Realms of Dread- declassified material

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Realms of Dread- declassified material

Post by ewancummins »

Note to anyone reading this. It may look disjointed and confusing at first. It's been cobbled together out of snippets of PMs. I removed most, but not all, OOC stuff. Some editing sill needs to be done. It does not read like a short story and is NOT intended to do so. I've simply re-posted relevant PMs, in chronological order, so that players from the Realms of Dread campaign (and anyone else interested) can peek behind the scenes and see what Rardi was doing.

Thanks to Tarlyn for saving and compiling this stuff.

How Narisa Jihb got her hands on the relics from Morningmist Hall:

The young acolyte, Mikam, is sweeping the floor of one of the several sub-shrines when Narisa finds him. The young man, hardly more than a boy-really, looks up as the elf cleric approaches.

''Oh, well-met, Dawnbringer Narisa. How does the night find you?

The elf smiles back at him. "Oh quite well, thank you. I see you are busy with your duties. I remember when I used to sweep my Temple. You know, last night I was too shy to ask you, but have you ever been in the reliquary? I have always wanted to see the casket but was doubtful I'd get to."

She leans in to him and looks around, whispering "Do you think I could see it? It would be an honor for someone like me to actually set my eyes on it. I'd be really grateful if I did see it."

''Well, sure. But we'll have to get permission from Dawnlord Thumast Alfane. He's an assistant to the chief priests, you see. He's got they key to the relics room. ''
OOC: You're a bastard! Same dude gave Rardi the oil lmao! Ok can anyone at least visit the reliquary without needing a key, meaning can Narisa head there by herself? And look around. If she gets caught she'll just say she wanted to look around type of thing.

IC: Narisa seems to think a moment. "I really don't want to be a bother. If ye think I can see it tonight that would be fine. If not, it is no big deal either, friend."
''Well, the Dawnlord was still awake when last I saw him in his quarters. You could check with him. He's praying for one of our clerics who have been falsely accused of murder, Rardi...hummm...I don't remember the rest of her name. Anyway, she's going to be tried...ummm.in absentia? Yeah, there is a trial tomorrow! He’s really worried about her.

I'm really sorry to hear about this Rardi person. In absentia, you say? Is she missing? Hmm, I don't know if he'll allow me to go see, but it is worth a try. Let's go see him, if it's not too much a bother fer ye."

''I think she's missing, I dunno. Okay, let's go.''

The boy takes Narisa straight to the office of Thumast Alfane. Narisa [Rardi] immediately recognizes the man at the desk as Alfane. He's rubbing his bleary eyes and poring over a stack of parchment sheets.

The Dawnlord looks up as the two enter his space.

''Oh, what is it?"'

"Pardon me for disturbing ye, Dawnlord Alfane. I am Narisa, Narisa Jhib, Dawnbringer. I am in the city fer but a few days and though I know it is late, and I do see yer busy with some reading. It would be an honor to see the casket. The young man here tells me I must ask you for permission, and this is what I am doing."

''The Casket of Samos? You want to see it now? I was about to go to sleep...there's an important trial tomorrow. Although, maybe it would do us all good to be in the presence of the holy relic for a little while? Alright, come with me.''

Thumast Alfane gets to his feet and prepares to lead the way...
Narisa prepares to follow...

Thumast Alfane takes Rardi/Narisa leads through the back halls of Morningmist Hall, to a service passage that ends in a locked oak door [reinforced with iron bands]. The door has no obvious lock, only a brass plate where a lock should be. Thumast places his hand over the plate and whispers softly

''Open in the name of Lathander.''
The doors swings open noiselessly.

Inside, the room is about twenty feet square with a ten foot ceiling. The light within the room is almost as bright as daylight and comes not from lanterns, but from polished copper and glass plates set into the ceiling which glow with heatless magical flame.
Treasures fill the chamber: ancient books in glass cases, icons of marble and gold, gem studded bowls, etc. In the midst of all this treasure, on a beautifully carved stone table in the very center of the room, rests a coffin of quartz. Within the crystal box is the perfectly preserved body of a tall and beautiful human woman. He long golden hair is neatly arranged in two braids. She is clad in the rich red robes of a priestess of Lathander.

''Behold, the Casket of Samos- and blessed Samos herself. Do you know the story? ''

Looking around a little, a normal reaction, Narisa turns to Alfane. "No, I don't know his tale. Do enlighten me."

The coffin may very well have magical properties. Certainly, the body inside is perfectly preserved. It doesn't look like embalming, either.

There are various glyphs carved on various parts of the stone table that supports the coffin. Some of these glyphs look magical- probably wards or alarms of some kind.

Tale of Samos

Samos came from Old Chondath in the early days of Cormyrian settlement, when men were still settling the wilds of the Forest Kingdom- a sylvan realm divided between elves and monsters that is now modern Cormyr. She travelled through the country, fighting monsters and aiding the human settlers in many ways. She built many small shrines to her patron god, Lathander, some of which later grew to be important centers of his church. Samos' greatest battle was against the wyvern Bluetongue. Samos slew the monster, but was poisoned and mortally wounded...

Samos came from Old Chondath in the early days of Cormyrian settlement, when men were still settling the wilds of the Forest Kingdom- a sylvan realm divided between elves and monsters that is now modern Cormyr. She travelled through the country, fighting monsters and aiding the human settlers in many ways. She built many small shrines to her patron god, Lathander, some of which later grew to be important centers of his church. Samos' greatest battle was against the wyvern Bluetongue. Samos slew the monster, but was poisoned and mortally wounded. Samos' follower, Meshak, reached Samos' side too late to save her. He created a magical crystal casket to hold her body.

Since the days of Samos, miracles have been associated with the casket and the body of the holy one within it. The casket/Samos' remains possess the power to cure or negate poisons by merely pressing hands or even fingertips against the crystal. More than that, it is said that visions may come with the dawn, to those clerics or devout followers of Lathander who pray a solitary night-long vigil over Samos.

The relic is very important to the local cult of Lathander, but it is only taken out or displayed on holy days.

OOC from Tarlyn-
Narisa will do a spellcraft check on how the door was opened as well, or arcane for that matter. Whatever art objects she will see she will try to remember them all. These are important to the plan. The next day we will leave early and head to where she knows she can hire thieves, assassins etc and spend the day in that area, trying to see which would be the best bet for what she needs

OOC from the DM- It's about midnight when you see the vault. Spellcraft note: Thumast Alfane was not necessarily casting a spell to open the door. The door may be magically keyed to open only for a certain class of people- like priests of Lathander, or even certain individuals.

After Narisa/Rardi has finished seeing what she came to see and made her excuses, Thumast Alfane leads the visitors out of the relics room and closes the door behind him. He turns no key, but a clicking sound can still be heard, as of a mechanism locking behind him.

