ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

BEYOND POVERO: CRABCLAW Prelude

Post by ewancummins »

THE ESTUARY
in sight of
KARSE-PORT

The caravel Fortune’s Fool, sailing out of its homeport of Povero and bound for the Isles of the Zikandroon, makes an unscheduled anchorage off its planned route, at the small city of Karse-port along the great estuary of the Crabclaw Peninsula.
Varnish peeled by salt spray, rigging in shreds and spars all splintered, the Fortune’s Fool presents a sad contrast to the trim, well-fitted craft that sailed out from the docks of Povero weeks ago.

The sailors pour oil and wine into the calm waters as a libation to the Speaker-in-Storms, in thanks for a safe arrival in port after the gale battered their ship on the open seas.

Fisherman in small boats row past the damaged caravel, putting out for the further reaches of the sheltered estuary. Folk gather on the quays of Karse-port stare and point, their voices raised on a babble muffled by the sea-breezes, but most of the gawkers soon return to other activities; laboring, strolling, buying goods off small boats.

From the deck of the Fortune’s Fool, Karse-port looks a lot smaller than Povero, though still big enough to be called a city. Crowds of pedestrians, a scattering of riders, and several wagons move about the nearer lanes and courtyards visible from the ship. A brown river flows south through the middle of town, separating the eastern districts of high-gabled stone houses and cobbled roads from the western slums of muddy lanes, lean-tos, and wooden hovels. Morning sunlight glints off the polearms of a small party men posted on the arched stone bridge that spans the river and connects the two areas. Further upstream and inland on the eastern side, a white-domed building rises in the hillier part of the town—possibly a temple or palace. Sections of a curtain wall can be seen on the inland sides of the eastern city, but the buildings and low hills rising in line of sight make it impossible for anyone on the Fortune’s Fool to see the whole of these defensive works.

Not long after the caravel lurches into the sheltered bay and the passengers get their first good look at Karse-port from the water, sailors come to find them and tell them the ship's master, Skipper Torbert, needs to speak with then, right away.

On their way to the cabin, the passengers see two longboats drawing nigh the portside, and sailors on The Fortune's Fool casting ropes down for the occupants--a clerkish-looking man clutching a ledger and long quill accompanied by a small squad of guards in studded leather with stabbing swords hung at their belts.

Once the passengers have huddled into the ship master's cabin, Skipper Torbert informs them all that he will not be able to sail on to the Isles of the Zikandroon for at least a fortnight, owing to the necessity of repairing the damage caravel and laying in additional supplies.
"I'm sorry'', he says, "but there's nothing to be done for it. Now, I'm going to join the inspection of the vessel. I'd advise you to come along, as your baggage will be looked over too."

Any passengers who take the ship master's advice find the inspection below decks already underway. The clerk shines a borrowed lamp over cargo, including the party's kit. He scratches down some notes in his ledger. The clerk moves with practiced ease and speed, poking and prodding, looking for hidden compartments, false bottoms, and the like.

He comes to the party's two chests...

''Oh!" He says, after popping open one chest and clearing away some cloth and foodstuffs.

He's found the party's valuables.

Neither the clerk nor the guards attempt to seize the treasure, although they all seem astounded at the sight of the jewels and gold coins.
And while the port inspector’s clerk does leaf through the papers the adventurers seized from Master Aldron Folbre, stored in the second chest, he just hums and looks thoughtful a moment before replacing these.

After the clerk informs the shipmaster that all aboard are cleared for travel into the city, he departs the caravel with his armed guards.

Skipper Torbert then calls his passengers back to his cabin. He peeks out the window, then closes the shutter and the door before sitting down behind his cramped work desk.
He clears his throat rather loudly.
“Well, then...I knew you must have had more money after seeing how easily you let go of the gold coins you paid in passage, but I didn’t know you were that rich, or I’d have charged you a higher fare!”
Torbert laughs, which shakes the little desk at which he sits when his belly bumps one side.

“Look here, friends, I advise you to exchange some of those jewels for steel. Arm up. Because you lot are liable to be robbed not long after you enter in town. The port officials might be honest, but I reckon at least one of those guardsmen will start talking at the pub after his shift, if not sooner. It’s not every day a man opens a box expecting some fancy clothes or brandy or what have you and lays eyes on such treasures.”
Last edited by ewancummins on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: BEYOND POVERO: CRABCLAW

Post by Adam »

Before the inspection

Alfonse looks eagerly over the rail through bleary eyes, his skin possessing a slightly greenish tint from days on rough seas. He smells deeply the smell of land, not even paying attention to the reek of a city that comes along with it. He is almost about to head to the gangplank and get onto dry ground when he is approached by the crew and told to meet with the captain. Bitterly, he turns and moves that direction.

During the inspection
Alfonse crosses his arms in annoyance as their things are revealed. "Oh for the love of..." he trails off, seeing the gleam of avarice in the eyes of the guards. "Is it really so much to ask that we be able to just have something go right..."

After the inspection
Alfonse is secretly relieved at the prospect of not going back out to sea TOO soon, but the merchant in his blood won't let the delay go that easily. "So, I suppose there will be a 10% refund, given the delay?" he says. "We'll be happy to do what we can to speed things along, here. Perhaps you need someone to acquire supplies from the town?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Before the inspection

Alfonse looks eagerly over the rail through bleary eyes, his skin possessing a slightly greenish tint from days on rough seas. He smells deeply the smell of land, not even paying attention to the reek of a city that comes along with it. He is almost about to head to the gangplank and get onto dry ground when he is approached by the crew and told to meet with the captain. Bitterly, he turns and moves that direction.

