Death House

Online roleplaying at the Café
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Re: Death House

Post by VAN »

Van looks around.

"That's really brave Vorj. Thank you for offering to do this really risky task. I suggest we should fight in a room with a door that can be closed and barricaded if needed. Like the family crypts room. Me and you will be in front of the door, allowing only one of them to fight while the spellcasters can cast their spells from distance. If they are undead it's better if we will not let them touch us, many have powers."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Burdur mumbles something about the weirdness of humans, but doesn't offer a clear suggestion.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Vorj nods and says, "That sounds fine, Van." As Vorj steps away, though, Van suddenly isn't quite sure if Vorj is truly being brave -- or if the paladin is seeking a swift death. In any event, Vorj advances.

As he gets closer to the source of the noises, he begins to stagger a bit, and he allows his footsteps to becomes slow and irregular, as though he's limping. "Heyyyyy..." he calls out, his voice slurring. "Annnnnybody there...? I'm going to... make short work... of you. Heh heh heh."
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kimber nods at the plan.

"Pugsley can bite...a bit. Chutney can spit acid at things. Its a pretty potent acid.... I think. I haven't seen it in action, you understand..."
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

After a couple of minutes, Vorj returns - but quietly, not in the manic way that had been part of his plan.

"Ahead," he says hurriedly, "there's an intersection before the room with the chanting. I've found Captain Eshethor! He's here! But I need help. Come, quietly but quickly!"

He leads the others back to the intersection.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Burdur remains rooted to his position for a moment, stunned. "Captain Eshethor, our commander and your captain, happens to be in this place, below us? How he slipped through? When?
When the half-elf checked the cursed painting, that had all of us there, he wasn't there, was he?" Then he thinks "Has anyone thought to check the painting for extras?" he said looking at the others.
"What if it is a trap from the house? I'll go first" he says. "I don't trust you rebels. You may slit his throat."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Van was ready to ask Vorj why he didn't stick to the plan when the paladin mentioned the Captain.

"Wait what? You saw Captain Eshethor here? In this house? He might be a ghost or an illusion. If he was lost in the mists as we did we would have seen him at the forest when the fog cleared. But no personally I haven't checked the portrait. Still, this man is a coward, even if he is a rebel."

Van gets his scimitars out and follows Burdur and Vorj.

"Lets go but better be prepared for anything. If things get messy we should go back to the room I told you, where we have strategic advantage. Only one enemy can pass from the door while 3 of us can be in melee and the spellcasters can cast their spells from distance."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Burdur leads the way, weapon in hand. He moves through the corridor towards the stairs. Suddenly, with a loud "Craaack" the floor gives away! With a loud yell Burdur fails to grab on anything solid and tumbles down the dark pit. A sickening sound of bones breaking and the noise from the dwarf's armor and equipment is followed by a pained grunt ... mixed with a string of curses that would make a drunk dockworker blush.

As the party recovers from the shock and surprise, they can listen the dwarf chanting a prayer through gritted teeth and see some hints of warm, golden light briefly illuminate the roughly excavated walls of the hole as the magical healing takes effect.
It seems the cultists had covered a deep hole, with wooden spikes in the bottom, under rotten planks and a thin layer of dust. Miraculously, Vorj must have stepped on the strong wooden support that didn't give under his weight but it is now down in the hole with the wounded dwarf.

The hole now blocks their path, having just a few inches of solid ground to go around it that would be dangerous to cross except by a skilled acrobat.
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Burdur! Are you ok? We have forgotten that might be traps down here! Traps that Eshethor didn't get caught..."

Van looks suspiciously at Vorj.

"You have passed from this corridor just a moment ago...how you did it? We need to get Burdur up here and of course we need to make it at the other side. Does anybody have a rope?"
- W H A T ! ? !
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"Ι've fallen in a dark, dunk pit, 12' feet deep with wooden pointed spikes to make the fall even more painful human. Of course I'm not all right! I'm not dying, thanks to Moradin's blessings. Tell the flying one to keep watch on the other side. Last thing I want is something bad to creep in this pit from the other side. "
My DMGuild work!
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

VAN wrote:"You have passed from this corridor just a moment ago...how you did it?"
"By Piris' grace, it seems," says Vorj, dismissing Van's suspicious look. Perhaps I haven't been abandoned after all, he thinks, holding on to that slight thread of hope.

"No rope," he adds a few seconds later, after checking his pack. "Burdur, do you have rope? If so, fasten one end to a rock and throw it to me! I'll secure it.

"Kimber, keep an eye on the far end, please. If you see anything -- or if the chanting stops -- let us know."
--W. Somerset Maugham
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

"Right!"

Whether she is responding to Burdur or Vorj isn't clear: either way she whispers some instructions to Pugsley and launches him across the pit. He flitters into the darkness beyond.

She then cautiously peers down the pit, and speaks in a tone calculated to reach Burdur's ears but no further.

"I can also heal if you are still injured..."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Van guards their side of the pit while waiting Vorj to get Burdur out.
- W H A T ! ? !
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Burdur, if you have no rope we can get the one Gnorric used for the device. But this means we have to split...leave you in the pit with one of us as guard while the others fetch the rope."
- W H A T ! ? !
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"Oh, great... Well, I'm not going anywhere. Perhaps throw down that table the cultists used, I could step on it and then perhaps climb out. " Burdur offers. "Could be useful to cross this thrice accursed pit to reach the other side"
My DMGuild work!