Narisa gets maybe six hours of sleep, then rises early to search for a gang of thieves willing to hire on for the big heist. Her search leads her to a rundown waterfront bar, the sign of which is so faded she can barely make out the emblem of a sailing ship with blue sails and the faded scroll: BLUE LADY. Short on coin, Narisa has no easy way to pay for drinks. Still, asking about gets her an interview with one Hoprig, a 'house mover' [that's the local underworld slang for a professional burglar. The burglar is a slightly overweight man with old pox-scars running across his face from ear to ear. Hoprig has a couple of cronies with him- both dirty, weasely looking types.

''So, ya gots a job fer me an' the lads, elf-girl? Whazzit, something big? Izzer gonna be fat coin? We only takes fat coin commissions, no penny-ante stuff.''

Looking around, Narisa then leans in closer to Hoprig, speaking in a very low voice so he is the only one who can hear her. "Ye, I do got a very lucrative job fer ye. All the art objects galore for you and your crew, but I need only one item. A casket from the reliquary in the Temple of Lathander. I've seen the inside meself and all the nice art objects that would more than pay for your job. It won't be easy, I can assure you. I only want the casket, the rest you and youra can keep, you see. No questions asked, just need the job done by professionals such as you and yer men."

Narisa then goes into a description of how to open the door, that the casket is protected by wards and magic, stressing once again how she only wants the casket. Whatever else is inside the reliquary is their payment and she assures him it more than enough to pay for their job. She also stresses no witnesses are to be left at the scene and that Thumfast is the one who seems to be able to open the door from the brass plate by saying those few words. So not only will assassins or thieves very well educated in leaving no witnesses behind be needed, but as well a spell caster capable of undoing the wards and magic. This is what she thinks and tells him that at any rate. Of course she has no experience and will ask him what he thinks. Why not, he is the one who knows what he's doing, she is not. If he accepts, then she will accompany them and if needed, she can give the oil of daylight as a down payment for the job. Her name is Ereint if asked. If not perhaps he can refer her to someone who can accomplish the task, of course he'd get a commission for the referral. Also tells where to deliver the coffin as she can't carry it by herself!

Horpig is happy with the oil as a down payment/retainer. He's more than happy to sign on for the job, once he hears of the loot.

'' Ereint, fer such fat coin as that, we are yer men. We aint in the business of leaving witnesses, don't worry. I knows a witcher-man what can help us, name of Hob. ''

Perfect. When can you start? The sooner it is done, is better for all of us. I am presuming you are a master at discretion, my dear Hoprig?"

''We can today, or tonight. Haf to fetch Hob first, of course.''

Hoprig sends one of his gang to go fetch Hob, while he continues to conspire quietly with 'Ereint'.

''Way I figure this; we go in tonight and grab this Thumast fella. He's the one what can open the door, ya say? Right. We grab him and make him open it. We get inside the treasure room and we grabs all the fat loot. Getting the big crystal box is the only hard part, seems like. ''

It isn't long before Hob shows up: a lanky man with dirty blond hair that looks as if it’s been barbered with a knife. He wears a drab dun cloak and plain clothing. He wears a backpack, as well.

'' Well met, I'm Hob. So, let's talk about this job. I suggest we go to a backroom, though.''

Hob looks about nervously, eyes picking through the crowd.

''The damned militia has been busy in this end of town more than usual of late, making things hard for honest tradesmen like me.''

'How are we getting inside the building? You gots a way in fer us, or are we breaking in?''

Hob speaks up-

''Sounds to me as if Ereint knows Alfane and has herself been inside the temple and even the vault. Maybe she can get us inside the temple without the need for breaking in... Well?''

I can get us in. It is open all night. We can all enter separately."

Hob and Hoprig both nod at that.

''Good idea,''

says Hob.

''Ya, thaz good. Hob, ya got any magic to help us move the coffin?''

''Yes, I've got a spell that ought to be able to get it outside, even to the drop off point, in fact. ''
Narisa raises an eyebrow at that admission. Turning to him, she asks

"Is that so? What spell might that be? I am somewhat learned about spell craft."
''It conjures an invisible disk of force. The disk will last for hours and carry considerable weight. Best of all, it will follow me. It's extremely useful for lifting heavy furniture.''

Hob smiles.

Hob tells you that he'll need an extra day to prepare the right spells for the job. Hoprig and his men don't mind waiting. They do insist that 'Ereint' come along on the job, to make certain that things go well. No one expects her to get her hands dirty breaking into things or dealing with witnesses. She is the only one who can positively identify Aflane. She can also guide them straight to the vault, and even provide an excuse if they are caught wandering the halls after dark.

The rest of the day passes quietly for Narisa/Rardi. When she returns to Morningmist Hall, she finds that nothing much has changed since she'd left. Mikam, the young acolyte, has changed her sheets and swept her room. He is pleased to see her, greeting her with a friendly ''well-met.'' Mikam has even though to save some food for Rardi: green apples, cold roast chicken, white wine, bread, and a wheel of cheese. Having been up so late last night, and being short on sleep and still a bit uneasy in her new body, Rardi soon falls asleep in her room.

The next day, Rardi is asked to help administer blessings to the faithful at the sunrise celebration. All manner of worshippers enter, but it is the poor folks who make up the greatest number. Their worn and weary faces light with hope and even joy as they enter the beautiful stone temple and hear the words of Lathander's priests, encouraging them to have hope for the future. Some priests cast minor healing spells, and Rardi can see that no one is charged for this- although many worshippers have brought small votive offerings or thrown a few coins in the kitty.

Despite the fact that that Lathander has rejected Rardi, the blessings (non-magical in nature) she delivers proceed without any obvious sign of divine displeasure. Thumast Alfane is present, and even compliments Rardi on her handling of the ceremonies.

''You've got the common touch, Narisa. The ordinary working folk- they can see that you really understand them. I do hope that you'll consider hanging on with us for a bit longer.''

Rardi is free after breakfast, so she has plenty of time to sleep- and thus be ready for tonight's work.

Rising from bed a little before dark, Rardi passes through the halls of the temple as silently as she may, though her footsteps seem to loudly echo in the stillness. Her new form needs at least some light to see, so a candle must be employed.

Checking the halls and dormitories shows her that most of the temple priests and acolytes have already gone to sleep. After all, most of them must be up before dawn!

Rardi hears a low whistle behind her-

Turning; she spots Hoprig, Hob, and the two weaselly-looking men- all emerging from behind a curtain.

Hoprig hurries over.

''Heh, we're in. Now we finds that Thumast fella and grabs him. Heh.''

With Rardi leading the way [Hoprig insists- he wants to be sure he's got the right room], the gang heads for Thumast Alfane's room.

As the gang prepares to knock on Thumast's door one of Hoprig's men pulls out a length of rope.

