RAVENLOFT: Down the Dark Road

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: RAVENLOFT: Down the Dark Road

Post by ewancummins »

Alain sees only the swirling, soupy Mists in all directions.
He's able to determine, more by touch than sight, that the Road runs in two directions, forward and back.
Or backward and forward.

Or left and right. With no other points of reference, it is all relative to him

As the party lingers and waits, chill fog creeps into clothing and beneath armor, clinging to the skin beneath like dew.

The exhausted ritual casters find little benefit from slumping down to rest on the cold, fogbound pavement of the Dark Road, even after what feels like a long break...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

kintire wrote:Kat frowns

"Best we stay together. This mist has to clear soon, and there's not much point in moving on till it does. We'd only be wandering in circles."
"I shouldn't be so sure of that," Bennedict answers, "This is unnatural fog. It'll clear when we get out of it. I'd like to spend as little time here as we can. Shall we flip a coin and carry on down the road? Sleeping in this soup sounds awful."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Adam wrote:"I've been in a place like this, before. This...isn't good."
"Oh, great... this day doesn't seem much better than the last one." Raen sighs. "Sleeping in mists seems indeed very bad."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Klokulf buries his face in his hands for a moment, then says, "If rest is of no use, then travel is indeed what must be done."

He looks around at the others, "Does anyone happen to have a timepiece? I should like to know what time it ought to be."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Benn flips a coin to choose which direction to go.

The party trudges down the road…

After a long jaunt (just how long nobody knows without a timepiece) the walkers notice a dim light off the road and ahead on the left side. The light grows brighter and larger. A pale figure appears.
It’s Dorgio, carrying a lantern.
“I’ve found you at last! Come, please hurry before I lose the way. I know the way back, but the path seems unstable.”
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict smiles and hustles towards his friend, embracing him briefly and gesturing for the others to follow.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Klokulf's eyes widen, but whether it is fear or anger that flashes over his face is hard to discern.

He rolls up his left sleeve and speaks with an iron tone, "The convenience of this occasion is far too great. Did not the tome with the ritual warn that things would come to tempt us off the path?" The fingers of his left hand writhe slowly, as though they are waiting to spring. "Perhaps we ought to exercise greater caution before being overjoyed at reunion."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict smiles and hustles towards his friend, embracing him briefly and gesturing for the others to follow.
Dorgio smiles as Benn hurries to embrace him.

''I feared I wouldn't find you."

He hugs Benn a bit tighter still.
''Or that you'd not come off the Road for me."
Then Dorgio's face melts away, revealing the demonic skull-visage beneath!

Benn feels the freezing fingers pushing into his body, passing through flesh and bone as if Benn were a ghost and not a solid creature. The Skull-Face laughs as it drains not only his warmth and vigor but also his magic!

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Alain on seeing the skullfaced visage "embraces" Dorgio he casts a spell* which unleashes tiny darts of force at it .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen exclaims in anger as he prepares to cloak everyone in invisibility, yet again.
Last edited by alhoon on Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

BENN backpedals from the SKULL-FACED horror that had masqueraded as Dorgio, breathlessly intoning a protective spell and making a sign against evil.
The others hurl curses and bolts of magical power at the ghostly entity or rush forward to attack with enchanted steel.

''Your soul is mine!'' The Skull-Faced spirit shrieks as it presses toward Benn, reaching out with elongating arms of dense, black mist.
It recoils just before it reaches Benn, its triumphant shriek turning to a frustrated wail.
And then blades and spells rip it to shreds of fog, tatters which melt into the surrounding Mists.

The spirit seems to have vanished...

Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Klokulf stoops with his hands on his knees, looking haggard. He fails to restrain a glare at Bennedict, his exhaustion having eaten through his veneer of tact. "Have we learned a lesson, then?" he growls.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Alwina rushes to Klokulf's side and begins fussing over him.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict, exhausted, drained, and beaten, doesn't even bother concealing his returning glare.

He stands, brushes his trousers, and waits tiredly for the group to be ready to move on.
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

"It is a very simple lesson in my opinion, do not stray from road ."And with those words Alain steps up his pace to lead the group farther down the road, keeping on a look out for trouble .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .