Realms of Dread OOC

Online roleplaying at the Café
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Mordentish is the one of the most common in RL.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

kintire wrote:
The common FR language is Vasi in RL.
Oh, I didn't know that. Cool!
As written, FR has an actual Common Tongue, spoken across a huge swathe of Faerun. Calishites and Cormytes can thus communicate quite easily. The local languages, like Chondathan, Iluksan,etc were mostly added in a late era AD&D 2E article, and were later adopted into 3E Realms materials. There were some local languages mentioned in the official FR AD&D materials, mostly in exotic or isolated cultural regions: Halruua, Anauroch, the Great Glacier,etc.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Lord Skybolt is using my own house rules for boomsticks.
IMC, this is how proficiency with bangsticks shakes out:

CL 9- simple weapons

CL 8 - martial weapons

CL 7 and lower : characters are assumed to be initially unfamiliar with guns. Non proficiency penalties[ doubled reload time and -4 to hit] may be eliminated with a few weeks of steady practice. For fighters and other classes with full martial proficiency, this does not require a feat. It is a martial feat for everyone else, of course. Please be aware that all ordinary sorts of handheld firearms are covered by a single martial feat.

Only weird combo guns, and experimental weapons, are considered exotic.

Stats for guns are based on the Ravenloft Player's Handbook [Arthaus], with the following adjustments:

Crit = 18-20, x3

Reloading= full round action
The rapid reload feat is NOT available [too many steps to load compared with a crossbow].

Firing a loaded and ready gun in melee never provokes an attack of opportunity.

Price- divide base prices of guns and ammo by 10. [This does not take into account price hikes from differences in CL , of course, so guns can still be pretty expensive to obtain in backward locales like Barovia. ]

In Richemulot's cities, one may typically acquire a serviceable musket or pistol for about 50 gold pieces, the same price as a heavy crossbow.

Misfires and fumbles: A roll of natural 1 may result in a hangfire/misfire/fouled barrel/etc [DM will roll on a table or use fiat, as appropriate]. Using quaility powder, taking your time to load carefully, properly caring for your gun, etc will all reduce the chance of mishaps, naturally. Failing a Fear check in combat may result in a bad job of loading!
I could have made more detailed and ''realistic'' rules, but they wouldn't fit the system or promote game balance.

Note on damage:pistols= 1d10, muskets 1d12

I may later that in my own game, lowering damage for concealable pistols and fussing about with various types of guns. AD&D had much better rules overall, for the various kinds of firearms in a Medeival-Early Modern setting.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

ewancummins wrote:Lord Skybolt is using my own house rules for boomsticks.
IMC, this is how proficiency with bangsticks shakes out:

CL 9- simple weapons

CL 8 - martial weapons

CL 7 and lower : characters are assumed to be initially unfamiliar with guns. Non proficiency penalties[ doubled reload time and -4 to hit] may be eliminated with a few weeks of steady practice. For fighters and other classes with full martial proficiency, this does not require a feat. It is a martial feat for everyone else, of course. Please be aware that all ordinary sorts of handheld firearms are covered by a single martial feat.

Only weird combo guns, and experimental weapons, are considered exotic.

Stats for guns are based on the Ravenloft Player's Handbook [Arthaus], with the following adjustments:

Crit = 18-20, x3

Reloading= full round action
The rapid reload feat is NOT available [too many steps to load compared with a crossbow].

Firing a loaded and ready gun in melee never provokes an attack of opportunity.

Price- divide base prices of guns and ammo by 10. [This does not take into account price hikes from differences in CL , of course, so guns can still be pretty expensive to obtain in backward locales like Barovia. ]

In Richemulot's cities, one may typically acquire a serviceable musket or pistol for about 50 gold pieces, the same price as a heavy crossbow.

Misfires and fumbles: A roll of natural 1 may result in a hangfire/misfire/fouled barrel/etc [DM will roll on a table or use fiat, as appropriate]. Using quaility powder, taking your time to load carefully, properly caring for your gun, etc will all reduce the chance of mishaps, naturally. Failing a Fear check in combat may result in a bad job of loading!
I could have made more detailed and ''realistic'' rules, but they wouldn't fit the system or promote game balance.

Note on damage:pistols= 1d10, muskets 1d12

I may later that in my own game, lowering damage for concealable pistols and fussing about with various types of guns. AD&D had much better rules overall, for the various kinds of firearms in a Medeival-Early Modern setting.

So, what about damage like in MoTrD where if you roll a 6 on your d6, roll again and add that damage as well. What are your thoughts on that, ewan?
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

I dislike 'exploding damage dice.' It's kinda silly. A sword is just a deadly as a pistol. In fact, I'd probably rather be shot with a handgun than have a reasonably strong man take a free swing at me with a broadsword!