Just then, Mikam comes down the hall, a broom in hand.

''Dawnbringer Narisa? Is that you?''

Hoprig's second weasel-faced ally rushes the boy and seizes him, placing a knife at his throat.
''Don't talk or I'll slit your throat.''

Mikam complies, remaining silent but shaking like a leaf. His pleading eyes go to Narisa, but of course she doesn't help him.

At that moment, Thumast Alfane opens his door. He looks at Narisa, blinking and rubbing his eyes.

''Did you want something. I though I heard.’’

He cranes his head into the hall, and Hoprig strikes him on the crown with a heavy sap.

Narisa/Rardi leads her thieves through the silent temple, to the relic room. The gang drags both Thumast Alfane and young Mikam along with them as they travel.

At the door, Hoprig shoves the unconscious Alfane against a wall. He slaps the man a few times to rouse him. Alfane begins to cry out, but his breath rushes out of him when Hoprig punches him in the groin. Alfane slumps to the floor, groaning softly. Hoprig squats atop him and jerks his head up to face the thug holding young Mikam as a hostage.

''Open the door, or we'll slit iz gizzard, priest. I aint joking.''

Thumast shoots a confused look at Narisa. The look gradually curdles, as disgust overtakes him.

''You betrayed us.''

''Shut yer mouth. Just open that door, or the boy gets slit.''

Thumast grudgingly complies.

The door wings open.

''Alright, it's open. Don't hurt the boy.''

''You heard the man.''

The weasel-faced knifeman jerks his blade across Mikam's throat and bright red blood spurts out, staining the wall.

Thumast barely has time to react when Hoprig stabs him in the back. Hoprig twists the knife and tears it free, then stabs three more times. Thumast Alfane collapses to the floor in a welter of blood. He lands facing Narisa, his eyes accusing to the last, as his life slips away...

''Right, Hob, do yer magics.''

Hob mutters a spell, waits, then mutters another incantation.

''Alright, I've disabled the alarm, I think. We need to move quickly. I will summon invisible carriers for the casket. The rest, you fellows will have to bag.''

Hoprig cuts out the tongues of both victims. Hoprig's men drag the two corpses into the vault.

The gang is expert at looting and has cleared out all of the small valuables plus the casket of Samos, within a matter of minutes. Borne along by Hob's invisible carriers, the crystal casket floats behind the criminal mage as he exits the vault

With the bodies hidden inside the vault and the door once again closed, only the dark bloodstains in the hall show that a crime has happened here, and those are not too visible by candlelight- to human eyes. Narisa can see them just fine.

The gang escapes easily enough. Narisa may join them or she may trust them to make delivery to the Fane of Myrkul without her...

Joining the evil cult

After the delivery is made, Narisa [Ereint to the thieves] receives words of praise from the Undead Master, Vakros.

''Good, good. Very quick job, only two days.''

Yes it was fast. And we left no witnesses,"
to which now relaxed of the whole ordeal, Narisa begins laughing so hard, cackling even. Once done, she grins at the Undead Master. "Now what is the nest step, Master?"

''Now that you have passed the second test, we will take you to an altar and prepare to initiate you into our cult. If our god accepts you, your re-training shall begin at once. If he does not, we will kill you, of course.''

"Very well then, let Myrkul decide me fate, I be ready." She moves to follow the Undead Master out to an altar.

Vakros tells Narisa

''We must prepare you for the ritual. Take off all your clothes. Close your eyes and stand perfectly still. ''

OOC: Looking back after she undresses "Should I grab my ankles?"" Sorry, couldn't resist, bwahahahahaahahah!!!!!!!!

IC: Nodding, she grabs her robe from the bottom and lifts it over her head, folding it and handing it to the Undead Master. Closing her eyes, she now waits.

Vakros chuckles at the joke.

''No.''

Narisa feels a blindfold being tied across her eyes. Then she feels a rough, scratchy thing fall on her neck and shoulders. It's a rope- and it is suddenly tightened with a tug! She can still breathe, but she's now very much aware of the noose. A not-so-gentle tug brings her to her feet.

''Follow. ''

Unsure, but adamant in her belief she will be accepted as a Priestess of Myrkul, she follows without hesitation. Speaking in a clear voice "I accept Myrkul's decision without hesitation, Undead Master Vakros. May he accept me into his fold or not, I have done what I must."

Vakros does not reply, but, using the rope, leads Narisa out of the room....

Vakros [or whoever it is holding that rope...] leads Narisa through a series of hallways or rooms, doors, etc. She cannot see, but she bumps or brushes against a wall now and then, or hears a door opening or closing.

After several minutes' walking, the rope tugs twice.

Vakros' voice-

''Stop...''

Once Narisa/Rardi halts, Vakros speaks again-

''Rardi Silverhelm, do you renounce and deny your old name, you former life, and your service and fealty to the God of Dawn?''
"Yea I do. I didn't go through all that planning an' steal an artifact for me health. Tis tha reason I be here."
Vakros whispers in her ear-

''Keep your answers short- or your life will be short, as well. ''

Then,

''Do you swear to faithfully serve the King of the Dead for all eternity?''

Keeping her eyes closed "Yes."

''Advance ten paces and kneel.''

Advancing ten paces, she kneels.

''Repeat after me, aspirant-

If I ever I should betray the Lord of Bones or the fellowship of his priests, may my bowels cut open and made food for vultures whiles yet I live, my eyes be seared shut with hot irons, and my tongue be torn from its rooting. ''

"If I ever I should betray the Lord of Bones or the fellowship of his priests, may my bowels cut open and made food for vultures whiles yet I live, my eyes be seared shut with hot irons, and my tongue be torn from its rooting. ''

'' And if I prove False to the Reaper, may all the torments of the damned be visited upon my immortal soul, for time without end.''

'' And if I prove False to the Reaper, may all the torments of the damned be visited upon my immortal soul, for time without end.''

''If I should forsake the service of Myrkul, may no grave hold my body in peaceful repose. May it become a house for evil spirits, and visit torment and death upon all them that I once loved or held as friends, saving only them that are in the service of Myrkul.''

''I pledge to keep secret from outsiders the inner mysteries of the faith.''

''I pledge to work with my brothers to advance the interests of the cult, even above my own wants and needs.''

''I pledge to honor all the rites and ceremonies pertaining to the worship of Most Dread Myrkul.''

''I pledge to carry out the will of my patron god, Great Myrkul the King-of-the-Grave, even to my own physical destruction- trusting that Myrkul shall reward his faithful ones, who shall enjoy a place of honor in the Halls of the Dead.''

''All these things I swear by the name of Myrkul, with all the power of my will, and in remembrance that I am mortal and must one day face judgment in the City of the Dead.''

