CRABCLAW: Chapter One

Online roleplaying at the Café
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Re: CRABCLAW: Chapter One

Post by kintire »

Aramia leans on the bar, listening with interest, and decides she has heard her cue.

"Surely the great Alfonse can come up with a solution! No moster is a match for such a heros. And if you do need someone to occupy the monster while you work your mighty magic, I would be happy to hire on to your expedition!"
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Fild is blind-sided by the sudden appearance of a warrior. He looks around. His eyes settle on Alfonse. "Do you know this woman?" he asks the mage quietly.
Then he turns to her "Greetings madam. The name is Fild."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Kotha and Sombro stare at Aramia, wide-eyed.
After a moment, both brothers politely avert their gaze, inspecting the bar instead of the stranger.

The gnomes look at Aramia and at the others nearby, turning their heads back and forth, and chattering amongst themselves on their row of stools like a clump of chipmunks gathered atop a log.
VIEW CONTENT:
"Who is that big female?" ''Why do those men stare--you'd think they'd never encountered one of their females before." "'Why is she wearing a suit of armor? Seems paranoid--but times like these...." ''Looks a bit elf-y to me."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Gertie takes a seat and orders a hot drink, non alcoholic. She won't speak unless spoken to, just listen to conversations and keep quiet.
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

She bows to the group generally and replies.

"Greetings master Fild! I have been listening to your tales with fascination. Its my honour to be in the presence of such valiant folk! I'm Aramia, and I have been seeking a worthy challenge for my blade. If you are interested in engaging a stout shield and swift blade, I am your woman!"

She pauses, apparently to admire the sight of the mighty adventurers and assesses the effects of her words thinking rapidly Was that laying it on too thick? okay, Aramia you are confidently offering your valuable services, NOT begging for a job... smile confidently.

She smiles confidently.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Fild looks at her. "Greetings madam Aramia. The wizard, sir Alfonse is the one doing the hiring. And the paying." He then turns to the gnomes and comments in a low voice, in gnomish.
"Kinda elfish, I would agree. And I don't know why they stare at her. Her nose is too small, the poor thing. Most humans have ugly and small noses, but hers is small even for humans. Probably she can't find a husband and decided to become a mercenary to have a few tales to share and money. She seems to be confident around the blade though and she could afford armor, so despite her appearance I believe she would be a valuable addition. Perhaps we, I mean you should look into a potion that makes the nose of a human larger? I believe since humans are vain, she would be interested to buy one."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Alfonse looks her up and down, dubiously arching an eyebrow. "I'm not sure you understand. You're a swordswoman? A fighter? I'm happy to let you join our company, so long as you earn your keep. But swords are only slightly more effective than magic under the water. I have to speak words to channel a spell. Water in my lungs makes that rather difficult."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Sombro ays,
''A knife or a spear is better in the water.''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Aramia looks elated for a moment, then recovers herself.

"You'll find I more than earn my keep, master Alfonse. And I am sure these small difficulties are as nothing to your intellect. I have a dagger, if that would be better..."

She looks at the crabbers.

"How deep down is the stuff its eating, anyway? Could we chuck stuff from a boat?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Kotha answers,
''Hmmm...if the same thing's been after fishermen's nets and our traps, then seems like the thing grabs stuff anywhere from just under the surface to several fathoms deep. Mostly near the river mouth, estuary beaches. If it's out in deeper waters, I haven't heard about that. Doesn't mean it isn't, though.''
He scratches his neck-beard.
''Seems we could use a boat.''

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Gertie looks up from her tea and nods at Aramia. "Hi, I'm Gertie, pleased ta meetcha."
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Hmm," Alfonse says, the beginnings of a plan forming regardless of his immediate disinterest. "I suppose we could always try to fish for it. Dangle it into the shallow water in the area where the nets have been missing. Poke at it if and when it surfaces to take our bait."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Aramia smiles at Gertie.

"Honoured to meet you ma'am!"

She nods wisely at the fisherman's words, muttering "Just below the surface, hmmm..."

As Alfonse begins to outline a plan she smiles encouragingly and listens closely, brow a little furrowed.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Fild looks at Alfonse. "Fish for a monster? That would make the Gods laugh. But perhaps in a good way." Then he turns to the gnomes and speaks in common.
"Lads, do you think it's possible to equip a strong pulley or crane on a boat, in a way that it would help us pull up a biggie, along with some counter-weights on the other side so that the boat doesn't capsize? Perhaps movable counter-weights in case the thing moves around?
And how big a boat do you think we would need for that?"
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Fild looks at Alfonse. "Fish for a monster? That would make the Gods laugh. But perhaps in a good way." Then he turns to the gnomes and speaks in common.
"Lads, do you think it's possible to equip a strong pulley or crane on a boat, in a way that it would help us pull up a biggie, along with some counter-weights on the other side so that the boat doesn't capsize? Perhaps movable counter-weights in case the thing moves around?
And how big a boat do you think we would need for that?"
One of the gnomes says,
''I've seen heavy loads moved about with a crane, but not on a boat. I think the boat would have be very large. A ship? But I don't know boats so well--you'd better ask the fishermen.''