hits the ghoul, embedding itself in its unholy, rotten flesh. The Ghoul hisses, not in pain but in anger. Burdur chants and light coalesces over the ghoul and radiant fire sears its flesh as it disentangles itself from the paladin's weapon.
The ghoul seems worse for the wear but still very much in the fight. As it dislodges itself from the axe, Vorj is momentarily unbalanced. The Ghoul uses this opportunity to scrape at the holy warrior's exposed flesh, reopening the wound its companion's bite has made before. Again the lithargy of the curse threatens to overwhelm Vorj as the claws dig deep.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Kimber exchanges places with Van, frantically casting a spell as the paladin falters. The healing energies of nature embrace the Holy Warrior and his wounds start to mend; at least he's not losing battle. Chutney spits some acid on the creature again, and again she misses. However as the ghoul with an angry snarl moves out of the acid's path, cleansing light from Burdur's spell coalesces around it and burns its unholy flesh.
The Ghoul doesn't seem to feel pain, only hate, but it is clearly close to final rest.
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

As the ghoul is ready to launch itself onto Vorj, a thrown handaxe by Van cuts its advance even though it missed the unholy creature. Taking the opportunity, the Paladin lands one final blow and his axe splits the skull of the creature, shattering the blasphemous power that holds it between life and death. The corpse slumps to the ground next to the paralyzed, blind Rebel captain.
The moment of elation is soon soured as Burdur speaks "Quick! The other two ghouls will be back within a few seconds! Moradin's power can keep them at bay for only so long! Pull back and let's head to a place we can defend better! Every second spent, is one breath wasted!"
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Van gets his handaxe and lifts the paralyzed Captain.

"Lead the way Bordur, for what I remember the best place to defend ourselves is at the upper east side of the cellar. I will take the paralyzed Captain."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kimber glances at the captain's ruined face and winces. She holds out little hope for his survival now... a fact which causes her no grief.

Still, this does not seem the time to be raising these issues, and while she does not like the captain leaving him to be devoured alive is vastly excessive revenge.

With a swift command she sends Pugsley ahead to scout their line of retreat for surprises, with Chutney's eyes on the likely approach route of the ghouls.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

The blind captain has overcome his paralysis but not his horror. He moans pitifully as he clutches the wall with one hand and searches for his weapon with the other. The party, wounded, prepares to head towards the tombs of the dead kids. Perhaps a fitting place to fight these dead monsters.

KIMBER:
VIEW CONTENT:
About 5-10 seconds after Pugsley disappears around the corner Kimber feels a sudden jerk as the creature she has made, she has created panics. She can feel the terror of the flying creature and his pain. Pugsley tugs against her control, his insticts trying to take over from her. But he doesn't have the time. Kimber's control over the creature snaps like a cord broken by pulling too hard as Pugsley dies. The whole thing lasted less than a second. But a part of her, a part of her living outside of her, died.
My DMGuild work!
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Vorj runs with the others, trying hard not to bash the poor captain against the walls in their mad rush. "I can heal some of the wounds," he says, panting from the exertion of both the fight and the flight, "but we need a moment's respite from those monsters first!"
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

"STOP!"

Kimber stumbles to a halt.

"The ghouls are ahead of us. They killed Pugsley! They're not far, he didn't...get...far."

She pulls herself together.... a little.

"I'm afraid we need an alternative plan..."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

The group grabbed the blinded rebel and rushed quickly to the dining room of the cultists. How Ironic that they would have to try avoiding being the next dinner of the undead cultists in that very room. And thankfully, they heard the ghouls rushing through the corridor behind them. Both.

Vorj and Van stood side by side, with Kimber and Burdur behind them ready to heal or intervene.
My DMGuild work!
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kimber hefts her gleaming club in one hand while faint hints of flame curl around the other.

"C'mon Chutney. Focus. Give them one for Pugsley!"

She prepares to let fly with flame and acid the instant something comes into view!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

The first of the two ghouls running, slimy half-rotten tongues out in excitement and anticipation of their next meal comes into sight. The moving corpse of the fat, middle aged man is greeted with a bolt of fire from Kimber that scorches the wall next to his head and a sizzling acidic attack from Chutney that gets him in the gut, eating through undead flesh and fat. A halo of radiant energy from Burdur's words descends on the ghoul but it manages to dodge.

Van and Vorj come face to face with the two ghouls.
The fat undead cultist lunges on the paladin, but claws and teeth fail to find a hold. Vorj manages to fight back the ghoul as another ghoul, the cursed remains of a thin and tall cultist manage to get into position to attack. And yet, the Gods seems to be favorable to the Paladin, as he manages to block the attacks of the second attacker as well.
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Under the combined attacks of the party first the fat ghoul and then the tall one are destroyed. Silence again reigns in the shadows of the dungeon.
My DMGuild work!
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Vorj breathes heavily but he doesn't move for several long seconds, not daring to believe that the fight is over ... for now.

He tends to the blinded captain as best as he can, trying to ease his pain. Then he gets up and says to his companions, "Van, Kimber, Burdur... we can't do much at the moment. I say we find a place that we can secure and rest for a while, and then decide..." -- he looks back at the captain -- "...what to do."
--W. Somerset Maugham