''All these things I swear by the name of Myrkul, with all the power of my will, and in remembrance that I am mortal and must one day face judgment in the City of the Dead.''

Voices coming from the darkness behind Narisa begin to chant in a tongue she does not know. The words set her skin to crawling, nevertheless.

Μεγάλο Myrkul, βασιλιάς των νεκρών, στέλνει το πνεύμα σας στο πτώμα που κάθεται πριν εμείς και μιλήστε σε μας, κύριος φόβου.

The blindfold is removed.

Narisa finds herself kneeling in front a bone-white marble altar, which is carved with macabre motifs and baleful runes. Atop the altar table are four lit candles of black wax. An alcove in the wall behind the altar holds and enthroned body. The figure is obviously dead, with sightless pits where eyes had once been and with flesh withered to the bones like old parchment. It wears faded robes of black cloth and a white rope belt.

The air seems to freeze to stillness, so that even Narisa's breath is caught in her chest and she cannot speak.

The candles flicker low.

The dead thing on the throne stirs. It speaks, its voice cold and hollow, filling the room:

''Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me. ''

Now, Vakros, standing behind Narisa, raises his head from an attitude of prayer and speaks.

''The King of the Dead accepts the woman as his servant. Let all present bear witness- she is one of us now.''

The candles go out and Narisa hears feet rushing over the stone floor to surround her. Many pairs of cold hands rub over her naked body in a wholly un-sexual way, coating her with some dry substance.

Now that she can in fact look around, she looks for Vakros. Unsure of what to do after the substance is applied to her body, Narisa waits for further instructions. She is relieved she has now been accepted into the fold of Myrkul.

There is no light, so Narisa is blind in the pitch-blackness.

Hands pull her across the floor.

She emerges into a torchlight room, the walls of which are lined with scrolls and books.

Vakros enters.

''Good. Now we begin your education, Daring Death Narisa.''

Planning more evil deeds-

A meeting with her henchmen...
Hoprig suggests ripping off '' some of those stupid adventurer-types- they always have lots of nice loot. We need to find some and steal their stuff. Best part is, if you don't let 'em see you, you can leave 'em alive and then rob 'em again later, when they've got new jink. It's fun and profitable, too!''

Narisa laughs at Hoprig's suggestion. Ha ha ha! Maybe I could help with magical means so they don't see us, or even are", she leans in at her next words, grinning "Um silenced as well? I can cause blindness as well via a spell. This is sounding like such a fun outing, you sly dag! Yer a man after me own heart, Hoprig. I like yer style, sir. Plus, we seem to have so much fun together!" She laughs lightly at her own joke, sitting back and winking at the heavy man.

"So, what do you think?"

Hoprig-
''I likes yer ways, too, elf. Now, who are we gonna rob first? ''

Chatting with her evil mentor-
Shortly after her evening meal, the elf heads for Undead Master Vakros' office for more of her training. Knocking, she hears "Enter" and does so.

Closing the door behind her, she moves to a chair and once Vakros acknowledges her with a nod, she sits. "Master, good evening. During this day, I have meditated and have thought of somethin that would put our Temple on very good terms with tha city o' Marsember. As you already know, there was some trouble recently with undead 'ere. With the Necromancer Delthrin gone o'er to our great deity, would it not be good for public relations of our Fane if one of our sect joined tha militia to help the city in some way?"

OOC: Narisa doesn't mention anything about her dealings once more with Hoprig, but if she does have any items at this time and he questions her, she won't lie to him.

Ah yes, one thing. When Narisa is in or around the Temple she is called Daring Death Narisa. Now outside of the Temple if she would call herself that, civilized people would understand what that means, right?

''You wish to join the militia....alright. First you must complete your initial training here, of course. ''

Narisa's training is both time-consuming and tiring. She spends most of her time studying Myrkulite philosophy, rituals, etc under Vakros. She rests in a stone alcove with a wad of moldy shrouds as blankets and dines on crude fare. Vakros frowns and scolds her if she should lose focus- but he's also quite ready to praise her when she demonstrates progress with her studies.

Another lesson begins-

''Today we will learn of how our master became a god, Narisa...''

Hoprig has heard of some gnomes that sell magical weapons and other special items. Ripping them off might be very dangerous- but it could provide a fat load of loot- including magic items! Any interest from 'Ereint' on that one?

Gnomes eh? I also know they know have some pretty powerful frien's, so I dun want them after me after. I be sure bein smart gnomes they prolly would recognize their items if'n they'd see em on me. I knows fer a fact that they ain ta be messed with, Hoprig. Maybe anuther mark?"

Ereint is adamant to Hoprig about this and it appears she won't change her mind.

''Okay- let me find an easier mark. Give me a few days, Ereint.''

Continuing with her lessons, Narisa waits for a moment and tells Master Vakros of a concern of hers. "Master Vakros, what if they search for those responsible for what happened at the Temple of Lathander? This sort o bothers me some. The criminal dun know me real name, and o course the dead ones ain' got no tongues and their throats are slit. Could be that they ask Lathander hisself fer yes n no answers, if'n ye get me meanin', sir."

''That is possible, yes. Be on your guard. It would not do to have our involvement with the crimes become known to the militia.''

Narisa spends her waking hours practicing controlling the newly created undead. She studies them closely, learning how they move, what they can do. She tests their limits to see what they are capable of doing and not capable of doing.

One of these sessions, she will ask Undead Master Vakros if there is a way to make her undead band even more powerful. "What I mean, Master Vakros, is when I am sure of my abilities in controlling these undead, I want to be able to use them without anyone tampering with them, especially those filthy good clerics who will only want to destroy my little army. I must tell you I have more than accepted my new fate and relish doing the work of our great deity Myrkul!"

Narisa laughs heartily at her last comment.

''By channeling negative energy, in the same way you'd use it to rebuke undead, you may bolster undead under your control against the turning attempts of other clerics. Indeed, it's quite easy. Let us practice...''

He shows Narisa how to rebuke/command/bolster undead using her negative energy channeling powers.

''You are doubtless near your maximum capacity for controlling undead that you have personally created-, but if you were to capture other undead, you could gain more slaves. Why don't you seek out the remnants of that undead army that attacked the city? I suspect that at least some of those creatures escaped the fires and Delthrin's purge. You can attempt to command the survivors, and thus add to your pool of servants. Any who resist your control, you ought to destroy. ''

Rardi/Narisa "Yes Master, I agree, though I must just remind you that they may be looking for me for the havoc I wreaked in the Lathanderite temple, Master." This she says proudly with a huge grin on her face.