The advantages of black powder guns are not so much that they are uber deadly,but that guns are comparatively easy to learn to use well, are ranged weapons, and are economical for equipping large forces once you have the human and material infrastructure for production in place. Guns don't require the same physical attributes and long practise as, say, the longbow. It takes years to train a longbowman, and weeks or months to train a musketeer.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

ewancummins wrote:I dislike 'exploding damage dice.' It's kinda silly. A sword is just a deadly as a pistol. In fact, I'd probably rather be shot with a handgun than have a reasonably strong man take a free swing at me with a broadsword!

The advantages of black powder guns are not so much that they are uber deadly,but that guns are comparatively easy to learn to use well, are ranged weapons, and are economical for equipping large forces once you have the human and material infrastructure for production in place. Guns don't require the same physical attributes and long practise as, say, the longbow. It takes years to train a longbowman, and weeks or months to train a musketeer.
Very true but you still have to practice quite a bit to be able to acquire your target!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:
ewancummins wrote:I dislike 'exploding damage dice.' It's kinda silly. A sword is just a deadly as a pistol. In fact, I'd probably rather be shot with a handgun than have a reasonably strong man take a free swing at me with a broadsword!

Very true but you still have to practice quite a bit to be able to acquire your target!
Of course. It's a comparative difference: guns are easier to master than bows or swords.

In European/Asian history, there were a few centuries of blackpowder weapons and more 'archaic' arms and armor coexisting. Much of Ravenloft actually resembles that, IMO.
I'd suggest that the rarity of full scale wars in Ravenloft tends to retard the development and spread of weapons technology.

If Drakov ever got over his dislike of guns [and got smart about not needlessly oppressing his own people]....imagine a fully trained and gun-equipped Falkovian army with horse-drawn freakin' field artillery [or even just wood and iron armored wagons with small cannon- keeping it more medieval].

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

As written, FR has an actual Common Tongue, spoken across a huge swathe of Faerun. Calishites and Cormytes can thus communicate quite easily. The local languages, like Chondathan, Iluksan,etc were mostly added in a late era AD&D 2E article
The current position is that FR has two languages that are widely spoken in Faerun, descended from the two empires that dominated it most recently, the Shoon Imperium and Jhaamdath (i.e.Ancient Chondath). These are Calishite and Chondathan respectively. The language referred to as "Common" is essentially Chondathan, with a whole raft of loan words.

These days, most people in Calimshan speak Chondathan too. At least, anyone who deals with foreigners will. If you speak Chondathan, Calishite and Elven, you can talk to anyone in the realms.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

kintire wrote:
As written, FR has an actual Common Tongue, spoken across a huge swathe of Faerun. Calishites and Cormytes can thus communicate quite easily. The local languages, like Chondathan, Iluksan,etc were mostly added in a late era AD&D 2E article
The current position is that FR has two languages that are widely spoken in Faerun, descended from the two empires that dominated it most recently, the Shoon Imperium and Jhaamdath (i.e.Ancient Chondath). These are Calishite and Chondathan respectively. The language referred to as "Common" is essentially Chondathan, with a whole raft of loan words.

These days, most people in Calimshan speak Chondathan too. At least, anyone who deals with foreigners will. If you speak Chondathan, Calishite and Elven, you can talk to anyone in the realms.
That makes more sense, actually.

I presume your Calishite bard can speak Chondathan 'Common''?

The way I think of those empires is [very, very loosely):

Jhaamdaath= Rome
Shoon Imperium= Persia

I tend to favor the AD&D 1E and 2E FR materials over most of the 3E stuff. Partly, that's because I don't own the 3E stuff! :wink:

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Based on Empires of the Sands, it would appear that 'Calishite' =Alzhedo.

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

You are completely correct, but I usually say Calishite as there is a better chance people will know what I'm talking about!

My bard speaks Common Chondathan, Calishite, and Elven.... funnily enough!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

kintire wrote:
You are completely correct, but I usually say Calishite as there is a better chance people will know what I'm talking about!

My bard speaks Common Chondathan, Calishite, and Elven.... funnily enough!
Cool!

Oh, and we have a cleric. My wife is making a gold dwarf cleric of Gond.

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Excellent! We need that Turn Undead goodness.

Also, someone in a tin can for me to hide behind would be handy.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

kintire wrote:Excellent! We need that Turn Undead goodness.

Also, someone in a tin can for me to hide behind would be handy.
I suspect there will be a couple other PCs hiding behind her, too.

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

I called dibs first.