During the inspection
Alfonse crosses his arms in annoyance as their things are revealed. "Oh for the love of..." he trails off, seeing the gleam of avarice in the eyes of the guards. "Is it really so much to ask that we be able to just have something go right..."

After the inspection
Alfonse is secretly relieved at the prospect of not going back out to sea TOO soon, but the merchant in his blood won't let the delay go that easily. "So, I suppose there will be a 10% refund, given the delay?" he says. "We'll be happy to do what we can to speed things along, here. Perhaps you need someone to acquire supplies from the town?"
After the inspection

----

"I can't do the refund now. The costs of repair, and all... Storms are sent by the gods. You won't get coin back from them, either."
The Skipper chuckles.
"But if you can get me supplies at a lower cost, I'll be pleased to rebate the cost of your passage by however much you save me. Indeed, if you obtain a big enough savings, I'll return your fare and then some. If you feel this is something you can handle, I'll write out a list of the things needed and send it into town with you. Fair enough?"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

ewancummins wrote:
Adam wrote:Before the inspection

During the inspection

After the inspection
After the inspection

----

"I can't do the refund now. The costs of repair, and all... Storms are sent by the gods. You won't get coin back from them, either."
The Skipper chuckles.
"But if you can get me supplies at a lower cost, I'll be pleased to rebate the cost of your passage by however much you save me. Indeed, if you obtain a big enough savings, I'll return your fare and then some. If you feel this is something you can handle, I'll write out a list of the things needed and send it into town with you. Fair enough?"
Without looking at the others, Bennedict nods agreement. "Anything to get ashore for awhile," he says.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Torbert grins.
"Good! You seem a capable man. I'll write out the list. But first, care for a glass of brandy? And there's grog for your crew if they go on the top deck and get in line with the sailors. I like to give the men a drink before they debark, so they aren't so thirsty when they reach the pubs."

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

After inspection:

Fild dons his most winning smile and asks Skipper Tolbert. "If I may ask, how much would it cost to send two letters back to Povero? Addressed to fancy nobles at that?"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:After inspection:

Fild dons his most winning smile and asks Skipper Tolbert. "If I may ask, how much would it cost to send two letters back to Povero? Addressed to fancy nobles at that?"

"When do you need them there? If it isn't urgent, I will carry them free of charge. But it would take a month, maybe. You need the letters there sooner?"

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"Oh, thank you, thank you! Nope. 1 month is perfect. I don't want them to arrive too soon. I just want to inform a couple of friends that we arrived here safely. They may be busy beforehand. Let them miss us, I say.

Free of charge you say? Well, I will still buy you a drink, or two, in a drinking house of your choice sir. Better two drinks. Two letters, two drinks."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:"Oh, thank you, thank you! Nope. 1 month is perfect. I don't want them to arrive too soon. I just want to inform a couple of friends that we arrived here safely. They may be busy beforehand. Let them miss us, I say.

Free of charge you say? Well, I will still buy you a drink, or two, in a drinking house of your choice sir. Better two drinks. Two letters, two drinks."
"Ah yes. Good gnome. I may indeed see you in a portside public house. And if not, why, you can always pour out a libation on my behalf, asking for fair winds and gentle seas."

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Alfonse nods gratefully. "A glass of brandy would be lovely."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Alfonse nods gratefully. "A glass of brandy would be lovely."
The Skipper glances over Alfonse's companions and motions toward the door of the crowded cabin.

''As I said, there's grog for your crew out there. Now, then...''

He bangs the wall.
A sailor opens the door to let out anyone who is leaving the cabin.

Torbert opens a small chest and unwraps a bottle and two thick goblets of brown glass. He opens the larboard window-hatch, dripples a little brandy out into the waters while murmuring a prayer, and then begins filling the cups for himself and Alfonse.

''A toast? You make it, say?"

http://pin.it/aFQZqLP

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Alfonse lifts the glass. "To new business opportunities," before sipping appreciatively at the alcohol.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Alfonse lifts the glass. "To new business opportunities," before sipping appreciatively at the alcohol.

The brandy tastes very strong after a wearying sea voyage with rainwater, thin grog, and sour wine to drink.

Torbert drinks.
He wipes his mouth with the back of his off hand.

"Yes. Opportunities. In the Zikandroon Isles, perhaps?"
The fat shipmaster grins.
"It's alright--I won't pry. Your business is yours. I only warned you about thievery here in the Crabclaw because of what I saw in your coffers during the inspection and because of what I know about this city . Karse-port's infested with robbers and ne-er-do-wells. Word has it the guards are corrupt. With infighting between the rich families and nobles, basic law and order have suffered. "

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

OPEN DECK

Having cast a line over the poop deck, GERTIE enjoys a quiet moment angling in the estuary.

Quiet--until something big bites! BIG!
The thing in the water pulls so hard GERTIE skids against the rail along the stern. She drags her line upward.
It snaps, the sudden release throwing her off balance --- but she recovers her footing in an instant and doesn't fall.

Whatever she had on the line got off the hook. Peering into the foamy patch stirred by the struggle, Gertie cannot make out the fish.
If it was a fish...

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

CABIN
ALFONSE and THE SKIPPER

Thumping noises come through the cabin's low ceiling.

Torbert glances upward, "Eh? "

He looks at Alfonse." Something on the poop deck."