Vakros-

''Yes, of course. Hmmmm...Your former militia comrades might uncover the truth- not only about the robbery and murders- but about whom you really are- or were. That would be a major problem, not just for our cult, but for you personally. I suggest that you nip this in the bud by killing those who knew Rardi too well. ''

''Balzar and Archedius are out of the picture? Fine. Targeting Threan just now would be very foolish. Rardi Silverhelm has good reason to hate that little snitch, and her former friends know that well- do they not? It's too obvious. Attack him and you may well lead the others to you...and I doubt that they will understand of the choices you've made. No, I suggest targeting the others for elimination, first, starting with the spellcasters- or with Rask.''

Vakros rubs his chin.

''Another possibility is that we could go ahead with your plan of joining the militia. You could then subtly work to misdirect the entire investigation; maybe frame someone else for the crime. Of course, that plan could easily misfire, and lead to you being caught. ''

Rardi-
"Hmmm....... Master is there not a spell to hide my presence from spells called Non Detection? I could join the militia under the pretense of helping but as the rest of this party is working for them, I am unsure as to whut would 'appen. I do still 'ave me speech, Master. "

"In passing, I do trust this Hoprig and his men thus far. I could possible try to find an item that would alter my appearance? This would help greatly in hiding this presence along with the Non Detection spell, Master. Perhaps this Hoprig has access to such an item, but I have nothing to offer in return. I so have a positive relationship with the man given our previous business arrangements. I gather he think rather highly of me given I only took the casket and he got the rest of the loot. You should have seen their work, Master. Their tongues cut out and throats slit. I almost asked for the tongues as a souvenir of the foolish Lathander priest and his acolyte!"

"I have heard of such spells and even items that can hide the appearance of a person. Would this Fane have possession of such an item? Perhaps a Necromancer who could alter my appearance?"

Vakros
''I posses neither the power to make you undetectable nor to alter your appearance. You will have top acquire such spells or items from another source. Perhaps your thief minions may be of assistance? ''

Back to her villainous side activities, plotting and building an undead strike force
Hoprig's face pales for a moment, and he answers-

''Oohhhh....you're one of them necromancers, like the Deadmaster? Ahh....good. We make a good team, Ereint. Me and the lads like working with you!''

Later, after murdering more people and making more zombies-

A red haired woman enters the Fane, accompanied by a tiny army of undead minions of Zombies and Skeletons. She heads for the back of the Fane and Master Vakros' office. Knocking on the door, she hears his response of "Who is it?" to which she replies "Tis I, Narisa, Master. I have something to show you." She removes an item from her hair, revealing her true form. Turning back to her undead army, she gives them the simple command to return to their place far below the Fane, except for her newest one.

They depart, leaving her with her newest undead. "Enter, child," he responds. She opens the door, and enters. Calling back without looking
"Enter and wait by the door," she tells the undead thing. The Master will see a dark elf Zombie at the door. Now Narisa says to him "Master, I have found a possible solution to my concerns I spoke of to you before."

She replaces a small item in her hair and turns her back on the old man. When she returns, she is a young human woman with blond hair and green eyes. Grinning she tells him "Master, I found an item thanks to my contact Hoprig. I can now disguise myself with it.

And this dark elf was the previous owner of the said item, but alas, it was finders’ keepers. He lost his life, I found his items. Isn't that terrible. HA HA HA! And in this process I did another favor for this band of thugs, so I am in very good standings with them. They of course think I am a Necromancer and my name Ereint.

Now as for me joining the militia, I feel safer doing so now. Under my new guise of Breana Carter of course. You know, Myrkul offering it's assistance to the city guard is quite convenient. If they accept me that is. I could try to make a good show of it by staging a little act with my new creatures but that would be too convenient a circumstance for them. Some of them are quite intelligent. And my next target is Rask. If he goes missing and ends up in my undead army, wouldn't that be a pity?"

To this she just laughs heartily.

Vakros-

''I approve.''

Narisa's mentor smiles, the joins in her laughter.
Last edited by ewancummins on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Realms of Dread- Archedius

Post by ewancummins »

Here is a collection of PMs between Archie and me. It shows what happened to Archedius the PC, during and after the encounter with the mind flayer in Delthrin's lab. It begins with telepATHIC CONVERSATION....

Archedius hears a voice in his mind:
FREE ME. I WILL NOT HARM YOU. I WILL AID YOU IN THIS FIGHT. THE HUMAN WIZARD AND HIS MINIONS ARE DANGEROUS.
Archedius wrote:
Archedius responds with thoughts, "I am Archedius and I will try to free you. If we survive this we will have much to discuss. I doubt either of us trusts the other but you have my respect."
Archedius' mind is momentarily flooded with a stream of shifting patterns of color and bizarre alien sigils. Somewhere behind the visual input, he can perceive a weird, inhuman chanting.
YES. WE MUST DESTROY THE NECROMANCER. HE IS OUR ENEMY.
Archedius wrote:
"We will subdue him first. If he resists too much; then he dies. I know you're trying to bend me to your will- I'm dying as we speak. Soon my Goddess will have me reborn as one of the walking dead. Focus your will on the Necromancer.
YOU ARE MISTAKEN, HUMAN. I WAS TELLING YOU MY NAME. OUR MINDS ARE UNLIKE YOURS- SOMETIMES THE TRANSLATION MAY PROVE UNCOMFORTABLE FOR HUMANS.
A strange cloud of mental static blurs through Archedius' brain, and then-
YOU ARE CORRECT. YOUR BODY IS DISEASED AND WILL SOON TURN. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT I CAN SAVE YOUR MIND/SOUL/ESSENCE, HOWEVER. THERE IS A WAY- BUT I REQUIRE THAT THE NECROMANCER BE GIVEN TO ME.
Archedius wrote:
"If I can get them to free you, feign weakness. I have no problem carrying you. If they feel threatened by you- they will kill you. Do you need food or water? I at least have some water I can give you."
I SHALL DO AS YOU SUGGEST. BRING ME WATER. I WILL EAT LATER. I REQUIRE HEALING. CONVINCE THE DWARF TO REPAIR MY INJURIES.
THE NECROMANCER MAY HAVE ON HIS PERSON A BLUE METAL KEY THAT CAN OPEN THIS CAGE.
IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT I RECOVER MY EQUIPMENT. THE NECROMANCER MAY BE KEEPING IT SOMEWHERE IN THIS LABORATORY.

Archedius wrote:
"What is your name so that I may address you? I have heard that your people are great warlords of the dark places and are respected and feared.
How did you come to be the prisoner of Delthrin? I ask because I am surprised as to how he could've accomplished such a feat- you seem to have easily crushed his mind."
"Did your people have anything to do with the recent attack on the city and if not do you know anything about it? The whole reason we're here is to find out."
YOU MAY USE.....OKITHRUU. THAT IS A ROUGH APPROXIMATION OF THE AUDIBLE PORTION OF MY NAME.
DELTHERIN USED A COMBINATION OF A SPECIAL MAGICAL TRAP AND HIS MINDLESS MINIONS TO CAPTURE ME AT A JUNCTURE/MOMENT/PLACE IN SPACE/TIME/DIMENSIONALITY WHERE I WAS TEMPORARILY WEAKENED. HE IS A MOST REMARKABLE SPECIMEN- A VERY HIGHLY TUNED BRAIN. HIS STRATEGEMS WERE ADVANCED, BUT HE HAS RELIED TOO MUCH ON THE VAGARIES OF CHAOS/FORTUNE/LUCK. NOW HIS PLANS HAVE COLLAPSED.
MY KIND HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE RECENT UNDEAD ATTACK ON THE CITY. WE NEITHER CREATE SUCH BEINGS NOR DO WE COMMAND THEM, AS A GENERAL RULE.
Archedius wrote:
Okithruu, as far as I'm concerned I see no reason to not turn Delthrin over to you. It would be only fair for you to treat him as he's treated you.
Hopefully, I can get the others into the same mindset. We will, of course, have questions of our own for the Necromancer.
A word of warning: there might be more associates of ours on the way but I can't be certain. I will try to hurry.
IF YOU WISH, I CAN READ HIS THOUGHTS AND MEMORIES FOR YOU. THAT MAY BE MORE EFFICIENT THAN YOUR PRIMITIVE METHODS OF INTERROGATION.
Archedius wrote:
I would appreciate that Okithruu. The others will likely go through the motions of asking him questions. This is what I need to know:
What does Delthrin know about the attack on the city?
Why was my group reassigned before our investigation was finished?
What's Delthrin's connection to the orphanage and has he been hurting children?
Has he been torturing anyone other than you?
HE KNOWS THAT THE UNDEAD INVADERS ATTACKED THE CITY UNDER THE DIRECTION OF AN ENTITY HE THINKS OF AS ''THE RAVEN QUEEN.'' THIS ENTITY HAS SINCE BEEN DESTROYED, BUT NOT BY DELTHERIN. HE COMMANDED HIS CREATIONS TO ASSIST IN THE DEFENSE OF THE CITY. AFTER THE PRIMARY ATTACK WAS DEFEATED, HE USED HIS MINIONS TO SEARCH OUT AND DESTROY THE INVADERS THAT REMAINED WITHIN THE CITY.
HE DOES NOT KNOW THE DETAILS OF YOUR REASSIGNMENT. HE HAD REQUESTED THAT YOU BE ORDERED TO STAY AWAY FROM HIM. HE REGARDS YOU WITH SUSPICION AND HOSTILITY. HIS CHIEF CONCERN WAS THAT YOU WOULD INTERFERE WITH HIS EXPERIMENTS.
HE SUPPORTS THE ORPHANAGE WITH HIS PERSONAL RESOURCES.
I FIND NO MEMORIES OF HIM CAUSING SERIOUS BODILY HARM TO A LIVING PRE-ADULT HUMAN.
HE HAS PERFORMED VIVISECTIONS ON OTHER LIVING BEINGS. HIS GOAL IS NOT THE INFLICTION OF PAIN, BUT THE ATTAINMENT OF KNOWLEDGE. HE DOES NOT SEE ANY OF HIS EXPERIMENTS AS 'TORTURE.'
Another telepathic communication from Okithruu goes rattling through Archedius' brain,
THE ENERGY FIELD OF THIS PLACE IS ACCELERATING YOUR TRANSFORMATION. WE MUST MOVE WITH GREATER SPEED. YOU MUST COME WITH ME NOW, OR IT WILL BE TOO LATE TO PERFORM THE PROCEDURE. I REQUIRE THE NECROMANCER. I REQUIRE THE STONES. I REQUIRE THESE THINGS NOW. CHOOSE.
Archedius wrote:
I do not mind undeath- I just want to keep my sanity during the transformation. I will try to get back these stones...she's a difficult one. Headstrong and lacking courtesy.
WITHOUT THE STONES, I CANNOT HELP YOU.
I HAVE NO MORE TIME FOR NEGOTIATIONS AND INTERROGATIONS. I AM LEAVING NOW WITH DELTHERIN. IF YOU WISH TO ACCOMPANY ME, STAND BESIDE ME. IF YOU HAVE FURTHER QUESTIONS FOR DELTHERIN, WILL ANSWER THESE WHEN THE THREE OF US ARE IN A SAFE LOCATION. DECIDE NOW.
Archedius wrote:
"I am ready Okithruu. What I want is to keep my sanity and free will into undeath. There is much I still need to do before I can earn a true death."

Archedius tries to think about the love he had for his family, the pain of seeing them die in front of him and then the self-loathing and shame he still feels because of it. He attempts to aim these thoughts at Okithruu.
"It took me half my life to open up to others and start a family and seconds to lose it. I want the opportunity to avenge them and redeem myself."
"I feel that your offer is my one opportunity to avoid mindlessness."
I CANNOT SAVE YOUR BODY FROM UNDEATH. I CAN PRESERVE YOUR MIND/SOUL/ESSENCE. WE GO NOW....
You find yourself abruptly translated from the lab to a cramped, near lightless room. You are immediately hit by strong sense of vertigo.
When you recover, you spot Okithruu standing behind Delthrin’s as the necromancer kneels, facing away from the monster. It’s hard to see in the poor light [just a little star shine creeping in through uneven shutters on the left wall of the room]. The illithid is doing something to Delthrin’s head, using its facial tentacles.
A violent spasm of pain racks your body, sending you sprawling on the floorboards. Something hard, small and sharp pierces your cheek. Your mouth begins to fill with blood.
The illithid is still feeling Delthrin’s head- and then you hear a soft grinding noise coming from the direction of the two figures, rather like a saw cutting.....
Archedius wrote:
Archedius is too distracted from the pain to care or show concern over what is happening to Delthrin but he has an idea.
By the time Archedius has recovered, the illithid has finished with Delthrin. The necromancer lies on the ground, tucked away in the darkest corner of a very gloomy room. Archedius can only barely make out the outline of the wizard's prone body.
Okithruu approaches, Archedius, a shadowy mass in the near-darkness.
I WILL PERFORM THE FIRST STAGE PROCEDURE NOW.YOUR MIND MUST BE OPERATED UPON BY MY MIND. DO NOT RESIST. THERE WILL BE NO PAIN IF NO RESISTANCE IS OFFERED.
[OOC you can voluntarily fail the Will save or you can roll- it's your choice]

Archedius feels a sudden mental shock, and then loses consciousness.
You dream: tentacles in the dark, scalpels and saws working on your skull, a sensation of floating in the aether...
Oblivion yawns for you as your mind is ripped from your dying body.
You waken. There is a bright light in your eyes...the sun. Looking up, you see blue sky and white clouds. You can feel the soft earth underneath your back.
Archedius wrote:
Archedius tries to look around him to see where he is.
You are lying on the ground close to a grove of ash trees. Looking all around, you can see that you are definitely not in Marsember. The surrounding area is rural: pastures, farmland, fences, and a few rustic buildings.
You feel an odd combination of vigor and clumsiness. Controlling your own body seems rather difficult, as if you were very drunk, and yet you don't feel the other effects of alcohol, nor do you recall drinking very recently.
Archedius wrote:
"Okithruu! Where am I?!?"
No answer comes to you. You do not feel the psychic presence of the alien creature. You are alone...
Archedius wrote:
Search check= 11 (roll of 9 + 2 intelligence)
Spot Check= 5 (roll of 2 + 3 ranks)
IC:
Looking about and getting a better sense of your surroundings, you notice a little farmhouse standing about one hundred yards to the far side of the grove of ash trees. The land slopes gentle upward, so that the house is a bit higher than the grassy ground on which you had lately awakened from strange dreaming. Squinting in the bright sunlight, you can see that the back door of the rustic dwelling is open, slowly swinging in the breeze.

Archedius wrote:
Archedius walks towards the farmhouse.
As you draw near the farmhouse, you can hear voices inside, talking. At thirty or forty feet away, the voices are still quite indistinct, but you can tell that one belongs to a woman and one to a man.
Archedius is now quite close to the farmhouse. He can hear the man and woman conversing, but cannot see them from his current position.
[Woman]
''He's been missing since last night! I looked everywhere I could think of, but I cannot find him. Oh, what should I do?''
[Man]
''Well, if he doesn't come home soon, I'll get the boys together and we'll go looking for him. You are right, it isn't like him to just vanish...''
Archedius walks up to the doorway and knocks on it,
"Hello?"
A woman of thirty or so comes to the door. She's a pretty brunette, but looks a bit careworn. You can see by her rounded belly that she must certainly be with child. The woman takes one look at you and then rushes forward to embrace you.
''Oh, darling! I was so worried about you!''
There is a man standing behind the woman, inside the kitchen of the farmhouse. He's a big fellow with graying auburn hair and a bristly mustache, dressed in plain clothing. At his belt hangs a short sword in a battered scabbard and on his breast twinkles a copper badge.
''Well, that's the fastest I've ever found a missing man. Ha! Unless there's some nefarious reason you were missing all morning, I'll be off...I've got complaints from Tullman about goblins stealing his cabbage- again. Probably just some kids with masks....[sigh].''
Archedius wrote:
Archedius looks at the woman and searches his memory to see if she's familiar. As he does so, a thought occurs to him: He doesn't remember what his wife and child's names were!

"I tripped and hit my head on a rock and was out for a while. I feel ok now...just a bit confused."
The woman [whose face is unfamiliar to you] reaches up and gently strokes your brow.
''Oh! I can see the bruise, darling. You'd better come inside and sit down. I'll fix you something to eat.''
The big man with the copper badge moves past you to exit the house.
''Fell and hit your head? Well, that doesn't require any questions. I'd better get a move on, folks. Don't mean to be rude- but duty calls- well, Tullman calls, at any rate.''
The man gives a wry smile beneath his bristling mustachios, and then he's off and gone.
Archedius wrote:
"I don't mean to alarm you milady...I am having trouble remembering who I am, where I am...and who you are. If you could refresh my memory; I found my way back here so I doubt this is serious."
Archedius does his best to give a reassuring smile towards the woman.
The woman looks quite alarmed, despite your reassurances.
'' You don't remember who you are? Oh! ''
She sits down and catches her breath, then continues speaking-
''Why, you're Toran Humber. I'm your own wife, Besmra. This is our home, this is our farm.''
Archedius wrote:
Archedius reaches for Besmra's hand and brings it to his lips and kisses it.

"Yes, this makes sense. I'm going to go wash up before we eat. I'm surprised you let me in the house when I'm this filthy."

He flashes a small smile and nonchalantly moves about the house trying to find a washroom, and more importantly, a mirror.
Besmra smiles, and then rushes off to fix a meal.
Searching the house, you find a bucket of water and a clean cloth. Cleaning your dirty hands, you notice that they seem less wrinkled than is usual and that the skin has a healthy tan. After scrubbing your face and feeling the growth of short beard [was that there before?], you manage to locate a small metal mirror.
Looking into the mirror, you see a face not your own- it is the face of a much younger man-probably under thirty. Blue eyes, brown hair, a rough beard, craggy features. You notice an odd sort of bruise on the forehead. It's a circular mark that extends around your crown and vanishes under the hairline at either temple.
Archedius wrote:
Archedius thinks to himself,
"What in the Hells has happened here?! This had better be a dream or fantasy...if my mind has been switched with this woman's husbands...I don't know what I'll do!"
He rubs the hair on his face and listens to the bristling.
"The only thing I could do is pray for the Red Knight's mercy and do my best to honor that man's memory by providing for his family. If what I'm seeing is reality...I'd rather be rotting. I never wanted others to be hurt for me!"
Archedius locks eyes with the image in the mirror.
"I should've had Rardi kill me! Let this just be some mad dream!"
He walks away from the mirror, doing his best to blank the worry and dread from his new face.
Your 'wife' calls you to the kitchen. She sets a wooden tray on the table and steps over the fire to fetch the now-boiling kettle.
''You must be famished! I've made your favorite.''
The tray holds a worthy meal: sliced brown bread, half a fist sized yellow wheel cheese, greens, and five strips of sizzling bacon. A clay mug sits beside the tray, empty but for a cheesecloth bundle stuffed with something sweet-smelling.
The sight of the food causes an involuntary rumble in your guts- you really are hungry!
In a moment Besmra is at you side, pouring steaming hot water into the mug.
''I was so worried, Toran! A rock! Well, I'm certain that you'll recover- you always were as tough as a tree-stump. ''
Archedius wrote:
"You spoil me. Sit and eat with me, you two need it."
Archedius gingerly takes a sip from the mug and puts it down, angling the handle towards Besmra.
"What do you think of the 'goblin' sightings? Do we have weapons in the house? I'd like to know if I should acquire some to protect us."

