RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away, Chapter Twelve

Online roleplaying at the Café
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away, Chapter Twelve

Post by Lord Skybolt »

After he conjurys the missiles of force at the fellow that looked like Matyr, Alain turns to the armored fighter who helped him survive against the summoned fiends he says"Thanks for the help with the fiends ."
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Armor Clad Humanoid.

After slaying three of the fiends, the armor clad swordsman watches as the others continue fighting. He could be confused, or he could be waiting a for good opportunity to strike the all ready wounded party of adventures in front of him; It's difficult to tell given his stance and the full helm that covers his head and face. Even when things seem to calm down, the armor clad swords continues to have his weapon leveled and at the ready.
Wolfglide wrote:Klokulf falls from his knees to his rear, sitting down a bit hard. He presses the point of his wand to his chest, and a pulse of positive energy flows into him.

He draws his hand across his face in exhaustion, then lingers on his upper lip. He utters a strong Vaasi curse, then looks skyward and apologizes to the Lawgiver. I never thought I would need fireproof mustache wax, he thinks.

His gaze settles on the creature in the black armor. Is it safe to address this thing? Surely not-- "And who might you be?" he asks of the being.
Lord Skybolt wrote:After he conjurys the missiles of force at the fellow that looked like Matyr, Alain turns to the armored fighter who helped him survive against the summoned fiends he says"Thanks for the help with the fiends ."
The armor clad swordsman doesn't respond to the two adventures who spoke to him, instead he moves to the side of the portal. Raising he large sword, as if he is waiting for something to strike.

"Make ready, something this way comes." He says.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Alain thanks Dorigo with a thumbs up gesture and makes ready as the armored figure suggests with thinking about what he will cast at what may come through the portal .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat looks down at the corpse with a grim satisfaction, tempered with a slight unease. Then she turns and looks reluctantly back at the portal and the armoured figure beside it.

Her spirits look dampened and she moves, wincing with each step and fades into the shadows at the edges of the room, ready to strike at anything that emerges fromthe portal... or flee the chamber, as seems more appropriate
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict grabs the unconscious mage by the front of the shirt, raising him up and bringing his nose down towards him. "Where!" he snarls, "Where is Matyr! TELL ME!" He raises the walking stick over his head, ready to bring it down if he gets an answer he doesn't like.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict grabs the unconscious mage by the front of the shirt, raising him up and bringing his nose down towards him. "Where!" he snarls, "Where is Matyr! TELL ME!" He raises the walking stick over his head, ready to bring it down if he gets an answer he doesn't like.
The man just hangs by his clothes, limp, giving no answer.
He seems still to be alive, but hasn't come to--or is good at playing possum.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE PORTAL DISK

Kat joins the silent armored swordsman by the black pool.

Something's moving inside the murky pit...

A pronged, bloodstained fork weapon thrusts up through the misted surface of the circle, followed by the horrific figure of something more insect or crustacean than humanoid.

KNEEL SLAVES!

The loud, harsh command reaches everyone standing in the chamber, though no audible voice rises above Benn's frenzied attempt at interrogating the captive. It just bursts into the mind like the pain of a sudden punch to the face.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Kat stabs--no effect! Her sword's point might as well have hit an anvil.
A glancing blow from the armored swordsman's heavy blade hardly slows the horror striding out from the black pit.
One hard shove of that wicked, three-pronged pole weapon sends the warrior skidding back on his heels.
Dorgio steps forward, speaking a prayer to his god, hands lifted. A nimbus of light surrounds the hateful, four armed creature--and then the light dies.

A PRIEST WHO SERVES AN IMAGINARY GOD. AMUSING.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict drops the cultist to the ground, turning to stare at the horror. "A Daemon!" he shouts, "Thankfully, not one of the greater varieties, but still a dire threat to life and sanity. Poison and acid are useless in this fight. Zapping, burning, freezing the thing might work, given massive pile-on of attacks, but brute force spells like Alain's nasty trick with falling rocks would be better. Magic missiles, as Alain just used, could hurt it. The thing possesses some innate resistance to spells, so incantations that attack it in ways that circumvent such resistance are the best bet.
Weapons can harm it, but steel blessed by a holy man and aligned to forces of cosmic Goodness would be by far the most effective arms.

If I knew it's true name...but I don't.

It no doubt has magical powers besides speaking into minds.
If not dealt with now, this daemon might even be able to bring others of its kind through the gate. Or perhaps not. Sources conflict on that point."

At the conclusion of his lecture, he barks a word of command and calls forth a spiritual spear, that begins plunging down at the creature.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict drops the cultist to the ground, turning to stare at the horror. "A Daemon!" he shouts, "Thankfully, not one of the greater varieties, but still a dire threat to life and sanity. Poison and acid are useless in this fight. Zapping, burning, freezing the thing might work, given massive pile-on of attacks, but brute force spells like Alain's nasty trick with falling rocks would be better. Magic missiles, as Alain just used, could hurt it. The thing possesses some innate resistance to spells, so incantations that attack it in ways that circumvent such resistance are the best bet.
Weapons can harm it, but steel blessed by a holy man and aligned to forces of cosmic Goodness would be by far the most effective arms.

If I knew it's true name...but I don't.

It no doubt has magical powers besides speaking into minds.
If not dealt with now, this daemon might even be able to bring others of its kind through the gate. Or perhaps not. Sources conflict on that point."

At the conclusion of his lecture, he barks a word of command and calls forth a spiritual spear, that begins plunging down at the creature.
Benn's lecture comes at quite an impressive verbal clip, so that he rushes straight into his conjuring without stopping.

A glowing spear appears.

It speeds toward the daemon--and the horror from the portal deflects the hurtling missile with a lazy swipe of one clawed arm, like shooing a fly.

PATHETIC.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

ALAIN conjures hazy spheres that hum and hiss like angry bees. He hurls these at the monster's back.

The Daemon screams--not telepathically, but aloud, in an ear-splitting wail that echoes around the vaulted portal chamber.

THAT HURT!
Last edited by ewancummins on Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

At the fiend's silent words, Klokulf howls and clutches his head, flopping onto his side. Recovering and getting to his hands and knees, he thinks over his noon prayers. Were I capable of seeing the future, perhaps I would have asked for something more useful.

Others through the gate, he thinks, then he looks at the unconscious wizard. Not if I am lucky enough to get him to say anything about it.

He gets to his feet and runs over to Bennedict. "I fear I might not be much help in direct conflict with this monster. May I borrow your prisoner?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:At the fiend's silent words, Klokulf howls and clutches his head, flopping onto his side. Recovering and getting to his hands and knees, he thinks over his noon prayers. Were I capable of seeing the future, perhaps I would have asked for something more useful.

Others through the gate, he thinks, then he looks at the unconscious wizard. Not if I am lucky enough to get him to say anything about it.

He gets to his feet and runs over to Bennedict. "I fear I might not be much help in direct conflict with this monster. May I borrow your prisoner?"

Benn's a tad busy just now.

But the helpless, dazed warlock is right there, slumped over and bound...

Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Klokulf kneels on the chest of the arcanist and jabs his neck with his wand, trying to revive him as slightly as possible.