RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away CHAPTER EIGHT

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away CHAPTER EIGHT

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict carefully transfers the thumbpring to a piece of paper and tucks it away within his journal. It may be useful, or it may not. In any case, he looks in his records for a copy of Jonathon Matyr's fingerprints to compare it to, though he doubts they are the same.

Once that is done, he will inquire with a gendarmes as to the location of Captain Thibault, so as to confer with him more closely.

The thumbprint does not match the prints he took off Jon's silver hunting knife with the raven claw pommel.

Through the gendarmes, he learns that Captain Thibault has returned to the Lorelei to investigate the arson there last night.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict heads that way, promptly.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict heads that way, promptly.

LATER THAT MORNING

When BENN arrives at the Lorelei, he finds Captain Thibault out front having a loud conversation with a workman.
"-now! I don't care what the owner told you, and I haven't more time to bandy words with a menial. If I see or even hear of more fresh whitewash or paint on this building, I'll clap you in irons."

BENN can see scorch marks on the rococo facade of the brothel, and wet paint over one section near the ground.

Thibault's men, nearby, are questioning men and women in the street or keeping watch on the thin crowd of pedestrians.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict comes forward towards the captain. "What in the hells?" he says without preamble, pointing at the paint. "Someone is taking the time to paint walls during a fire?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict comes forward towards the captain. "What in the hells?" he says without preamble, pointing at the paint. "Someone is taking the time to paint walls during a fire?"
Captain Thibault says, ''Not during. After. Your old acquaintance, Madam Sophie, apparently ordered workers to do an immediate repair of the damage from last night. For business reasons, I presume. But I have put a stop to this. I thought you might want a look at the scene as it was.''

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict rubs the bridge of his nose. "Yes, that would be best. " He turns and gives the space a perfunctory examination, though he mutters that most of the trace evidence has probably been disrupted.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict rubs the bridge of his nose. "Yes, that would be best. " He turns and gives the space a perfunctory examination, though he mutters that most of the trace evidence has probably been disrupted.

THE LORELEI

BENN finds a trace of sticky residue on some of the scorched stucco.

It could be tar. But it might also be something like the mixture used in the arson of the boarding house.

Only a careful analysis in the lab or by magic can determine that.
Last edited by ewancummins on Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Raen looks at his comrades as the alchemist turns his back and makes a head nod to Sara to keep an eye on the agitated man in case he makes a run for it.

THE ALCHEMIST''S SHOP

FLAMMARION returns with two pieces of metal.

One looks silvery-gold and the other like antique silver. The first shaped like a pyramid, about twice the size of typical dice used by gamblers. The tarnished silver piece is flat and squareish, looking like an exotic coin.
Both the electrum and the old silver show tiny marks-- maybe decoration or some unfamiliar script.

But perhaps not totally unfamiliar...
Raen has seen something like these markings someplace else...

But where?

Something to do with a cellar?

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Alchemist's shop
Raen frowns. "Of course, the day that I don't prepare a spell to comprehend languages that was bound to happen. Thank you my good man. Here is the money I promised to you. If we're done with these and survive, I'll return them to you."

He hands the alchemist some money and examines the items closer.
He turns to the two women "Those marks were seen in the cellar, remember? Do you know where we could find someone to read those? Or it has to wait until I prepare the right magic to decipher it tomorrow."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"For sure I'm not an expert but let me look at them."

Sara takes the coins and examines the writing as well.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat makes absolutely no effort to read the script herself, but she does look thoughtful, then shrugs with a smile.

"I know a few small time sages. But frankly, by the far the best person I know for something like this is some guy called Raen. I hear he knows this stuff!"

She gives him a cheeky grin, then looks thoughtful again.

"Or Benn, actually. He knows a lot of weird stuff"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

OUT FRONT

ALAIN keeps watch on the street scene, tucked into a gap behind a pillar and a wall near the alchemist's shop front entrance.
Not much foot traffic today, and no wagons or riders.
A light drift of ash and dust blows southward down the lane, with the first dead leaves of an early arriving autumn scudding along beneath the haze.
The warm air carries a stuffy feel despite the breeze. Alain catches a whiff of brimstone, mixed with woodsmoke and the familiar odor of city filth.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict pulls a small bottle and knife from one of his seemingly infinite pockets, scraping a small sample of the resin from the wall. "I've heard of alchemical fire that's engineered to make the fuel adhere to the subject, letting it burn almost continually. Diabolical stuff."

He stands and turns towards Thibault. "Do you have a runner nearby? I have an alchemist who could examine this and determine its origin. I'm curious if the fires were started from the same source."

He turns to Thibault and gestures to the side, trying to get the man somewhere private from eavesdroppers.

"I've received a communication from someone claiming to be the arsonists," he says, pulling out the letter. "They're claiming to be Falkovnians dissidents in the city. It could be true, or it could be a way of stirring up dissent and pointing us away from the real culprit. Either way, it's dangerous. Tensions are going to be running high as it is, and I don't want to see mobs of our people storming through the ghettos, taking justice in their own hands." He hands the note to the Captain.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict pulls a small bottle and knife from one of his seemingly infinite pockets, scraping a small sample of the resin from the wall. "I've heard of alchemical fire that's engineered to make the fuel adhere to the subject, letting it burn almost continually. Diabolical stuff."

He stands and turns towards Thibault. "Do you have a runner nearby? I have an alchemist who could examine this and determine its origin. I'm curious if the fires were started from the same source."

He turns to Thibault and gestures to the side, trying to get the man somewhere private from eavesdroppers.

"I've received a communication from someone claiming to be the arsonists," he says, pulling out the letter. "They're claiming to be Falkovnians dissidents in the city. It could be true, or it could be a way of stirring up dissent and pointing us away from the real culprit. Either way, it's dangerous. Tensions are going to be running high as it is, and I don't want to see mobs of our people storming through the ghettos, taking justice in their own hands." He hands the note to the Captain.
"You were right to entrust the note to me. We need to investigate before this information becomes known to more persons."
Thibault looks about the street.
"Of course you can use my runner."
He spots his messsenger and waves the man over.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict gives the runner directions to the alchemist's shop, and quickly scribbles a note describing the location and context where the residue was collected and a request to analyze it.