Birthright 3: The Worm's Supper, Chapter 5

Online roleplaying at the Café
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright 3: The Worm's Supper, Chapter 5

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

Searchers

Roald shrugs. "I suppose that's a plan." He moves to help Sir Boarhort with the bed.
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Filbert and Termelan

Even if he has been in Shadowrealm many times everytime he is back Filbert ehxales heavily as if they were lucky to return alive and maybe they were. Forcing a smile he replies:

"Indeed that's what we need to do. Your first shadow travel was a success but it isn't always that simple. Tomorrow we can search for the house we saw if of course we will not have a meeting with Caine . Depends on Lady Safana that one."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

SEARCHERS

"We can try to get that coffer in front of the door, too. Holds plenty enough coin--might make a good enough barricade. Then we should try looking for other ways out. I don't like the idea of getting coated with slime, but that chute might be our last resort if all else fails..."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:SEARCHERS

"We can try to get that coffer in front of the door, too. Holds plenty enough coin--might make a good enough barricade. Then we should try looking for other ways out. I don't like the idea of getting coated with slime, but that chute might be our last resort if all else fails..."

The adjacent room fills with the noise of stamping, squealing, grunting Orogs.
Everyone hears it through the closed door. The children begin weeping.
The party has just enough time to wedge the bent iron bed-frame bed-frame into the stone arch of the doorway. Sparks fly where the wrought iron scrapes against the masonry. The frame makes a hollow thud as it impacts the inner side of the battered door panel (the party knocked that door in, but did not demolish it like the front doors), bracing the door from swinging in on its hinges.

The panel rattles against the frame. It shakes. The frame groans as something strikes the door from the opposite side and shoves hard.
Thud.
Thud.
Thud.

Renn's men grab choice jewels from the big coffer and then cram its bulk into the base of the frame, for added stability.

The force slamming the door on the far side splits the panel in half. Splinters fall through gaps in the frame.

The children crawl into the waste chute, gripping the rim with their fingers, prepared to slide down if the horrors break into the chamber.

Sir Boarhort, sweat dripping from his face, leans into the frame.
"It won't hold much longer!"

Others aid the fat knight.

But the door panel begins falling away in hunks of busted wood, the gaps revealing the leering faces or orogs massed on the far side. The creatures grind against the falling wreck of the door, grunting with sick pleasure despite long splinters driven into their hands and snouts.

Sir Boarhort, Renn, Roald, and the others can push back against the heavy iron barricade, a few men against many monsters. With each surging rush, the orogs drive the barricade inward another inch. Soon, very soon, the frame will crumple or the men will tire and then...

The Bard of the Sielwode cries out, "Hurry! I found a door!"

Anyone looking back sees her standing in the far corner of the room, before a vertical gap in the masonry. A torn, pinkish wall hanging lies on the floor near her feet.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

Searchers

Roald looks over his shoulder and smiles in relief when he sees there is a way out, even as his boots scrap against the ground as the monsters on the other side of the barricade push.

"Hurrying sounds like a good idea. Get the little ones out first. Sir Boarhort and I will cover the retreat!"
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Varrus the Ethical wrote:Searchers

Roald looks over his shoulder and smiles in relief when he sees there is a way out, even as his boots scrap against the ground as the monsters on the other side of the barricade push.

"Hurrying sounds like a good idea. Get the little ones out first. Sir Boarhort and I will cover the retreat!"

THE PARTY flees, with the children, through the concealed doorway into a narrow, darkened passage beyond it.

Roald and Boarhort exit last, stepping backward with weapons raised to guard the retreat of the others. The Orogs knock the bent iron bed frame down and pour through the doorway, tripping and falling over one another in their haste to enter the bedchamber.
Boarhort shoves Roald through the doorway in the corner of the room. The obese knight then squeezes through with sparks flying from his cuirass where it strikes the masonry edges of the secret passage. Orogs grab at his shield arm, but with help from the other men, Boarhort tears free.

The Bard throws a lever on the inner passage wall and the stonework of the concealed door swings shut with a loud crunch.
Cormac's torch shows only a vertical crack on the masonry where the door had stood open a moment before.
Blood drips down the crack from about four feet above the floor. Severed orog fingers litter the floor near the base of the closed door.

No sooner than the party has recovered its bearings and caught its collective breath, but the sound of frenzied scrabbling and pounding comes from the other side of the wall, within the room they've just escaped.

The Bard jogs down the shadowy hall. "They'll find the opening catch soon enough. We'd better hurry!"

The party flees down the passageway...

END OF CHAPTER FIVE
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)