RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away, Chapter Ten

Online roleplaying at the Café
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away, Chapter Ten

Post by Adam »

The crossbow raises back to aim at the Vaasan's chest.

"You have three seconds to stop that spell, or you will acquire a new hole in your chest."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat made no reply to his question as to who she was, and has watched the exchange with distant amusement, but as the spell begins she steps lightly back, well out of Benn's line of shot, and her hand rests on her rapier.

"Reading minds? he can do that?"

She looks thoughtful

"Useful..."
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Klokulf goes silent, then slowly uncurls his fingers from his arm. As he returns his sleeve to its proper length, he speaks softly with his gaze cast down, like a child caught doing something he knew to be wrong, "Perhaps that was . . . too direct. I apologize."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

kintire wrote: "Reading minds? he can do that?"
She looks thoughtful
"Useful..."
Raen sighs. "Benn, you're being paranoid. We could have made use of that spell and now it's wasted. Even if he's with the enemy there are few things we've done and they don't know. Katherine, I can also read minds but I have not used the spell so far. I have it prepared. Do you have someone on mind that his thoughts could provide information?"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

The archivist sighs and lowers the crossbow. "I'm curious what use you had in mind, when he was casting it on us."

He turns back to the Vassan. "Look, if you want to help with our investigation, that's fine. While we stand here dallying, the guilty parties are free to move about and cause more mischief."

He turns to the others. "I have captured and interrogated a member of a group of thieves that was breaking into my office, looking to retrieve items which were discarded by Jonathon Matyr. They were convening at the Grim Bastion, another sight of significance from that first adventure. I suggest we go there, try to apprehend the rest of the gang and, perhaps, capture Matyr at the same time."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"You have a prisoner?" Klokulf asks, his demeanor returned to its initial state as though nothing untoward had occurred. "If you sent him back, I could look through his eyes. Sadly, you would be trading surprise for information, unless you could keep him quiet."

Looking at Raen, he says, "You clearly know of magic. Could you control a man with it?"
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Wolfglide wrote:"You have a prisoner?" Klokulf asks, his demeanor returned to its initial state as though nothing untoward had occurred. "If you sent him back, I could look through his eyes. Sadly, you would be trading surprise for information, unless you could keep him quiet."
"Not an option, I'm afraid," Bennedict says, "They know he was taken. It would be too suspicious. He's in a prison somewhere now."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Wolfglide wrote:Looking at Raen, he says, "You clearly know of magic. Could you control a man with it?"
"You don't need to know that" Raen replies cryptically. "Benn, is that captive still around? Because we could read his mind for information, or the divine spellcaster here could perhaps cast a spell to make him tell the truth"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict shifts to the right, looking at Raen. "As I said," the archivist responds, "No. He is not available."

He lowers the weapon, turning towards his equipment and hefting it from the ground. He slings the crossbow over his back. "This is a waste of time. I am going to investigate the Grim Bastion. If you want to help me, feel free to come with. If not, kindly vacate my home."

He turns to leave.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"I am coming with you Benn. Do we expect ash-cryptids there?"
My DMGuild work!
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

As he steps back out of the door and stands to the side, Klokulf thinks, They don't speak like three trying to coordinate a collective lie. That is a good sign. Then again, I have never heard, 'The prisoner is unavailable,' mean anything good.

"On the way there, you will have to explain what this bastion is--and what you speak of regarding the ash."
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Many years ago, when we were first on the case with Matyr, the Bastion was a stronghould used by a cult who opposed us. Below it was a gateway to the home of a witch we battled in another realm. I know this sounds ridiculous," he says, looking at the Inquisitor, "You may take me at my word or not. Your call. In any case, I've always suspected that the seeds of darkness were in the boy, but something about our journey to that place...accelerated his change. They've always been connected, and the fact that these rogues were hired to acquire items of Matyr's and then meet back there is unlikely to be a coincidence."

He looks to Raen. "You can tell him about the ash-thing."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen points at the ash-cloud. "Do you see that, friend? As you may suspect, it's nothing good. As Katherine's investigation recently proved, creatures caught under the ash-cloud change for worse; they turn to rabid powerful versions of themselves. I have nearly been killed by a corrupted street mongrel. The rat Katherine had examined was also turned rabid. And we believe it can affect humans although, like rats, humans are unlikely to stay under it and inhale the corruption of this thing. Although I am afraid the despondent people residing in the ghost-town part of the city would be exposed."

Not fully trusting the Vaasan, Raen doesn't mention the masks Katherine procured. However, he does add something else.

"Oh, also there's a not big, but certainly not negligible chance we walk into a trap with firebombs. Those guys we're after may be the same group that bought large quantities of alchemical reagents required to make a mix of gunpowder and alchemical fire. You know, something that explodes and then catches fire. Perhaps they used most of it. Perhaps.
We've been through their stuff very recently so it's not out of the question they may have booby-trapped the place."

Turning to Kat, Raen asks "Katherine, can you tackle that part of the investigation? Checking for firebomb traps before we're locked in a basement on fire? I guess magic could be used to locate this substance since I have seen it and I am aware of its texture, smell, properties etc."
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

BENN'S HOUSE

Benn and the others see a rider in a green surcoat approach from the north end of the street.
As the man draws nearer, everyone familiar with the city guard can see the rider wears gendarme's livery.
The youthful policeman dismounts before the front of the house and leads his horse toward the door.
Seeing Benn coming out, he says,
''Monsieur Gehrman? Ah, I'm glad to have caught you before you stepped out. Captain Thibault sent me to deliver a message. He says it might not be important, but that you'd wish to know of it."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict stops, holding out his hand. "Yes, yes. Out with it," he says, clearly impatient. "We're on our way to an investigation, and time is a factor."