''Well, I don't know, it could be goblins. Surely the soldiers cannot have killed them all, during the War. Maybe there are goblins lurking in the woods? ''
She frowns.
''Weapons? Well, let me think....hmmmm...we've got the axe for chopping wood, some knives.ummm...a pitchfork? ''
Archedius wrote:
"Good...good...Are we in Damara? Was it the war for independence from the Witch King? Forgive my recent ignorance."
Archedius rubs his forehead along the bruise and looks back at Besmra. Is she what his wife looked like? This isn't RIGHT!
'' I don't know where Damara is, or who this Witch-King is... We live just a mile outside Moonever. ''
She frowns again, then adds, helpfully-
''We are in Cormyr. The war- that was the Goblin War. I envy you for having forgotten it- it was awful! So many people died so much horror and suffering. The king was slain- but I guess you don't remember that, either. Poor Tullman, he lost two of his sons in the fighting. The monsters burnt the shrine in the town and killed the priests.''
Archedius wrote:
"Are there any caverns or tunnels near us? I do worry about your safety...and the little ones' as well."
''I think that there are caves in the forest. I recall hearing Tullman say that one of his sheep fell down a hole in the earth, when it became lost in the woods. He said something about the hole being deeper than he'd expected, and there being other holes...I can't quite remember the rest... ''
Archedius wrote:
"Thankfully there are things for goblins to fear in the deep places."
Archedius starts to eat again. He quickly realizes that he forgot he was talking to a concerned pregnant woman.
"Well isn't it obvious, Besmra? The infamous cavern sheep is known for its ravenous appetite for goblin meat."
He keeps a straight face as he says this, takes a sip from the mug, then makes a bleating sound.
Besmra laughs as the tension drains from her.
''Oh, Toran!''
Archedius wrote:
Archedius finishes the meal and heads off to find the axe and a knife...he is worried about the goblin sightings.
Besmra, now somewhat calmer than she had been, tidies up after her husband.
You find the axe in a closet full of tools, and the knife in the pantry.
Archedius wrote:
Archedius feels fairly tired and tells Besmra he's going to take a nap.
Besmra, now busy folding linen, answers-
''Yes, Toran. Let me know if you need anything at all. I'm sure a little rest will do you good.''
Archedius wrote:
Archedius, playing the part of Toran, kisses Besmra on the cheek and heads off to rest.
Where is her husband?
...Perhaps Okithruu knew goblins were going to attack here and switched my mind with her husbands' so that I could protect her and the unborn child. If so, it's my fault really. I shouldn't've expected a hunter of men to implicitly understand what I wanted...I got it, but at the cost of a man's existence.
You dream of your wife, the one you'd wed so long ago, at home in Damara. In the dream, she is alive yet, as is your little son.
It's spring in the North Country, and the first wildflowers are peaking out from under the ground cover. The streams are icy cold, but your wife loves to wade in the snowmelt and look for interesting stones. She once found gold nuggets, you recall. Now, she's ankle deep in the shallow creek that runs through your little farmstead, looking for treasures to bring to your young son, who is sleeping in the cabin. You lie on the shore, watching her play as you whittle a chunk of wood into a little horse for your son.
''Archie darling, I found an agate!''
She holds up a pale stone for you to see. The sunlight plays off it, making it sparkle.
She's even more lovely than you'd remembered, wearing her simple homespun dress and with her long honey-blonde hair streaming in the breeze.
Hoof beats
Horns

Riders approach at a trot, coming from over the rise behind the stream, behind your wife. There are over a dozen of them. They are armed. Their guidon displays a golden crown ringed by silver daggers on a field of midnight blue.
You jump to your feet, shouting to warn your wife...
And then you're awake, lying in bed, a cold sweat covering your whole body.
The window is open, admitting daylight.
Besmra soon enters the room, a worried look on her face.
''Toran, you called out so that you scared me half to death! Were you having a bad dream, dear? ''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Realms of Dread- Rardi and Archedius PM stuff

Post by ewancummins »

ewancummins wrote:IC:

kintire wrote:"Worthy Dawnbringer, we are informed that you may be able to scry the location of this renegade priestess. That would make our task of bringing her to justice much easier. Would it be possible?"

''Yes, of course we can try. Let me see...I'll need to gather certain items and materials...''

Harmond calls in an acolyte, writes out a set of instructions, and dispatches the boy.

''Allow me a few minutes to prepare here, if you will.''

The wait isn't long.

Soon, three acolytes return with a small pile of items: bedding, a wastebasket, etc.
These items are neatly stacked before the cleric.

''These things came from her quarters here. It may be that we will find something connected with her.''

Harmond rummages through the nearly empty wastebasket.

''Nothing useful, bah!''

Harmond now kneels by the pile of linen. He scans the sheets and pillow....

''Ha!''

Reaching down, quick as a mantis snatching its hapless prey, he plucks from the pillow case a few strands of long raven hair. He holds up the thin strands for Shana and Ironheart to see.

''This, now this we can use! ''

Dawnbringer Harmond now takes the hair and the portrait to another room. In this room is a small marble font filled with clear water and rimmed with hammered gold.

''Do not interrupt me while I am performing the ritual, please.''

He begins to chant, lighting incense and gesticulating over the basin of pure water.

Shana and Ironheart can see an image slowly from in the pool: a woman is standing half in sunlight, half in shadow. She doesn't look elfish, though, but human. She's quite pretty, with long red hair. She wears black robes and carries a scythe. She seems to be looking at something or someone beyond the edge of the wavering water-image.

Shana and Ironheart become aware of sounds coming from the water- breathing, shuffling feet, etc. Quite unexpectedly a familiar voice fills the room:

"Nothing obvious over here, at least from an arcane sense. I'll keep looking."

It is the voice of Blaise Redman!

OCC- For obvious reasons, this is to be kept totally secret. As your DM I am asking you not to reveal this in OOC chat or by PM. Tarlyn should not know- I don't want to put him in a position where he is strongly tempted to use player knowledge, and I want the surprise factor to be fun for everyone. Besides, he's been doing secret stuff y'all don't get to see, so it's only fair. And, yes, Shana will immediately recognize Breana as the subject of the scry, if she runs into her.
kintire wrote:ooc BUSTED! :twisted: ooc

"We´ve got her. I don´t recognise her, but tht voice was Blaise! If he´s met her, all we have to do is find him, and we´ve found her!"

Shana frowns for a moment

"From what she´s done, she´s a powerful cleric. When it comes to seizing her, can the temple offer any backup? She may be very difficult to take alive..."
Rafael wrote:
ewancummins wrote:kintire wrote:
ooc BUSTED! ooc

"We´ve got her. I don´t recognise her, but tht voice was Blaise! If he´s met her, all we have to do is find him, and we´ve found her!"

Shana frowns for a moment

"From what she´s done, she´s a powerful cleric. When it comes to seizing her, can the temple offer any backup? She may be very difficult to take alive..."

Dawnbringer Harmond replies-

''Backup? Oh, yes, with pleasure! I am gifted by my patron with not-inconsiderable powers, and I would be happy to come with you. In fact, why don't we bring a few other spellcasting clerics? My only fear is that she may recognize our faces- perhaps we should wear disguises of some kind?''
In the moment the cleric mentions his desire to come with the party, Ironheart involuntarily frowns.

In the moment the cleric mentions disguises, the barbarian shows his teeth, like a hungry bear.[/quote