The Halls of Medeia - Chapter 1

Online roleplaying at the Café
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Re: The Halls of Medeia - Chapter 1

Post by A G Thing »

Christine for a moment doesn't say anything but looks to both Oliver and Niles as if lost on what to do. Looking between them as if hoping they have a way to prevent this.

"But... I came back... I shouldn't... (sob, hic) It's not safe... You... No... I trusted you! You said... (sob) Olly? You said I should... (sob) Please! (Sob) You said it would be... That I should... It's not...(sob) You know I can't... I told you... I told you WHY!?" Distraught and on the seeming edge of panic Christine nearly screams the last word at both Oliver and strangely in part it seems at Georgina with little accusation and more of a pitiful confusion in her voice and eyes as she tries to back away casting terrified glances around at all those there. Her vision stops with her eyes resting on those of the older holy man before her. "Father Niles!?! I can't... Not with Miss Fairfax... (Sob) no...NO! I can't... I... We... Please no... (sob) I shouldn't be here... I... (Sob, sob) I can't... Why? Why did I? (Sob) I shouldn't have..."

Looking wildly at the man she moves back further as if she is trying to run, but as she backpedals and falls too the ground, her injured leg giving way, she wraps her arms around her body before she does. She lays there on her side wincing and sobs heavily continuing to hold her herself as she shakes her head back and forth blinking her red teary eyes. Christine wails and sobs pitifully low as if through her teeth while her breath seems nearly to the point of hyperventilation. "No... Please no... (Sob, hic, sob) No... God!"
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

Niles is about to agree with Miss Fairfax when Christine burst into tears again.

"It seems Christine is too distraught to give anyone a clear story at the present. May you and Oliver not speak in your office, while Mr " here Niles looks to the confessed conspirator for confirmation of the name, "... Eddisford and I help the young lady to collect herself. We can bring her to speak to you when she's in a more talkative state."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Victoria looks at the young theologian, trying to measure him up. But it doesn't take her long to agree, even with a hint of a smile.

"Yes, that can be done. But I wonder what you need Mr Eddisford for. What is his connection with all of this, again?"

Meanwhile, Oliver seems to have gone a little pale, and to involuntarily shiver.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by A G Thing »

Christine does not move from her position but she does speak through her tears once more.

"Please Olly... Oliver... (sob) You're my friend... (sniff, hic) Y... You can't... (hic, sob) Don't... You promised... (sob) You said... You, would help me! (Sob, hic, sob) You saved me! You can't leave!!! (SOB,SOB) You can't tell!!! Please!?!"

She nearly whines the last words painfully as she lies there her puffy red tear filled eyes seem lost except in them not leaving Oliver though they are somewhat blocked by her long red hair and her glasses askew on her face. Her mouth through the gaps in her mane seems to be a line of quivering worry after the confused, hurt, desperate words as her breathing seems raggedly pushed in and out through her mouth past a clogged nose.

Her body laying there cringes in on itself and trembles as she waits while she hugs herself waiting for Oliver to respond.
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

Although relieved that her outburst has taken attention from Mr. Eddisford, Niles is more concerned for Christine than before, now that she has implied that she and Oliver have some unpleasant secret. Surely they couldn't be involved ...

"Oliver would be away for only a moment or two to explain what has happened," the young deacon says, "but if you would prefer for us all discuss this together as she first suggested, I'm certain that could be arranged as well. No one here wants anything except what will be best for all the students."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"I am tired of all this back and forth", Victoria says.
"Mr Eddisford and Miss Sargant, you may go. Everyone else, we will talk and go to the bottom of this matter in my office. Now!"

Georgina looks around, somewhat disappointed that she will not be present. She hesitates, trying to find an excuse to stay but finally decides to depart, the look she cast at Christine piercing more than a Chinese needles.

Eddisford, on the other hand, seeing the mood the Vice-headmistress was in, took the hint to leave as fast as he could, in the opposite direction to Georgina. but only after addressing a slight nod to Niles.

Victoria started imperiously towards the main building, leading the way to her office.
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

Niles makes a gesture of farewell to Eddisford, then bows his head and follows the Headmistress to her office.

Assuming Christine and Oliver also follow, Niles walks in step with them and does his best to put them at ease with quiet reassurances.
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by A G Thing »

Christine hearing the notes of finality looks around as both Eddisford and Georgina depart. Under the glare of the rather spiteful Georgina however she flinches a bit more out of acting than any genuine feeling inspired by the look.

Looking to the others she eventually rises to her feet unsteadily and with her head in her hands hobbles next to Oliver. Leaning on to him she whispers as gently as she can into his ear when they all begin following Headmistress Victoria. The look on her face a sad but seemingly reserved smile.

"Thank you Olly... You did great... I'll tell her..."

Christine then looking ahead, clinging to his arm remains silently watching the feet of the woman ahead of them from here on in until they reach the office other than the occasional muffled sob.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Victoria leads the group to her office, the priest Niles at the fore, then the distraught Christine and Oliver.

Once in her seat of power, she locks the door behind them, as seems to be her usual practice, sits and says.

"It is very unusual for students to leave the grounds at night, even to not sleep in their beds! And I have learned that the two of you, Christine and Oliver, have done so. Would you like to explain me your motives, please?

Or would you prefer Father Niles to start by telling us what he knows?"
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by A G Thing »

Christine steps forward and with her head lowered speaks up in her shaky voice.

"It was my fault Miss Victoria... I... I mentioned my reason to leave to Oliver and he followed me. He did it to try and stop me... I was trying to... To leave..."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Oliver flinches just a bit as he hears Christine's new version.

"Nonsense, Miss Fairfax. Christine is trying to be noble and effacing my guilt, trying to save me from my deserved punishment. It was I who wanted to go out to town; Christine tried to stop me, and broke her foot... I think."

"Broke her foot? Why didn't you say earlier? We must tend to that at once. Father Niles, do you have any first aid skills?"

Before Niles even has time to respond, she rises, unlocks the door and pulls a cordon bell. Then looks at the priest to know his answer.
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

Niles responds, "I do have a bit of training in first aid."

"Would you mind if I took a look, Christine?" he asks, turning to Christine with a look of concern.

"It would be best for the injury to be examined before circumstances aggravate it further - as the walk here must already have done. Why didn't you mention you had been hurt?"
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"Good, father Niles. Please see what you can do. I am calling a maid to help take her to the nurse. Meanwhile, Oliver... despite your confession, there are things I do not understand here, and I would like to get to the bottom of this before I decide if, or how, I have to punish you."
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by A G Thing »

Watching the events play out while trying to still seem distraught, Christine wonders what Oliver is doing but also now what direction he is trying to take by his own story.

"Miss Victoria! Wait! Oliver... Don't... You saved me out there. You're the one trying to be chivalrous! You're the hero, not me. I was trying to run away." Christine speaks up before Oliver's story can write them into a corner. Her hand holding her hat in her lap while the other fidgeted with her hair and adjusted her glasses.

But she also answers Niles as he questions her a bit. "F... Father... It's just a bit twisted. I don't think it is broken. I have had to walk on it a bit but I had it looked at." Looking to the kind holy man who she had hoped to be explaining far more to now it was frustrating to keep her mask in place but she did.
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

Niles relaxes a bit when Christine mentions that her injury has already been tended, but still comes over to examine it himself.

"With yer walk here, it may have worsened since twas last seen to," he explains.

First Aid Check:
VIEW CONTENT:
[dice]1[/dice] + 6